'Sharp Objects’ with Amy Adams [HBO]

Right after watching the pilot I bought the book and decided to wait until the show was done, cause the pilot blew me away. I'm so happy I waited because while I had doubts about Amma, the 'happy ending' happening a little bit too soon in the episode (there was like 10 mins left?), I still was hella shocked when we saw the flashbacks. The way they ended the show, i'm amazed. It's definitely one of my favorite show.

I'm sure rewatching it is going to be a treat. Noticing all the clues. People on tumblr already have started:
180827103352774073.png

18082710340067231.png

:wow:

If I could do it again, I would've preferred seeing the show first and then reading the book. Also I think, using harlequinade's comparisons, I would've liked having a horrific ending first and then the happier ending being my last memory of it.

I still get chills when I remember the first mid-credits scene. It could easily have come from a great horror flick with the quick brutal shots and Amma's psychotic look of glee.

Rollerblading like a vampire in the dead of night...

219646971_5794368678001_5794367699001-vs.jpg

I really enjoyed this series- mostly as a character study of Camille. I wasn't really there for the big twist, which I figured out early in the series (just not how they got there.) I mean, a lot of focus was given on Amma and her friends throughout the whole series.

I am still thinking about the ending. The last part felt a bit sped up to get to the reveal, while the pace beforehand was a lot slower and deliberate. I heard there is more focus on Camille in the book at the end too (that she is taken in by her editor boss). That would've been nice to see. In the show the focus was kind of taken off her (and everyone else) as it focused on Amma.

The detective guy seemed too nice throughout the show for him to be kind of mean at the end to Camille, but I guess it can be seen that he walks away at the end because of all that happened, not just seeing her scars.

So yeah, things felt a bit neatly wrapped up for Camille's arc, I would've liked to have seen a bit more. But it was a great series to watch.

Last edited:
Willi Berg said:
The detective guy seemed too nice throughout the show for him to be kind of mean at the end to Camille, but I guess it can be seen that he walks away at the end because of all that happened, not just seeing her scars.

Believe it or not, Richard was actually less of a *****e here compared to his book counterpart.

Believe it or not, Richard was actually less of a *****e here compared to his book counterpart.

I am not surprised. He seemed mostly like a good guy throughout the series, even when he gave the files to Camille after she slept with John (I understand that it is different in the book.) Plus the actor they cast seems quite likeable.

I just watched it. It was really, really great. I was rooting for Amma to get out of that house and away from Adora, so it was a shock to find out she was the killer.

Anyway... As fast and subtle as the show is, I think I got all the things related to Adora and Amma. However, there is one thing it wasn't too clear to me (or I misinterpreted), it was regarding Camille's father. There is one (very dark) scene at some point where Adora tells Camille she can't get close to people because of her father, and that she never loved her because of a cold nature she was born, something like that. What happened? Was Adora abused by Camille's father? Was Camille born from a rape? What is that cold nature she was born from?

Also, was Camille sexually abused by those guys when she was a teenager?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"