SFX: Zach Snyder talks Superman movie

mad-sci

Civilian
Reaction score
An excerpt from SFX magazine

Sure Zack Snyder can bring epic comic book tales to the screen – he proved that with Watchmen and 300 – but given the level of sex and violence in the director’s output, he may not seem like the perfect choice for a character as old-fashioned and wholesome as Superman. Snyder tells SFX, the real reason he’s agreed to direct the next Superman movie – currently titled Superman: The Man of Steel – is the film’s take on the character, as conceived by the Batman creative team of David Goyer and Christopher Nolan.

Though he’s reluctant to give any details about the film, Snyder explains what attracted him to the project: “My feeling about Superman is that I’ve been a fan of the character for a long time. But the question for me was always, ‘What can you do with Superman in a modern world?’ And I think the amazing thing that Chris and David have created, that I’m working on now, and the reason why I was like, ‘Yeah, I’ll do that,’ was that they found that in him. They found the why in him. That’s the exciting part for me.”

And just how will Snyder’s Superman differ from previous incarnations of the character? The filmmaker’s tight-lipped but hints at what we can expect from someone whose visions are, more often than not, visceral.

“I can’t really talk about that without being kind of specific,” says Snyder. “But I can say I think Superman needs to be physical.”

Hell yeah. Physical I like... physical is gooooooooood. Lmao.

Does this mean we'll get to see Superman punching things for once? :woot:

I like that very much. He didn't say "You'll see alot of action". No. He said, "...Superman NEEDS to be physical." That's my kind of Superman.

Supes is gonna kick some candy a**, I like it :D

Supes is gonna kick some candy a**, I like it :D

So all it really takes to modernize Superman is have him be "physical" aka kick some a**? That wasn't so hard now was it? :woot:

Last edited:
so supes gonna be punching ursa tough guy right there lol
Insp-DonkeySuperManWonderWoman.jpg

They should call the movie Superman Punches Things, just the emphasize the new direction the project is taking.

i dont see whats not to get about superman in a modern world? what could it possibly be that nolan conjured that caused this revelation with snyder that isnt already made obvious in the decades of comics? it makes me think that they had to do something "different" with superman to make him work in their image. and that worries me. but i wait optimistically for more info....

i dont see whats not to get about superman in a modern world? what could it possibly be that nolan conjured that caused this revelation with snyder that isnt already made obvious in the decades of comics? it makes me think that they had to do something "different" with superman to make him work in their image. and that worries me. but i wait optimistically for more info....
he is just saying this for promotion and to hype up fans.

i bet my life that when the movie will be out it will have everything combined from teh comics.

Completely agreed. Getting more and more debious every day.

I mean, just because Nolan got Batman right, doesn't mean that this idea he and Goyer came up with is going to work... It's starting to feel like no one in Hollywood understands Superman!

^jumping the gun a bit dont you think

when it comes to comics i think we can trust zack

Nice to get some news even though it's nothing we don't already know.

Completely agreed. Getting more and more debious every day.

I mean, just because Nolan got Batman right, doesn't mean that this idea he and Goyer came up with is going to work... It's starting to feel like no one in Hollywood understands Superman!

Starting? Dude, it's been like that for 10s of years now... But maybe just maybe... It'll be OUR turn.

^jumping the gun a bit dont you think

when it comes to comics i think we can trust zack

Why? He's not handled any mainsteam Superheroes yet... everything he's done has been on the darker, 'alternative' side of comic stories, if you know what I mean.

And personally, I don't want to see a dark, 'alternative' style Superman.

I'm not jumping the gun, I haven't given up on him or the movie. I am just expressing SOME worries that I am beginning to have, due to the rumoured plots and the rumoured lack of Lois.

Starting? Dude, it's been like that for 10s of years now... But maybe just maybe... It'll be OUR turn.

I just meant, if Nolan, Goyer and Snyder fail to get it (not that i'm saying they definitely have yet), then maybe NO ONE in Hollywood can.

Insp-DonkeySuperManWonderWoman.jpg

Huh. I always thought Supes grew up in the Midwest, but it turns out, he's from the South.

Why? He's not handled any mainsteam Superheroes yet... everything he's done has been on the darker, 'alternative' side of comic stories, if you know what I mean.

And personally, I don't want to see a dark, 'alternative' style Superman.

I'm not jumping the gun, I haven't given up on him or the movie. I am just expressing SOME worries that I am beginning to have, due to the rumoured plots and the rumoured lack of Lois.

I just meant, if Nolan, Goyer and Snyder fail to get it (not that i'm saying they definitely have yet), then maybe NO ONE in Hollywood can.

Would def be a huge disappointment for bc this is the team I wanted for Supes for 5-6 years... but then maybe an actual Superman comic book writer (Of the more famed ones) will be aloud to write a story and have a Reality fan interactive made for the internet competition with the winner of that be the Director of it. :woot: Hell, we all think we'd be better than anyone else anyway. lol

Not to speak for Snyder, but when he says "modern world" I feel like he's referring to our real world. The world Superman inhabits in most comics and certainly the last film is very idealized. It accommodates Superman far to easily and allows him deal with problems that he can cleanly solve. I think Snyder is going to introduce Superman into a world that mirrors our own in a much closer way. Kind of like Doc Manhattan in New York, but less angrier and a bit less cynical.

Last edited:
See, I think I'm in a similar place as you... to say they figured it out, they cracked it, they figured out how to make him work... I get nervous. I'm nervous that maybe they didn't "get" him to begin with, and in trying to figure out how to do this movie, they changed him to suit... I dunno, I'm just nervous about how well they're going to pull this off.

Aren't we all...

he is just saying this for promotion and to hype up fans.

i bet my life that when the movie will be out it will have everything combined from teh comics.

Agreed and I can see this "real world" stuff being used all the time.

They did the same thing with Smallville and look at the show now. Mining the fictional world of the DCU to keep things interesting.

All this movie needs...

Is Facebook. Scenes about Facebook. That will make it the greatest movie ever, I tell you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"