Supergirl SEASON 6, EPISODES 19-20: "The Last Gauntlet" / "Kara" - SERIES FINALE (SPOILERS)

Whether by accident or design, season 1 of S&L seemed to distance itself from the Arrowverse. It was only with the appearance of Diggle that we finally (!) had an acknowledgment of a shared continuity. Apparently. :ebr: Likewise, Jenna Dewan reprising Lucy Lane also implies an Arrowverse connection. (Though, not necessarily. It could be one of those wacky casting things along the lines of whatshername playing Renee Montoya on both Gotham and Batwoman.)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Supergirl remains unmentioned on S&L. It allows them, as it were, to continue to "fence straddle" as far as a shared vs. standalone universe is concerned.:shrug: I suspect Kara will only be acknowledged if and when Benoist makes a guest starring appearance.

I guess its fitting the conversation about the last episode of Supergirl seems more focused on other shows and series than the one that actually wrapped...

sigh

Anyway, the conclusion of the threat was whatever. Nothing we really haven't seen before on this show. That wasn't the real thing I wanted to see as the series end though.

It was good to see all the call backs and returns. Though Jimmy's Guardian ADR was really weird. Amazing to see Flockhart again. Wonderful to see Benoist and Jordan getting a duet. Brainy's open shirt had my mind wondering just how painted Jesse Rath got for the episode. As a series finale, I was satisfied.

As the final season, it was rough. Especially the beginning. But, they did seem to right the course eventually. I will kind of miss this show.

Whether by accident or design, season 1 of S&L seemed to distance itself from the Arrowverse. It was only with the appearance of Diggle that we finally (!) had an acknowledgment of a shared continuity. Apparently. :ebr: Likewise, Jenna Dewan reprising Lucy Lane also implies an Arrowverse connection. (Though, not necessarily. It could be one of those wacky casting things along the lines of whatshername playing Renee Montoya on both Gotham and Batwoman.)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Supergirl remains unmentioned on S&L. It allows them, as it were, to continue to "fence straddle" as far as a shared vs. standalone universe is concerned.:shrug: I suspect Kara will only be acknowledged if and when Benoist makes a guest starring appearance.
Oh eventually Lex Luthor will show up on Superman and Lois and they will have to mention Kara to say where he's been.

I just don't understand how this show became a glorofied childs show w barely any real threats and maturity to it. The writers really gave zero Totems about this season and phoned it in.

I mean, yeah, they struggled at the beginning, what with the unfinished last season and Benoist's pregnancy. That definitely was a lot of kinks they struggled with early on. But once they settled on the totem plot, I feel the season found its groove, mainly. The totems and Nxly were not the real main points. The overall "threat" was really an excuse to set up smaller, more individual stories for the cast before the show ended.

No, it wasn't the best season, but it had some rough things to overcome.

It was a silly, rushed, one cringy line including finale but above all those things, it was heartwarming. The writers managed to develop the side characters into something that often made us care more about them than the titular character. At least she got her chance to shine in the finale. Really nice to see Calista Flockheart too. I enjoyed the ride.

Oh and the "Only in the movies" line. :funny:

Last edited:
I guess its fitting the conversation about the last episode of Supergirl seems more focused on other shows and series than the one that actually wrapped...

sigh
Yep, Rao forbid Supergirl be discussed without talking about her more famous cousin. It’s not like her show came first or made his show possible.

Anyway, my thoughts on the ending. I haven’t cried like that during a series finale since Six Feet Under. I’m satisfied with how the story ended.

The Cat Grant of it all. I was so excited to see Calista, yes I squealed, and happy they kept that under wraps. She likely filmed her scenes in LA which made the surprise easier to keep. I’m happy we the audience and Kara know that Cat had known for years. That’s a thread I didn’t expect closer on. I also like that Cat got to finish the story she started six years before when she first interviewed Supergirl. There’s also a symmetry to it because Cat gave Kara the name Supergirl

It was lovely seeing Winn, James, and however briefly Mon-El. I must have rewound Melissa and Jeremy singing together a dozen times. While it took time I’m so glad that song was given the importance it deserved.

Lex definitely deserved being sent to the PZ and that it was his own doing was great. May he stay there and the character Lex Luthor never appear on CW again. Nyxly needed to be stopped but a small part of me feels bad that a man essentially sent her to the PZ again. RIP Lillian Luthor.

Every character got a good ending. Kara’s moving to a new chapter in her life we’re just not going to see it. Keeping her identity a secret was necessary when she was growing up and even when she first became Supergirl. At some point it became more of an obstacle for her than protection for her loved ones or herself. If something isn’t working change it if you can, that doesn’t mean the choice was wrong but circumstances change.

Having Calista Flockhart appear made it feel like the first season again, which is a good thing because I enjoyed that season. There was something more optimistic and hopeful about it. I would actually have liked to have seen a new season with Kara working again under Cat Grant at CatCo and having a public identity now. That would've injected a fresh lease of life into the series.

In fact, I think having Winn back would've also made it more interesting as I preferred him to Brainy.

I was wondering if they were going to lean into SuperCorp at the end but that would've probably been out of character with the show.

Also, at the funeral of William, did Andrea know by then that Kara was Supergirl? She was hanging out with all of the superfriends and even speaking as if they all were superheroes who had fought a battle.

Watching abnormallyadam's reaction to the last two episodes, that man is a predictable emotional wreck. :funny:

Supergirl be discussed without talking about her more famous cousin. It’s not like her show came first or made his show possible.
I don't see what talking about another show more in the thread about her series finale has to do with her showing coming first or how his show was made possible.

I don't see what talking about another show more in the thread about her series finale has to do with her showing coming first or how his show was made possible.
Ok, then why can’t many discuss the Supergirl finale without bringing up her more famous cousin. Yes, the characters are cousins but what I do isn’t framed in reference to my cousin.

I thought the ending was more than a bit awkward.
Kara is going to work with Cat Grant.
But, her secret's out?
How is that going to work?
It's as if the whole thing was designed as just one big reason for Kara to go away.
It did not have an organic feel to it, AT ALL!

Last edited:
I thought the ending was more than a bit awkward.
Kara is going to work with Cat Grant.
But, her secret's out?
How is that going to work?
It's as if the whole thing was designed as just one big reason for Kara to go away.
It did not have an organic feel to it, AT ALL!

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Also this could tie in to why she never appeared in Superman and Lois' 1st season.

It seems to me that the big winner from the series finale was Cat Grant!
Supergirl is now A HUGE part of her Corporate Empire, And, The Whole World Knows It!

It seems to me that the big winner from the series finale was Cat Grant!
Supergirl is now A HUGE part of her Corporate Empire, And, The Whole World Knows It!
True lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"