Sequels Shailene Woodley In Talks For Mary Jane Watson

Also, while I'm cool with Electro being the villian for ASM2, I'm not took keen on the possibility of holding off on killing Gwen till the third film. Perhaps GG makes a surprise appearance during the final battle (GG and Electro vs Spidey would be pretty bad ass), resulting in her death. That would be a huge cliffhanger and help drum up anticipation for the third film.

I disagree. Building up to her death over 3 films would be much more impactful. The casting of Harry makes me think of the casting of Norman. I want Norman's fingerprints all over Peter's life by the time we get GG. That means appearing in ASM2 as just Norman, then in TASM3 as Norman/GG.

Last edited:
I love how they are mentioning Harry, now all we need is a announcement that Anton got the part lol

How do we know that Electro is the only villain in this? There's still hope that GG could be another villain and Gwen dies in TASM2.

Keep saying this...this will be a trilogy.

I very firmly believe that it's difficult and near impossible to kill Gwen in the third/final movie. We need an entire film to establish the aftermath and new light for Peter with MJ...not 2 acts...or an act.

Plus, you don't want to have an impactful scene like that in the beginning of the final entry! Second films in trilogies are the dark ones. It's the perfect time to kill Gwen, at the climax of ASM2. Obviously introduce MJ in the beginning so she is an established character when **** goes down.

Can't happen any other way now...considering how the narrative plot is already mixed with viewers as of now with ASM. ASM2 needs to blow minds plot wise, and the Gwen death is the card to play/lead up to.

It'll be expected by fans...but if it's done right and in a newly inventive way, that won't matter. It's all in the execution!

I'll say it time and time again until May 2014.

I very firmly believe that it's difficult and near impossible to kill Gwen in the third/final movie. We need an entire film to establish the aftermath and new light for Peter with MJ...not 2 acts...or an act.

Plus, you don't want to have an impactful scene like that in the beginning of the final entry! Second films in trilogies are the dark ones. It's the perfect time to kill Gwen, at the climax of ASM2. Obviously introduce MJ in the beginning so she is an established character when **** goes down.

Can't happen any other way now...considering how the narrative plot is already mixed with viewers as of now with ASM. ASM2 needs to blow minds plot wise, and the Gwen death is the card to play/lead up to.

It'll be expected by fans...but if it's done right and in a newly inventive way, that won't matter. It's all in the execution!

And I'll agree with you time and time again.

So far Webb and Co have made some very good choices for the cast in ASM and I have no choice other than to have faith in their decision for the role of MJ. Woodley very well may be the girl that undergoes a bit of a makeover, hair-dyed, etc. and then surprises us all by nailing it. Time will tell.

If Gwen is to die in the 2nd film, I truly hope they have GG involved and don't make a change to this part of the story and have Electro be the guilty party. That would be...just bad. I agree with the posters that have stated it would be more impactful to have Gwen be offed in the next movie.

But to have GG kill Gwen I would want Osborn himself to develop as a character first.

hopefully it won't be a trilogy. it'd be cool to stretch it out to at least 5 films with these actors.

Two things:
1) I have yet to see a decent explanation as to why it is impossible to effectively and impactfully deal with Gwen's death and its aftermath in a single film.

2) I really don't understand why people are so enamored with and fixated on this idea that Mary Jane has to be this drop-dead gorgeous girl. Quite frankly, I think her original comic introduction was very poorly handled, and will even go so far as to call her iconic introductory line atrocious and a major disservice to the character.

As for the actress who seems to be on the studio's short list, I'm not familiar with her, but do think she's pretty enough to play the character of MJ.

If the word is true that Emma Stone's contract for the series was only two films and the fact that they are introducing MJ now, you're pretty much going to be correct on this.

Remember, when the film was released, the facebook page for the film announced that Amazing was the first of a trilogy. And as you said, the second films in trilogies are always darker.

Honestly, if you look at how things are set up, they set up this trilogy exactly like Nolan's trilogy. Spidey's greatest nemesis will show up in the second film like Batman's greatest nemesis showed up in the second film in that trilogy.

It just seems obvious now, with this report about MJ.

If the word is true that Emma Stone's contract for the series was only two films and the fact that they are introducing MJ now, you're pretty much going to be correct on this.

Remember, when the film was released, the facebook page for the film announced that Amazing was the first of a trilogy. And as you said, the second films in trilogies are always darker.

Honestly, if you look at how things are set up, they set up this trilogy exactly like Nolan's trilogy. Spidey's greatest nemesis will show up in the second film like Batman's greatest nemesis showed up in the second film in that trilogy.

It just seems obvious now, with this report about MJ.

But this would contradict the Electro rumor.

They are not, and I mean NOT going to have rebooted the franchise, gone back to high school in an attempt to recapture the innocence of Peter Parker and those younger years and make a point to introduce Gwen Stacey only to have her killed by someone other than the Green Goblin. Let me restate that: They. Will. Not.

Green Goblin will kill Gwen.

So that either means that they are not going to kill her in the second film (assuming Electro is the villain) or the Green Goblin/Norman Osborn is the villain in the second film.

