Supergirl Season 4, Episode 2: "Fallout" (SPOILERS)

I imagine some will not be a big fan of how heavily they are leaning into the alien immigration storyline as a lot of people watch these shows for escapism, but I think so far it's been fairly well handled and this weeks ep had a lot of good character scenes, especially the stuff between Nia and James and the stuff with Brainy.

Speaking of Nia, yes I don't think many people would guess she is transgender, in fact even now I suspect many people who just watch the show and don't follow it as we do on here will be thinking it's a female actress playing a trans woman. However putting all that aside I think first and foremost she's a good actress and has added an interesting character into the mix.

The image of Supergirl with the American flag outside of the White House was like a classic comic book panel, and I am loving Rhona Mitra as Mercy, the exchange between her and Lena was great. That whole scene of them scampering around L Corp was pretty funny and I liked how all three actresses remembered they were running in non sensible shoes which added to the awkward comedy as Kara tried to seperate herself so she could become Supergirl.

The only thing I thought didn't work was Agent Liberty giving his big speech in full costume and mask, why would those people trust a man dressed like that, hiding his face at a time when they are concerned about transparency? I wonder if there's going to be an explanation as to why he never takes the mask off.

While it's true that people watch these shows for escapism, good sci-fi like Star Trek (in its classic form, as opposed to its Kelvin form) have often had parallels with other earth events. Lots of these things have been allegorised so that they can make some kind of social commentary. It's still great to watch and doesn't affect any enjoyability. It's still escapist enough and no reason to leave these boards as some people have done here before.

I would have thought Nia was a female playing a transgender woman if I hadn't been following on these boards. Not everyone who watches reads up on the latest news. I didn't even remember they were having a transgender character until she brought it up this episode. In the first episode of season 4, I just assumed she was a regular female.

While it's true that people watch these shows for escapism, good sci-fi like Star Trek (in its classic form, as opposed to its Kelvin form) have often had parallels with other earth events. Lots of these things have been allegorised so that they can make some kind of social commentary. It's still great to watch and doesn't affect any enjoyability. It's still escapist enough and no reason to leave these boards as some people have done here before.

I would have thought Nia was a female playing a transgender woman if I hadn't been following on these boards. Not everyone who watches reads up on the latest news. I didn't even remember they were having a transgender character until she brought it up this episode. In the first episode of season 4, I just assumed she was a regular female.

I think the difference is that with other genre examples is they tackle a socially relevant topic in a single ep, this season is setting up for 22 eps covering the topic.

I think the difference is that with other genre examples is they tackle a socially relevant topic in a single ep, this season is setting up for 22 eps covering the topic.
Well, it varied with JMS Aka
J. Michael Straczynski‏Verified account @straczynski who has worked for marvel he created thing 's like She ra's in the 80's & more , But he's known mostly Babylone 5 explore it with both it's mutant telepaths and alien in one places they had racial tention's they were done certain story ark's through out the babylon 5 season's of it's series. this show was the rivaled to star trek mostly Deep space 9 .

Some other series aligory wise explored them longer then others too.

Last edited:
She does pass amazingly well. Her voice doesn't even have a hint of deepness. It's not like Blake Jenner who became Kylie Jenner, but still looks rather masculine.

If she hadn't mentioned, and I hadn't remembered they were actually casting a transgender actor, I would think that she was just saying it as part of the plot, but that it was actually a female actress playing the part. Maybe many people watching might think that too. After all, there have been other TV shows or films where there's been that sort of plot, but it was played by someone born female. Didn't Hilary Swank play something like that?

I think though that they should've waited a few more episodes to say that she was transgender. Let people get used to her as a female, then spring it on the audience later on.
There's a big difference between someone like Catlin (formerly Bruce) Jenner who transitioned to a woman in her 50/60s and someone like Nicole Maines who turned 21 a couple of weeks ago and has been living as a female since early childhood, basically since she had to the words to express she was a girl rather than a boy. Once she reached the age where her body started male puberty Nicole was given female hormones that stopped that and started a female puberty instead. Because she never went through male puberty Nicole has a female voice and stature, she's tall for a woman but so is Melissa and they seem about the same height. Catlin Jenner had been a full grown man, married twice to women and fathered several children before transitioning so her body wasn't able to change nearly to the extent as younger person like Nicole.

Fun fact Nicole Maines has an identical twin brother named Jonas. Here's a picture of the them as teenagers and the article to go with it Transgender Maine teen in court fighting for right to use girls bathroom... and is supported by her identical twin brother | Daily Mail Online.
article-2340490-1A481F63000005DC-149_634x416.jpg

Genetically speaking they are still identical twins because transiting to the opposite sex doesn't change your DNA. It's interesting to be able to see exactly what Nicole would look as male.

There's a big difference between someone like Catlin (formerly Bruce) Jenner who transitioned to a woman in her 50/60s and someone like Nicole Maines who turned 21 a couple of weeks ago and has been living as a female since early childhood, basically since she had to the words to express she was a girl rather than a boy. Once she reached the age where her body started male puberty Nicole was given female hormones that stopped that and started a female puberty instead. Because she never went through male puberty Nicole has a female voice and stature, she's tall for a woman but so is Melissa and they seem about the same height. Catlin Jenner had been a full grown man, married twice to women and fathered several children before transitioning so her body wasn't able to change nearly to the extent as younger person like Nicole.

