• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Senate Kills Minimum Wage Bill

But aren't minimum-wage jobs supposed to be entry-level positions? And that by hard work you then move up and get a better paying job?

If you're going to spend 20 years in an entry-level position that pays minimum wage, all I can do is laugh.

The point is "bust your ass to get a better paying job"

What is stupid is sticking with a minimum wage job for 40 years. It's a damned entry level job, not a career.

Hard work is stupid for those who lack a work ethic

What's stupid is not being able to buy a cup of coffee with an hours pay. Millions of people struggle living on minimum wage.

Hard work is stupid for those who lack a work ethic

If minimum wage jobs weren't hard work you would have a point.

I'm from England, exactly how much is the minimum wage in America?

If a person spends 40 years in a fast food joint flipping burgers for $5.15 an hour, that person is a ****ing idiot.

Addendum said:
If a person spends 40 years in a fast food joint flipping burgers for $5.15 an hour, that person is a ****ing idiot.

That's not the only kind of minimum wage job.

Addendum said:
But aren't minimum-wage jobs supposed to be entry-level positions? And that by hard work you then move up and get a better paying job?

If you're going to spend 20 years in an entry-level position that pays minimum wage, all I can do is laugh.

Even still, if the beginning eployees are making min., then management isn't going to be making top dollar either. Here's a good example. My friend works at Borders Express and gets $7/hour which is 25 cents more than min. in CA. His assistant manager manager only makes $10/hour. Even if you do move up the corporate ladder, you'd need to be at least a regional manager to make a comfortable (not luxurious) living in CA...orange county especially.

kainedamo said:
That's not the only kind of minimum wage job.
Minimum wage jobs are entry-level jobs. Flipping burgers in a fast food joint is entry level.

captain_jimbo said:
I'm from England, exactly how much is the minimum wage in America?

It varies from state to state. In some states it's over $7 an hour and in others it is over $5 an hour

Addendum said:
Minimum wage jobs are entry-level jobs. Flipping burgers in a fast food joint is entry level.

Ok, this is the thing. Don't you think minimum wage means that that wage should be able to get that person the basics of what you need to live?

The basics - paying rent for a flat, paying electric bills, owning a tv, getting food, clothes, pay for health care, etc.

If you're working 40 hours a week, and you can't even buy 40 cups of coffee with that wage... I mean seriously, that's a ****ing disgrace. It's not a system you should be defending. You should be admitting that it's wrong and something needs to change.

I'm not saying that a person should live in a mansion. I'm just saying they should be able to live comfortably if they work the hours. I'm not suggesting that people stay in minimum wage jobs their entire life. But plenty of people do because they can't get better for a variety of reasons.

kainedamo said:
No. That's stupid. Stupid argument.

Not really. A lot of people in minimum wage jobs are in minimum wage jobs because they put themselves in the position they are in. Minimum wage jobs are not meant to be careers. And this is comming from a person working at the minimum wage level and knows people who have put themselves in that position.

kainedamo said:
Ok, this is the thing. Don't you think minimum wage means that that wage should be able to get that person the basics of what you need to live?

The basics - paying rent for a flat, paying electric bills, owning a tv, getting food, clothes, pay for health care, etc.

If you're working 40 hours a week, and you can't even buy 40 cups of coffee with that wage... I mean seriously, that's a ****ing disgrace. It's not a system you should be defending. You should be admitting that it's wrong and something needs to change.

I'm not saying that a person should live in a mansion. I'm just saying they should be able to live comfortably if they work the hours. I'm not suggesting that people stay in minimum wage jobs their entire life. But plenty of people do because they can't get better for a variety of reasons.
Coffee is an optional thing. Manage your income. Never get stagnant. Always look for something better.

kainedamo said:

A lot of people on minimum wage often receive Medicaid, welfare, food stamps, etc to get what they need in order to survive.

A person working minimum wage shouldn't go out and buy f**king overpriced Starbucks :o

A lot of those reasons are that they put themselves in the position they are in. Raising the minimum wage will do nothing for them because those that own the markets will raise their prices as a result.

It's not really "putting yourself in a position", 90% of the time it's not really a choice.

Like if you're a student. You don't have the qualifications just yet to get a really good job, so you work a minimum wage job. You have all sorts of crap you need to pay for when you're a student.

Even with qualifications, it can be hard to find those good jobs. In the meantime, you need to support yourself with SOMETHING.

hippie_hunter said:
A person working minimum wage shouldn't go out and buy f**king overpriced Starbucks :o

Word. Dunkin Donuts gives you like a ****ing gallon of coffee for $3.

kainedamo said:
It's not really "putting yourself in a position", 90% of the time it's not really a choice.

Like if you're a student. You don't have the qualifications just yet to get a really good job, so you work a minimum wage job. You have all sorts of crap you need to pay for when you're a student.

Even with qualifications, it can be hard to find those good jobs. In the meantime, you need to support yourself with SOMETHING.

Me and Addendum aren't talking about people like college students who will end up getting better jobs later on. We are talking about the people who live on minimum wage jobs.

I know tons of people who put themselves into the minimum wage level positions they are in because they have wasted their lives and money on things such as booze, drugs, gambling, making stupid decisions, poor financial planning, being plain lazy, etc.

hippie_hunter said:
It varies from state to state. In some states it's over $7 an hour and in others it is over $5 an hour

See, this is what Tarrantino was trying to say about America in "Resevoir Dogs". The reason you have to tip people for doing their job, is because they're paid next to nothing by their employer for doing it. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"