It has to be one of these two scenarios. I am of the mind that Webb is going to make this whole trilogy about Gwen and Peter and that she won't die until the final film.

It was my hope that the second film would:
- Continue to build on the Osborn mythology.
- Deepen the connection with Peter's parents.
- Peter gets closer to Gwen.
- We would never meet Mary Jane, but we'd hear about her. Much like in the comics, Aunt May would suggest he go out with her (because Peter and Gwen were on and off).
- Have Norman become the Goblin at the end of the 2nd film and have him battle Spidey throughout the 3rd film.
- Gwen would die at the end of the 3rd film.
- Peter mourns, is lost.
- Aunt May attempts to lift his spirits, introducing him to her friend's niece.
- The last shot of the trilogy would be:

mary-jane-watson.jpg

Fade to black.

Credits.

End.

That would be a fitting end to the Gwen Stacy saga, and leave the opportunity for Webb or another director to come in and take these actors and move on with a Mary Jane centric trilogy, completing a Spider-man saga of sorts.

-R

Last edited:
But this would contradict the Electro rumor. They are not, and I mean NOT going to have rebooted the franchise, gone back to high school in an attempt to recapture the innocence of Peter Parker and those younger years and make a point to introduce Gwen Stacey only to have her killed by someone other than the Green Goblin. Let me restate that: They. Will. Not.

So that either means that they are not going to kill her in the second film, assuming Electro is the villain, or the Green Goblin/Norman Osborn is the villain in the second film.

It has to be one of these two. I am of the mind that Webb is going to make this whole trilogy about Gwen and Peter and that she won't die until the final film.

It was my hope that the second film would continue to build on the Osborn mythology. Deepening the connection with Peter's parents as Peter gets closer to Gwen. We would never meet Mary Jane, but we'd hear about her. Much like in the comics, Aunt May would suggest he go out with her (because Peter and Gwen were on and off). Have Norman become the Goblin at the end of the 2nd film and have him battle Spidey throughout the 3rd film. Gwen would die at the end of the 3rd film. The last shot of the trilogy would be:

mary-jane-watson.jpg

Fade to black.

Credits.

End.

That would be a fitting end to the Gwen Stacy saga, and leave the opportunity for Webb or another director to come in and take these actors and move on with a Mary Jane centric trilogy, completing a Spider-man saga of sorts.

-R

Who says Electro and Goblin can't be in the second film together?

Again, the rumor is is that Emma Stone's contract was only for two films. What does that point to?

Electro can be in the second film in some capacity. That doesn't negate the idea that Goblin is also in the film and has a direct hand in Stacy's fate.

We'll just have to wait and see. But, with this MJ news and the strong rumor that Stone's contract was for two films, it just seem obvious how this sequel will play out. (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58995)

Who says Electro and Goblin can't be in the second film together?

Again, the rumor is is that Emma Stone's contract was only for two films. What does that point to?

Electro can be in the second film in some capacity. That doesn't negate the idea that Goblin is also in the film and has a direct hand in Stacy's fate.

We'll just have to wait and see. But, with this MJ news and the strong rumor that Stone's contract was for two films, it just seem obvious how this sequel will play out. (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58995)

I don't think they're going to go multi villains. Arad and Tolmach have said several times that after Spider-man 3, they are going to focus only on single villains.

I also don't think that they would muddle their blue-chip story with an second villain. This is the holy grail of Spider-man stories. They aren't going to want to mess it up.

And if there is all of this talk that Emma has a two-film contract? If that's the case why is it up in the air if she is even signed for THIS second film? If she's under contract, she has no choice. So this whole, Emma contract thing is muddy at best.

I was under the impression she was under a 3-film contract, and Sony could choose how many films of that contract they want to exercise.

-R

I don't see how MJ being cast makes it obvious that Gwen will die in the sequel. Who cares if second films have been the darkest in the past, that's all the more reason to kill her in the third. It would be a big mistake, especially if you want to do Norman justice. As well as create a greater emotional payoff for Gwen's death and the cementing of Peter and MJ's relationship. The aftermath of that event could be twenty or so minutes of film that sets the table for the new relationship and ease the audience from the tragic state of mind into a bittersweet one. The new relationship with Peter and MJ then caries over into the fourth film, either with the same principals in place or a whole new cast picking up the pieces. It works.

I want to see the Betty/Veronica dynamic that was so great in the comics be portrayed in more then one film. Especially with a guy like Webb at the helm, it's right in his wheelhouse. Ditto for the Peter & Norman dynamic. It's different then it is with Batman and the Joker. One film is all you really need for that. The Osborn/Parker (GG/Spidey) relationship needs more then one film. So Norman in the sequel alone (with a main villain in the forefront), then Norman and the Green Goblin in the third. :up: If that two contract rumor for Stone is true then they really missed the boat. We'll know soon enough.

