Shang - Chi

How old is he supposed to be, like in his 20s?

Sucks Daniel Dae Kim is a little up there in age. This could've been a good vehicle for him. Always liked him.
Daniel-Dae-Kim-Hawaii-Five-0.jpg

And people thought more obscure characters wouldnt get films with the addition of the X-men into the stable

I assume Midnight Sun will be his villain. Fu Manchu may not go over as well.

Just as I was getting used to the likeliness of Shang-Chi being done as tv/streaming series, we get this Christmas gift of news(next thing we can hope is a Moon Knight film is announced;))! I've only read the old classic Englehart/Starlin and Moench/Gulacy-Zeck run, and I hope those stories are touched upon in the film.

And people thought more obscure characters wouldnt get films with the addition of the X-men into the stable

I was well and truly surprised that anyone ever actually thought that. They just had a Black Panther movie gross over a billion dollars. It's quite clear a lot of obscure characters have a lot of box office potential.

In fairness, and this might just be me, I think BP was much, much more of a known entity before his cinematic debut than Shang-Chi is right now.

however obscure the character, i understand why they're doing it ..but with this and eternals and all the sequels that they need to announce.. it looks like its gonna be a looong time before we get f4 and x-men films and that's just frustrating to me :/

That was always gonna be the case. Even Kevin Feige said if and when the merger went through it was not gonna be an immediate thing; people just thought he was lying for some reason.

well I think people assumed he was just "not counting his chickens", and that he had an unspoken plan to introduce them sooner than later if the plan went through, kinda like he did with Spidey
but I guess they're sticking to their guns

Can't say I've heard of this character. But in light of how well Wonder Woman and Black Panther did with audiences, you can bet that major studios are going to jump on that diversity train.

Plus, as far as martial arts goes within the MCU, you can only go up from Iron Fist.

I'm very optimistic for Shang Chi seeing this will have a proper if not a bit inflated film budget given all of the successes that it puts out. Wish Iron Fist was given treatment first. However, considering the blow back of Iron Fist being "whitewashed" and not doing something new with that property... Shang Chi can at least lay a solid foundation for that type of genre to blossom and come back to public's view.

I was well and truly surprised that anyone ever actually thought that. They just had a Black Panther movie gross over a billion dollars. It's quite clear a lot of obscure characters have a lot of box office potential.
I dont consider Black Panther to be obscure but I think Shang-Hi has more in common with the likes of Dr. Strange, Ant Man and Guardians. I think BP's success had in large part to do with the talent behind it

I think the worry came from the fact that a studio can only release so many films a year without oversaturating itself and people felt the X-men, not to mention the FF would occupy those spots, so Marvel wouldnt have to rely on giving obscure characters their own films

cool that we get an asian in mcu but did the 1st asian lead super hero film really have to be a martial artist like can we get anymore stereotypical not to mention his father's name is Fu Manchu lol doesn't feel very progressive

it be like if dc's blue beetle(Jamie Reyes) the 1st hispanic lead super hero film was some cholo from LA

cool that we get an asian in mcu but did the 1st asian lead super hero film really have to be a martial artist like can we get anymore stereotypical not to mention his father's name is Fu Manchu lol doesn't feel very progressive

it be like if dc's blue beetle(Jamie Reyes) the 1st hispanic lead super hero film was some cholo from LA
Lol. Hey, we haven't even heard what DC is planning with Blue Beetle... that could be the case, maybe. LOL.

But I don't know... I think given the material of the comic and that THIS IS a Marvel property--they'll have to stay somewhat accurate to the comic.

That said, I can understand this point of view if Marvel tried this with Amadeus Cho as the Totally Awesome Hulk. I'd be like... "REALLY?"

That was always gonna be the case. Even Kevin Feige said if and when the merger went through it was not gonna be an immediate thing; people just thought he was lying for some reason.
You're right, and i didn't think we would see anything before 2020/21. But this announcment makes me think it's even further away.
X-men and Batman are my favorite comic book properties, and I'm in a tough position where both comics and movies are in a messy state :p
I'm desperate and impatient and not afraid to admit it. :D

Does it matter? Would Shang-Chi be okay if Marvel/Sony did aa Silk film first? It is what it is. We dont know how they will adapt him, so they may tone down the more stereotypical aspects of that property

Even if they called him something like Zheng Zu or Devil Doctor?
Marvel have been calling him Zheng zu in the comics for years as they lost the rights to fu Manchu.

I always felt Shang chi had a great set up for a movie or tv show. He is a man raised to be a assassin/warrior for his father and realizes his father is actually a evil powerful crime lord Shang switches sides and joins mi6 attempt to topple his father's criminal empire. There is the family drama of Shang facing his father and other siblings who are also used a assassin foot soldiers by their father. You have the whole espionage angle with Shang chi working as a spy/intelligence operative against his father

Not sure if they will keep the mysticism with Zheng zu being a immortal ancient Chinese sorcerer. They could tie the character to the ancient one by making zu one of her ancient rivals I suppose.

Gemma Chan would of made a great leiko wu if she wasn't already playing Dr Minerva in captain marvel

Last edited:
Hey, I'm slightly familiar with this character! Not many people seem to be. I feel accomplished
Not sure if they will keep the mysticism with Zheng zu being a immortal ancient Chinese sorcerer.
I honestly have no idea who that is but yes, they should totally keep the mysticism. All of it.

Just make his dad the true Mandarin. /s

In the comics, Shang-Chi is the son of Fu Manchu, who raised and educated his progeny in his reclusive China compound, closed off to the outside world. The son trained in the martial arts and developed unsurpassed skills. He is eventually introduced to the outside world to do his father’s bidding, and then has to come to grips with the fact his revered father Fu Manchu might not be the humanitarian he has claimed to be and is closer to what others call him: The Devil’s Doctor.

I'm not Chinese, but Fu Manchu sounds like a caricature Chinese name. Don't think a villain with a name like that will fly well in China though (I mean, if Disney still wants the Chinese government to allow the movie to be released in China and all that).

I think if Iron Fist makes a cameo, it'll probably be a rebooted Danny Rand and not Finn Jones

There's more than one Iron Fist anyway

I consider Colleen the current Iron Fist anyway, but I think the chance of a TV character appearing (even cameo) in a movie is next to none.

I think an X-Men movie will only be announced after the FOX deal is finalized, and the release date will be about 2 years after that.

Just before the Fox deal was announced, Feige went on record to say that the MCU has the rights to something like 7,000 other characters and I was worried they'd fall to mass appeal pressure to just start throwing X-Men in there as soon as possible and all those obscure characters they already have access to would just be looked over. Glad to see that they don't seem to be headed down that route. I've never heard of this character but his premise as stated in the articles I've seen sounds really interesting; looking forward to seeing MCU Earth expand even further beyond the U.S. and Europe. Anybody know about this guy a bit more in-depth? Is he just Bruce Lee if Bruce Lee were actually a superhuman?

Also, I laughed out loud when I read his villain's name is Fu Manchu; that's gonna need to get tweaked. :funny:

So who are we looking at for Shang-Chi support cast?

So who are we looking at for Shang-Chi support cast?

His love interest is a girl named Leiko, who will likely be the female lead. I wonder if they might fold some of Marvel's other 70s martial arts characters into this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"