Sequels Shailene Woodley COULD BE Mary Jane Watson.....in TASM3 - Part 4

Yeah, I didn't like her, but I'm not sure what's so skanky about her. Maybe a little wishy-washy when it comes to relationships. But it's not like she was ****ing around.

She kind of was, in 3. Not as harshly put, but... she spends the 1st two movies promising she's up for being Spidey's gf, and the second things get difficult she goes back to Harry, who she'd already dated, who she had dumped in favor of Peter and who is also her current bf's buddy. When I think about the overarching story of the Raimi movies, I have to admit, I apply selective memory and choose not to count the events in SM3.

That's understandable. Although, at this point, I will say I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone to replace her. Woodley, from her look to her skills, had everything I would've wanted to see portrayed as Mary Jane.

Right on. I was really surprised when some people started saying they didn't like her, I was like "What's not to like?"

She kind of was, in 3. Not as harshly put, but... she spends the 1st two movies promising she's up for being Spidey's gf, and the second things get difficult she goes back to Harry, who she'd already dated, who she had dumped in favor of Peter and who is also her current bf's buddy. When I think about the overarching story of the Raimi movies, I have to admit, I apply selective memory and choose not to count the events in SM3.

That's not being a skank, though. She wasn't running around banging every guy she could and being a total sleazeball about it (and I won't even get into the double-standard where this behavior is okay for guys but not girls). She just didn't know who she really wanted to be with.

Was Raimi's MJ jealous? Yes. Selfish? Sure. The constant damsel in distress? Yup. A bit passive aggressive? Okay. Somewhat depressive? Maybe. Lacked any chemistry with Peter after the first film? I think so. Nothing like her comic book counterpart apart from being a model/actress? Absolutely. But a skank? That's just silly.

Last edited:
Was Raimi's MJ jealous? Yes. Selfish? Sure. The constant damsel in distress? Yup. A bit passive aggressive? Okay. Somewhat depressive? Maybe. Lacked any chemistry with Peter after the first film? I think so. Nothing like her comic book counterpart apart from being a model/actress? Absolutely. But a skank? That's just silly.

This.:up:

Anyone who would use the word 'skank' to describe RaimiMJ doesn't know what the word actually means.

Skank? Indeed.

I remember Snuffy, Flash, Al, Leo DiCaprio, Uncle Ben, Harry, Little Mo with the gimpy leg, Cheeks, John, Boney Bob, Peter, Cliff, me!

I could go on forever, Baby!

Anyone who would use the word 'skank' to describe RaimiMJ doesn't know what the word actually means.

I think some probably thought, while she might not be a skank in our world, in comparison to Peter in that world, she seemed a skank. Not a dirty, prostituting skank, just a 'loose' girl. A girl who has been around the block a few times. Unlike Peter, who had never been with a woman until he got with Mary Jane. (As far as we know.)

I wasn't at all a fan of MJ's watered-down wallflower type personality, generally unhappy disposition, and the way that she handled her relationships in the Raimi trilogy, but labeling her a skank (implying that there is something dirty or negative) just because she was shown dating guys other than Peter Parker is ridiculous and (as someone else posted) a bit of a double standard. Ironically, Raimi's 'skank' MJ is often compared unfavorably to her comic book counterpart for being too passive, serious, and 'Gwenified' (the girl next door) in comparison to Stan's wild, free spirited, and flirtatious 'bombshell' during the college years of 616.

Granted, 616 MJ is also occasionally labeled a 'skank' by fans of the more virginal and wholesome Gwen Stacy (who, I suppose, have selective memory when it comes to Sins Past).

I remember Snuffy, Flash, Al, Leo DiCaprio, Uncle Ben, Harry, Little Mo with the gimpy leg, Cheeks, John, Boney Bob, Peter, Cliff, me!

I could go on forever, Baby!

Not gonna lie, that made me laugh a bit. Ah...memories.

[YT]V7fqaNNXQMk[/YT]

The clinical definition of the word 'skank' is this: "a sleazy or unpleasant person". How, exactly, is RaimiMJ a "sleazy or unpleasant person"?

I wasn't at all a fan of MJ's watered-down wallflower type personality, generally unhappy disposition, and the way that she handled her relationships in the Raimi trilogy, but labeling her a skank (implying that there is something dirty or negative) just because she was shown dating guys other than Peter Parker is ridiculous and (as someone else posted) a bit of a double standard. Ironically, Raimi's 'skank' MJ is often compared unfavorably to her comic book counterpart for being too passive, serious, and 'Gwenified' (the girl next door) in comparison to Stan's wild, free spirited, and flirtatious 'bombshell' during the college years of 616.

