Supergirl Season 6, Episode 4: "Lost Souls" (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Official description:
SUPERGIRL FINDS A WAY HOME – Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) finds an opportunity to escape from the Phantom Zone but it comes with some dangerous strings attached. Meanwhile, Lena (Katie McGrath) joins the Super Friends on a mission but finds she disagrees with their plan of action against the Phantoms and wonders if she is truly ready to be a part of the team. Alysse Leite-Rogers directed the episode written by Karen E. Maser & Nicki Holcomb (#604). Original airdate 4/20/2021.

So yep, just as I predicted in the Episode 2 discussion thread, looks like she's finally getting out at the end of this one.

I think the premise of this is that Kara finds a way home but it fails or she has to sacrifice that to save someone else.

Since the showrunners were talking about how Kara has to deal with the trauma and ramifications of this storyline upon her return, and she's otherwise seemed pretty fine with Phantom Zone so far, I'm gonna guess something happens to Zor-El in this escape attempt.

Since the showrunners were talking about how Kara has to deal with the trauma and ramifications of this storyline upon her return, and she's otherwise seemed pretty fine with Phantom Zone so far, I'm gonna guess something happens to Zor-El in this escape attempt.
Probably some sort of coma leading her to "think back to the prom" as a segway into the Midvale eps.

My pre-episode prediction is that Nyxly is gonna be set up as the season's Big Bad.

J'onn mentioning a global pandemic.

These writers think they're so slick. But it wouldn't be Supergirl if it wasn't super on-the-nose with topical stuff.

Brainy a Ghostbusters fan, ha!

Ok I'm not trusting Nyxly AT ALL now, lol. Zor-El's "injury" and the way that played out was super shady. Is he even real?!

Welp, that went about exactly as I expected, but it was good. I'm excited about Nyxly as a villain, not gonna lie. I enjoyed Mxy as a "good guy" last time, but the show had yet to really capitalize on how scary these 5th dimensional beings can be, so hopefully the writers will be able to have quite a bit of fun with that since she's apparently a series regular for the season.

The Alex and Lena stuff was great. Nice to have Lena officially part of the team. Though her sudden dogged determination to rescue Kara above else makes her total disconnect in episode 2 even more glaring than it already was. Seriously, what WAS up with that episode?? :funny:

Next week looks fun, though I'm guessing much like this whole PZ arc, the Midvale stuff is gonna be stretched out longer than is warranted.

For some reason, I found this episode to be the most engaging of the season. (Which is to say: I didn’t have to pause/take a break every few minutes out of sheer boredom. :word:) Maybe it was because the twin plotlines (Kara trying to escape, and the team trying to rescue her) seemed more focused and integrated. And there was no extraneous CatCo stuff.

However, the “emotional scenes” (this time between Alex and Lena) continue to be clumsy. There’s no subtlety or nuance involved. Everything the characters are feeling is literally described in expository dialogue.

Also: time travel? They can do that? What am I saying? — of course they can do that. :cwink:

Feels like it's been a while since we had the opening intro, can't say I missed it.

Ghostbusters!

I agree with @Dr., the emotional scenes have mostly been falling flat. I feel like everything with Kara and her father in the PZ should work but they just don't because there's no real emotional connection there.

I probably enjoyed this episode the most so far as well. I'm curious if the original plan was for Kara to get out using the mirror but they tweaked it a little bit due to Melissa's leave.

I'm pretty sure the girl who turned into a phantom at the Grand Central Station was Melissa's stunt double as well.

Lena joining the team just works too.

Next week looks fun but two weeks of the Midvale flashbacks? Ehh.

I suspected before that there was something off and untrustworthy about Nyxly. Turns out that suspicion was correct. Maybe she'll want revenge now against Kara back on earth.

What was the idea of having the "My name is Kara Zor-El" intro suddenly this week? I'm not against it generally and welcome it, but this episode seemed like the oddest time to reintroduce it. First off, Kara is still stuck in the Phantom Zone, and second she's not even with her friends and family. It doesn't really fit the tone. It would've been better if they brought it back once she arrived back on earth.

The conflict between Chyler and Lena was good, and I'm glad Chyler convinced Lena to stay as part of the team. It's a step forward for Lena instead of retreating back to where she normally is.

This episode was a bit like a Star Trek: Voyager episode this week in that Kara destroyed the only way home for her and sacrificed her own opportunity because of the greater good of not allowing Nyxly to get to earth to wreak havoc.

I'm guessing Nyxly actually deserved to be in the Phantom Zone and wasn't innocent as she claimed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"