Fun fact Nicole Maines has an identical twin brother named Jonas. Here's a picture of the them as teenagers and the article to go with it Transgender Maine teen in court fighting for right to use girls bathroom... and is supported by her identical twin brother | Daily Mail Online.
article-2340490-1A481F63000005DC-149_634x416.jpg

Genetically speaking they are still identical twins because transiting to the opposite sex doesn't change your DNA. It's interesting to be able to see exactly what Nicole would look as male.

Bruce and Caitlyn. Those are the names! I couldn't remember. I thought it was Blake and Kylie, or maybe Blake and Kim, but that didn't sound right. Too many Jenners.

When was that picture taken? How come Jonas looks more like a spotty teen than Nicole?

I was watching this interview with her:

She keeps doing this weird thing where she makes her eyeballs briefly disappear behind her eyelids when she's talking, like she's getting Storm's white eyes.

Bruce and Caitlyn. Those are the names! I couldn't remember. I thought it was Blake and Kylie, or maybe Blake and Kim, but that didn't sound right. Too many Jenners.

When was that picture taken? How come Jonas looks more like a spotty teen than Nicole?
The article is from June 2013 so they would've been 15 years old when that picture was taken.

So far, they've been handling social issues [ this season ((meaning only these last two eps as yet)) ] in a way that hasn't come across as a baseball bat to the face. I'm hoping as well that they've learned to modulate their social commentary.

And in response to Nia Nal having progeny in the distant future, we don't know what her history was BTC (before the change.) They might surprise us with a story line where she finds out she has a child she never knew about. Wouldn't that be a fun episode!

Is Nia Nal meant to be one of the Legion? Or her descendant? And is she actually transgender in the comics?

Why can't they ever show the full Legion? Why do we have to only get a few at a time?

Is Nia Nal meant to be one of the Legion? Or her descendant? And is she actually transgender in the comics?
Nia Nal is not the same character from the comics (which is Nura Nal aka Dream Girl) and according to the producers they intend Nia be a ancestor/distant relative of Nura Nal who is part of the Legion. As far as I know Nura isn't a transgender.

I thought this was an ok episode.

Seeing Tron as the VP and now P was cool.

I laughed at Agent Liberty being Trump, but as a better speaker. You could easily replace "alien" with any slurs used for minorities. That's the kind of talk you'd hear from Trump and his supporters.

Kara trying to get away for her costume change gave some amusing moments.

It was weird that the writers decided to have some anti-alien members within the DEO when the DEO was led by J'onn. Even to the point that one would side with and release Mercy and Otis.

I see it as that character having just reached his 'tipping point.' As long as he believed that the DEO was setting America first as priority, he may have been fine pushing his prejudice aside in order to get the job done. And who knows how long disenchantment had been setting in?

Melissa jogging around Lexcorp as Kara and then when Supergirl burst in and grabbed Mercy was her at her absolutely most lovely.

In retrospect, why hasn't anyone else tried the "infusing the sky" with kryptonite move before?

So, Mercy got the Kryptonite by stealing from L-Corp. Who thinks that won't come home to roost with Lena..?

In retrospect, why hasn't anyone else tried the "infusing the sky" with kryptonite move before?
Lex did. Remember, that device was one of his prototypes designed for this exact purpose, but he was never able to get it working properly. Then Lena did, and just used it for lead instead.

I've really liked the past two episodes. There are political overtones to be sure, but that's what's made them interesting for my tastes at least. Then again, I'm a political junky who really only knows the Supergirl character from this show as opposed to the comics.

I even like how they made Otis Mercy Graves's brother which is an interesting twist and update to the character from the Reeve films.

I'm still curious about what part the Russian Supergirl is gonna play this season given that Agent Liberty and Mercy appear to be this seasons big bads.

Or at least this half of the season's big bads. I could see them drifting to the background when Russiangirl finally shows up-

Oh, that's the reason for the super suit!! It's not being worn by Russiangirl, but Supergirl in order to keep from being effected by the kryptonite! Maybe... I was just suddenly thinking how is Kara's doppleganger handling the kryptonite poisoning in the air, and if she might make an earlier appearance when I thought about the supersuit.

So, Mercy got the Kryptonite by stealing from L-Corp. Who thinks that won't come home to roost with Lena..?
Mercy said she got the Kryptonite from the dark web. She had it before breaking into L-Corp. When she showed it to him Agent Liberty said they had to be careful about making Supergirl a martyr.

If she got it from the dark web, how does she know it's pure kryptonite? It might have other stray ingredients like tar.

Mercy said she got the Kryptonite from the dark web. She had it before breaking into L-Corp. When she showed it to him Agent Liberty said they had to be careful about making Supergirl a martyr.

Of, right! Thanks for the correction.

A little detail I noticed on my re-watch - right before the new president's swearing in, they tested him with one of Lena's alien detection devices. So I guess those are officially on the market now. I thought that was a nice little touch, because in that world, you know that test would become standard protocol after this debacle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"