A new film vs. a new TV series

Smallville's effects are nothing great though, and they've been on the decline in quality during recent years, with the declining budget. I really noticed the difference during that shot of the fortress collapsing in "Arctic." It looked like a cartoon.

Totally disagree, while I will agree that there are numerous times certain effects have looked quite poor, a large portion of the effects look, if anything, better than they did in earlier seasons. Particularly his powers.

Not to mention 95% of the show focuses on relationships, characters, romance and drama... instead of actual action.

I don't see how this intails to the point I made unless you are suggesting that this^ (the show focusing more on characters instead of 'action') is down to the budget Smallville has in comparison with what Heroes perhaps had, I'd agree.

I do agree it depends on the network, but the time has really come for Superman to graduate to the big screen and make an impact like Nolan's Batman did.

Most definatly, Batman has kept Superman's cinematic "King of the Superheroes" throne warm for long enough. It's time that he reclaimed.

I think we've waited long enough for a GOOD Superman film. They should focus on film rather than TV for Superman.

It was in regards to the budget issue.

The SV producers have said many times Smallville focuses mainly on relationships, character issues and drama because there isn't a budget to do an Action series on the CW.

Maybe for other heroes on other networks, it could work. Action shows like DC's "Human Target" and Fox's "24" are great.

Superman, however, can't get the popularity the character needs on a 'no flights, no tights' CW drama. Superman belongs in the movies.

They never managed to do the character right on television without making major compromises.

George Reeves' show was a campy kids show.

Dean Cain's was a campy romantic comedy.

Smallville was a 'no flight, no tights (no Superman)' CW drama.

And Superboy..... Yeah, no need to mention that one.

Smallville's effects are nothing great though, and they've been on the decline in quality during recent years, with the declining budget. I really noticed the difference during that shot of the fortress collapsing in "Arctic." It looked like a cartoon.

Not to mention 95% of the show focuses on relationships, characters, romance and drama... instead of actual action.

I do agree it depends on the network, but the time has really come for Superman to graduate to the big screen and make an impact like Nolan's Batman did.

Superman is too big for the small screen, and L+C and Smallville left much to be desired in the Superman dept.

Thats bad writing, buddy. Everything is better when you focus on the characters, but those shows just had bad writing.

Also, since Robin rightfully won't be in the Nolan Bat films, you could easily do a Nightwing series that kicks off with Dick Grayson moving to Bludhaven. Just cover everything in an opening sequence voiceover and move on.

However, the Graysons idea sounds horrible, right up the CW alley. Idiots!

Last edited:
Considering Superman has been on our TV screens for more than 20 years nonstop. I think it could do with a break now after Smallville ends.

We had Superboy from 1988 to 1992.

then Lois and Clark from 1993 to 1997.

and Smallville from 2001 to 2011.

We've basically had Superman for the last 20 years on our tv screens in some fashion.

Let the new movie have its moment now.

Superboy, Lois and Clark, Smallville.... urgh :facepalm:

Yeah, Superman needs to stay in the movies for live action, badly.

They just need to stop trying to put "twists" on Superman to pull in the housewives and teen girls crowd. There still is the question of budget though. Honestly, I think Batman would fit perfectly for tv. Shows like Angel prove that tv can do the costumes/makeup and fight scenes a Batman series would need.

I'm really impressed with the action on DC's Human Target, it's a great action series.

I'd like to see another non-features DC property adapted similarly.

New film with no relation to Smallville please.

Although I would be interested in a Green Arrow spin-off, I would still prefer to see a Blue Beetle series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"