Sequels Shailene Woodley In Talks For Mary Jane Watson

Marvel Spider

An Insomniac.
Reaction score
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118060562

It looks like Mary Jane Watson is back in Peter Parker's life, as "The Descendants" star Shailene Woodley is in early talks to play the redheaded love interest in Sony's "The Amazing Spider-Man 2."
Woodley is the studio's leading choice to join stars Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone in the Marc Webb-directed sequel, which is preparing to start casting. Character breakdowns have gone out to talent agencies and Electro is rumored to be one of the villains the filmmakers are considering for the next installment of the hit comicbook franchise.

In addition to Mary Jane Watson and an unspecified villain, the studio is seeking an actor to play Harry Osborn, Peter Parker's best friend and eventual enemy, who was played by James Franco in Sam Raimi's original trilogy that starred Kirsten Dunst as M.J.

With production not starting until early next year, the studio still has plenty of time to decide which Marvel villain will battle Spider-Man. One of the options, Electro, is the namesake of Max Dillon, an enemy of Spider-Man who gains the ability to control electricity after being struck by lightning. Created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, the character first appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man #9 in February 1964.

In "The Amazing Spider-Man's" post-credit sequence, set inside Dr. Curt Connors' cell at an asylum, the Lizard is approached by a mysterious, shadowy figure (Michael Massee) who asks if Peter Parker knows the truth about his father. Lightning features prominently in the scene.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing the sequel, whose screenplay will be credited to frequent tentpole scribes Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, as well as Jeff Pinkner, based on a previous draft by James Vanderbilt.

"The Amazing Spider-Man" grossed $751 million worldwide and the sequel is skedded to swing into theaters in 3D on May 2, 2014.

Woodley was nominated for a Golden Globe and won an Independent Spirit Award for her perf as George Clooney's eldest daughter in Alexander Payne's "The Descendants." She was flooded by movie offers in the wake of the film's success, but remained focused on her ABC Family series "The Secret Life of the American Teenager," which will end its run after its upcoming fifth season. Thesp is attached to star in Gregg Araki's indie drama "White Bird" and recently wrapped James Ponsoldt's "The Spectacular Now" with Miles Teller.

She's repped by Paradigm, the Savage Agency, Principato-Young Entertainment and Felker Toczek Gellman Suddleson.

Shailene_Woodley+Aug_09_2009.jpg

Last edited:
good actress. Not really who I pegged as MJ, but we'll see

If they are going with Electro as villain It appears they will Introduce mary Jane and harry
in part 2 and do green goblin and death of gwen In part 3.

If Michael Massee was playing Maxwell Dillon in that after-credits scene, holy crap.

Nope, don't like it. I think Woodley is a good actress and pretty, but "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot" pretty? No, sorry.

If Michael Massee was playing Maxwell Dillon in that after-credits scene, holy crap.
Yeah, that'd be ideal.

Not too sure how I feel about this chick - not seen her in anything, but she looks really young.

Also, while I'm cool with Electro being the villian for ASM2, I'm not took keen on the possibility of holding off on killing Gwen till the third film. Perhaps GG makes a surprise appearance during the final battle (GG and Electro vs Spidey would be pretty bad ass), resulting in her death. That would be a huge cliffhanger and help drum up anticipation for the third film.

I'd be fine with her, better than Kirsten Dunst imo.

Nope, don't like it. I think Woodley is a good actress and pretty, but "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot" pretty? No, sorry.

Not being familiar with her, I looked up some pictures. It seems she's mostly trying to look like the "girl next door"/understated beauty, but there are some pictures where she looks older and more dolled up (as I think we all imagine MJ to be).

shailene-woodley-malibu-mag.jpg

0226-shailene_woodley_bd.jpg

shailene-woodley-jan-InStyle-01-400x470.jpg

I dunno...If she came to my door and said that I hit the jackpot, I think I would be very much okay with it.

I haven't seen her in anything but she's cute. I also like Electro as a baddie. Maybe we'll finally get a true villian as opposed to another "good guy who's forced to do bad things".

I think if she will be playing MJ I am okay with the right make up and costume I think they can pull it off. But Personally I think she's too young.

She looks damn fine. Really beautiful.
I'm totally ok with her.

She looks a bit too "pretty" for me. Id have picked someone with more of an edgy look to her

I think if she will be playing MJ I am okay with the right make up and costume I think they can pull it off. But Personally I think she's too young.
Well, considering the fact they're supposed to be high schoolers, she really isn't. Garfield is too old!

Sigh... Mary Elizabeth Winstead was my pick. This girl is cute, but MJ needs to be model hot.

tumblr_m79mznFHPi1qma0j0o1_500.jpg

I'd be pretty disappointed if Woodley got the role, and by the looks of it she probably will.

I haven't seen Woodley act , but looks wise she's fine for MJ. I suspect they want her more for her acting chops than for the look , in much the same way they casted Garfield and Stone.

Boring choice if it's true. She looks like all my friends in high school.

I loved Emma's Gwen so much that I'll probably be rooting for MJ to die. :oldrazz:

She's a safe studio choice. I don't think she's the knock-out MJ needs to be but after The Descendents I can see why they'd go for her.

Wouldn't mind this...this girl could be drop dead gorgeous for a high school student! The hell some of you guys saying?!

And she apparently had a great performance in Descendants. She's a good actress, this would be a good deal!

She looks a lot like that girl from that horrible show The Secret Life of the American Teenager on ABC Family.

She apparently IS that girl from The Secret Life, but I've never seen a second of that show. I have seen her in The Descendants, and she was great in that movie - plenty of attitude and vulnerability. Just from that performance, I can easily see why they'd go for her for MJ. As I said in another thread, I don't think she has the ideal look for MJ, but I don't think it's a bad choice at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"