Sega: We Need to re-invent Sonic

Zenien

Reaction score
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158379

There won't be another PS3 or Xbox 360 game for a while

Hope you liked Sonic and the Secret Rings, as Sega president Simon Jeffery told Newsweek the Wii game was one of the company's first steps towards reinventing what the world perceives as Sonic. Even though Sonic the Hedgehog appears to have performed well commercially for the company, they seem to have recognized the 3D adventures in recent years haven't done much for the core fans.

"We are actually undergoing a fairly considerable refresh of Sonic as an intellectual property, as a character," said Jeffery.

And what this means for Sonic and friends is a break. "We're not going to be bringing another game out on the other platforms for quite some time, because we feel that it is time to reinvent Sonic, to make Sonic contemporary again. At the same time, even the recent 360 and Playstation 3 games have sold extremely well. Sonic is still an extremely endearing character; there's still a lot of love for Sonic out there in consumerland."

Sonic's already a part of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games so the blue hedgehog isn't exactly going anywhere, but it might be a little while before he's headlining another platforming adventure.

Maybe this time he'll finally leave his sidekicks behind.

Good. I dont know how Sega could have messed up so bad with their leading mascot. Sonic Adventure and its sequel were 2 great games so the argument about 3D Sonic games not being good cant apply. I think Sega needs to focus on what made SA1 so good and yes with the exception of Tails and Knuckles, the sidekicks need to stay away

I think his sidekicks are what make him interesting. Sidekicks are always more interesting than the main character most of the time.

Eh, I guess I like Tails, Amy, and Knuckles, but I could do without the others.

Eh, I guess I like Tails, Amy, and Knuckles, but I could do without the others.
yeah I was talking about the main 2 (I guess to a little degree Amy) but including all those others from SA2, Heroes, Chaotix, etc... is overkill

Yeah, it'd be a shame if they ignored the fact that Tails and Knuckles are longtime favorites just cuz something thought Big the Cat or Rouge the Bat was cool.

Shadow was pretty cool in Sonic Adventure 2, but he has since been ruined by Segas crappyness.

I love Tails. :csad:

Sonic and the Secret Rings was the best thing to happen to Sonic in recent years... my hope is they expound on that. There's probably even a way to take it off rails, but I'd also like to see them build on that. Maybe put it on rails ONLY when he's at high speeds.

Ive heard alot of good things about Secret Rings but what was so good about it? I never played it, only the in store demos of the 360 version and it was bad. Is something like Secret Rings something that could be easily made for the 360 and PS3 or is the Wii's control scheme key to that game's success?

Secret Rings wasn't on the 360 or PS3, it was a Wii exclusive... and yes, it came down to the controls/gameplay.

Which means if you haven't played it, you don't know...I will admit, it was pretty fast and Sonic did some incredible things, but there are tons of games on the Wii which look weak but are a blast to play... and thus, the Wii is outselling everything right now because most people realize that video games is about PLAYING, not WATCHING.

Tirades aside, I don't know why they didn't take ideas from the Archie Comics series... it's really the BEST all ages book around BY FAR, and has some great characters, subplots and stories. Man...

Which means if you haven't played it, you don't know...I will admit, it was pretty fast and Sonic did some incredible things, but there are tons of games on the Wii which look weak but are a blast to play... and thus, the Wii is outselling everything right now because most people realize that video games is about PLAYING, not WATCHING.

Tirades aside, I don't know why they didn't take ideas from the Archie Comics series... it's really the BEST all ages book around BY FAR, and has some great characters, subplots and stories. Man...

Well, I'd hafta disagree. Anyone on these boards ever read the UK Sonic comic? I used to get the Archie one sent to me, and it was nothing in comparisement to Fleetway's artwork and storylines. Just a damn shame near the end all they were doing was reprints.

Secret Rings wasn't on the 360 or PS3, it was a Wii exclusive... and yes, it came down to the controls/gameplay.
sorry I meant Sonic the Hedgehog when referring to the 360 demo

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"