Yeah but comic book MJ was pretty open about the fact she liked to get around a bit. Again, I don't think she would like to get around amymore than any other red-blooded lively young woman, but if you make Peter virginal and one-woman-only and she's been with 4/5 guys, it kinda makes her come off worse. I mean Raimi MJ had been with Flash Thompson, Harry Osborn, John Jameson and Peter Parker. Peter Parker had been with one woman, Mary Jane W. There's a difference there is all I was saying.

MJ was young and was having a hard time making up her mind about who was best for her. As far as we know, she never 'slept' with anyone in the three films, but everyone assumes so.

MJ was young and was having a hard time making up her mind about who was best for her. As far as we know, she never 'slept' with anyone in the three films, but everyone assumes so.

She was at the altar with John Jameson so it seems fairly likely. The movie wasn't set in the 1700's.

Dunst MJ was so bland. Annoying. That's that.

Btw, Rodrigo90, isn't your #5 in your sig considered debunked?

I wouldn't know of it.

Could you fill me in, please? :p

Edit: Never mind lol

That's not being a skank, though. She wasn't running around banging every guy she could and being a total sleazeball about it (and I won't even get into the double-standard where this behavior is okay for guys but not girls). She just didn't know who she really wanted to be with.

Well, whatever she was, it was not good. I only hate her in Spidey 3, though, I definitely don't share the dislike so many feel for her in the first two. I thought she was cute and moving and that final love statement in SM2 was just hugely poignant all around. Dunst's MJ gets a big pass from me overall.

Well let's look at the facts.

She's not a ****e or a **** by any means. She's not going to bars for quick shags or one night stands.
But that's because we've seen her in relationships or in love. We don't know what Dunst's MJ was truly capable of in the circumstances of being single or not being in love with Spider-Man/Peter.

The thing is, she comes from an extremely unhappy childhood. So she was a girl who probably dreamt of having a knight in shining armour come to rescue her.

The only way how, was for MJ to find the man of her dreams, who filled the unhappiness in her heart, and took her away from misery that she was in.

She thought it was Flash. The high school jock. For reasons unknown, she broke up with him and returned his engagement ring (?). But from what we see, she was unhappy with him at the beginning and didn't want to spend her life tied unhappily down with him.

Then there was Harry...and I don't think they slept together. From the way she turns her face away when he tries to kiss her. I think she was uncomfortable with the whole new lifestyle she was put into with him. So the money played no part in her attraction to him.
She soon fell out of love, if she was ever of a fraction in love with Harry, and fell in love with Spider-Man.
The guy she probably dreamt about since being a kid, three occasions, at that point, her knight.
But was interesting...she was in love with Peter during the Goblin kidnap. Truly in love with him. Loving him like she never thought she could with anybody else. He was her one true love.
And he walked away from her, leaving her alone and heartbroken.

Along came John Jameson, (a nice mix of Harry and Flash if one notices).
He was popular and a celeb in ways. But most importantly, he filled the gap that Peter abandoned in MJ's heart. She loved John enough to marry him, but she never for one moment stopped loving Peter. And it frustrated her that she knew he felt the same, but there's a hint that she knew or had a feeling he was Spider-Man and he was uncomfortable telling her. So she let it be. But she loved him for being him, not Spider-Man.
So John was there for her and Peter wasn't.
She agreed to marry him. Then left him at the altar.
Not the nicest of things, but better then than sometime during the marriage. But she thought she loved him. She thought she could go through with it. She thought she could never be with Peter...but instead, she became the hero for sad and lonely Peter. The two of them loved each other, they both knew it, so why should 3 people be miserable in the whole thing?

Then along comes SM3. MJ is more in love with Peter than ever. But he has his head up his own ass with fame and revenge. He starts neglecting her and yes, she may feel a little jealous that he's getting the attention that should be on her. But he really and unknowingly, hurts her a lot of times in this movie. She kisses Harry who she has been having a good laugh with, something she lacks with Peter, in a moment of loneliness and madness, that she instantly regrets.
Peter continuously pushes her away and when she says that to him in the restaurant, it's the truth.

Bottom line, I wouldn't judge her too harshly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"