Supergirl Season 4, Episode 2: "Fallout" (SPOILERS)

LL2K2

Maid of Might
Reaction score
Official description released today:

CHAOS IN NATIONAL CITY — A shocking revelation causes chaos in National City. Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) sets out to capture Mercy Graves (guest star Rhona Mitra), while Alex (Chyler Leigh) takes control at the DEO. Back at CatCo, Kara decides to write an investigative story on Mercy and asks Lena (Katie McGrath) if she can interview her as Mercy has ties to the Luthors. Meanwhile, Brainy (Jesse Rath) meets Nia (Nicole Maines) and the two end up in a precarious situation. Harry Jierjian directed the episode with story by Dana Horgan and teleplay by Maria Maggenti & Daniel Beaty (#402).

New writers alert! Dana Horgan joins the show from Once Upon a Time; Maria Maggenti wrote last year's Groundhog Day-esque fantasy romance Before I Fall and was a staff writer on Without a Trace and the short-lived MTV series Finding Carter; Daniel Beaty has done mostly documentary work 'til now.

Also, this is Harry Jierjian's first time directing on the show. He was an editor on S1 and has directed two episodes of The Flash - one terrible, one decent. So basically, expectation-wise, this episode is a crapshoot, lol. But the description sounds more interesting than the premiere to me, at least.

Who is Mercy Graves meant to be in this universe?

So I'm guessing Lynda Carter will be featuring again. But why isn't Cat Grant showing up too? Is she meant to be the White House press secretary? Or was it another position? I don't think it was Secretary of State. Surely Cat would guest star now that the cat has been let out of the bag.

Does Cat know the President is an alien?

Also it would be a good time for Cat to reveal she knows Kara is Supergirl.

Cat found out the president was an alien in S2 when she was hitching a ride with Olivia on Air Force One which then crashed, before she became press secretary. They're former roommates and she wasn't too shocked.

Again I must ask...why are the writers making Kara this naive? I understand Supergirl and Superman are supposed to be these shining beacons of hope and optimism in the world, but Kara's been around the world and the block- literally- enough times to understand that the world isn't as progressive and forward-thinking as she thinks.

The President mightve been a good one but Kara...you cant expect this to have been a secret and then outted and people take to it lightly.

Still hate that J'onn has been taken out of the action. Gotta keep your actual alien characters at bay....

This show really needs to give us flashbacks, it could help with fleshing out the Luthors and other characters.

Since Alex is the new J'onn, who is the new Alex?

Kara being all "....I dont need these" was funny. And now she cant even take off her glasses and go to work.

Last edited:
Of course "got Kara to safety and just managed to not break any walls or anything while coming out of the same exact room she was in!"

I did not need to be reminded that this series has a transgender on it...
Well to be fair, while it's been all over the news and been the big topic of discussion outside of the show all summer, they hadn't actually mentioned it at all in the show yet.

And I get that, yeah, it's been relevant since the casting, but still not a fan of it personally.

And I get that, yeah, it's been relevant since the casting, but still not a fan of it personally.

Why? The fact that they bothered to bring it up in the show? How they handled it in the show? That they even brought in a trans actor/character in general?

Having one of your POC being a *****e to your "AOC"....

How is this agent even working here....does he not know that J'onn was an Alien? Is he new? Did the President even do anything bad for the country?

They shouldnt have started off this show with Aliens being so integrated. Would've made this all somewhat better even though I think this show doesnt know how to write this type of storyline with justice.

Oh yeah totally be fine with the guy preaching to you in a iron mask.....you can TOTALLY trust him.

Stupid people....how do you know this guy isnt an alien?

Not sure what the problem is with Nia mentioning to James that she is transgender, it fit within the context of the scene. And exactly what is wrong with bringing in a transgender actor/character into the show Nick?

I think them being so integrated fits much better with that is happening today in the news. It's not like immigrants here today have not integrated. To have them not integrated as they are would take us back to the 1920s America...and it would not parallel what is happening today. Although we have a President that would like for us to go back to the 1920s....So far I think they have done a fantastic job of bringing us into this topic, keeping it relevant with what is happening today and not making it preachy which was a problem before.

Great follow up to the premiere, but I agree that Kara has been on Earth for years to see the Anti-Alien Sentiment happening as I alluded to last weekend.

However let’s not forget that Kara is currently split in two as she’s more Human than her counterpart in Russia, who may be more alien.

I like that it ends in a cliffhanger. I am starting to get an idea about that armored suit.

Apparently Nia's sleeping was a nod to Dreamer and her emerging powers....never would've thought of that if it werent spelled out on a website.

Not sure what the problem is with Nia mentioning to James that she is transgender, it fit within the context of the scene. And exactly what is wrong with bringing in a transgender actor/character into the show Nick?

Not to try to put words in their mouth but I am going to guess they just arent a fan of trans people.

You guessed correctly. But that's a longer conversation unrelated to the show. I mean, it's in the show, so not much I can do about it, but doesn't mean I'm going to be a fan of it.

I'm almost afraid to say anything for fear of jinxing, but...I don't actually hate the way this show is tackling its "real world issues" this year. I thought it would be super cringe-y because it has been whenever they've tried it in the past, but so far they're handling it relatively decently, imo. My re-watch of last week's ep softened my stance on that one a little bit, and even Kara's televised speech in this one came across far less cheesy than her "hope" speech at the end of S1 to me. So far I put this new creative team that worked on tonight's episode in the "not bad" column.

Kara being all fidgety because she's desperate to get away from Lena and Eve to go Supergirl, and Lena interpreting that as Kara just being her scared mousy friend was very fun to watch. Nice to see the lead dispersal device finally getting used for it's original purpose, haha. And I think we saw a glimpse of the Power Rangers suit that will help Kara through this scenario down in Lena's lab this ep.

Interesting way to bring in Manchester Black. I have to wonder now if they're gonna make him an alien.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"