Last edited:
meh personally i just dont see it. and i know everyone is going to throw in emma stone or heath ledger and the usual wait till she plays the part crap.

i've never seen anything with her as an actress so i cant say if she's good or not but she just for me at least doesnt have the wow factor to be mary jane. same as dunst

agreed 150%. the blonde bimbo needs to fall:cmad:

So that either means that they are not going to kill her in the second film (assuming Electro is the villain) or the Green Goblin/Norman Osborn is the villain in the second film.

It has to be one of these two scenarios. I am of the mind that Webb is going to make this whole trilogy about Gwen and Peter and that she won't die until the final film.

- We would never meet Mary Jane, but we'd hear about her. Much like in the comics, Aunt May would suggest he go out with her (because Peter and Gwen were on and off).
- Have Norman become the Goblin at the end of the 2nd film and have him battle Spidey throughout the 3rd film.
- Peter mourns, is lost.

Fade to black.

Credits.

End.

-R
So, the girl Peter loves dies at the end of the movie, Peter feels lost, in anger, sadness and all of the worst feelings someone might feel in this kind of situation, and a girl appears and says he just hit the jackpot?

I don't see this as a good moment to "hit the jackpot". Actually, I think there couldn't be a worse time for MJ to come and say that. He'll be living the worst moment of his life. Far from the jackpot.

So, the girl Peter loves dies at the end of the movie, Peter feels lost, in anger, sadness and all of the worst feelings someone might feel in this kind of situation, and a girl appears and says he just hit the jackpot?

I don't see this as a good moment to "hit the jackpot". Actually, I think there couldn't be a worse time for MJ to come and say that. He'll be living the worst moment of his life. Far from the jackpot.

Exactly. Gwen should die at the end of third no doubt, but MJ has to be introduced in the second for the transitional payoff.

Last edited:
no mary jane in part 2, preferably. If she's in, they might as well make her the original personality of the alluring, but relatively shallow party girl.. in comparison, the first movies pretty much ignored the comics' backstory of the mysterious niece of Anna, who Pete didn't meet until he was already in college.. She was made the girl next door, literally (not so much a complaint as an observation. But if they're going to include MJ again, I'd rather not see a literal re-tread of the old movie-character arc of being an aspiring stage actress.. The new cartoon recasts MJ as an aspiring journalist, so they could go there; maybe MJ gets a Daily Bugle internship and that's the angle for Pete to hang out there..)

There are plenty of ways to have Peter lose Gwen in the final film and show that time goes on. It's easy to show Aunt May attempt to get Peter to rejoin the world.

Going on an innocent date....months after your girlfriend dies doesn't mean he doesn't love Gwen anymore.

-R

But this would contradict the Electro rumor.

They are not, and I mean NOT going to have rebooted the franchise, gone back to high school in an attempt to recapture the innocence of Peter Parker and those younger years and make a point to introduce Gwen Stacey only to have her killed by someone other than the Green Goblin. Let me restate that: They. Will. Not.

- Peter mourns, is lost.

mary-jane-watson.jpg

Fade to black.

Credits.

End.

-R

I'd burst with laughter at the amount of incongruity if this actually happened.

I'd burst with laughter at the amount of incongruity if this actually happened.

In a bullet-by-bullet form, yes, it can seem perfunctory if this were to happen. But it is also something that could be done very well if done in full.

I think you guys are thinking I'm saying: Gwen dies, Mary shows up at the door, credits.

Gwen can die in the first/second act of the third film.

This can happen if Norman/Goblin are given a proper set up in the second film.

If we have Norman as the puppet master in the second film and then a full fledged villain in the third and have him kill Gwen almost before midway through the third film. The battle versus the Goblin can span more time than just a matter of days/weeks. It can be a month-plus timeline. We can see her die, see Peter mourn, Goblin running the criminal underworld, all in the same film. We can see Peter confront his loss of Gwen while eventually taking down the Goblin.

I'm not saying he is going to be "over" the death of Gwen. I'm saying he can be at the point where, reluctantly, he'll accept a request from May to get out of the house....meeting Mary Jane, setting up the next trilogy.

It could be done effectively and epically.

-R

If MJ's in the sequel then I'll most definitely will support it and look forward to where it will lead.

In a bullet-by-bullet form, yes, it can seem perfunctory if this were to happen. But it is also something that could be done very well if done in full.

I think you guys are thinking I'm saying: Gwen dies, Mary shows up at the door, credits.

Gwen can die in the first/second act of the third film.

This can happen if Norman/Goblin are given a proper set up in the second film.

If we have Norman as the puppet master in the second film and then a full fledged villain in the third and have him kill Gwen almost before midway through the third film. The battle versus the Goblin can span more time than just a matter of days/weeks. It can be a month-plus timeline. We can see her die, see Peter mourn, Goblin running the criminal underworld, all in the same film. We can see Peter confront his loss of Gwen while eventually taking down the Goblin.

I'm not saying he is going to be "over" the death of Gwen. I'm saying he can be at the point where, reluctantly, he'll accept a request from May to get out of the house....meeting Mary Jane, setting up the next trilogy.

It could be done effectively and epically.

-R

Coming through LOUD and C L E A R.

Last edited:
So we're never going to get an MJ that oozes sex appeal huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"