Shin Ultraman (by Anno Hideaki)

Hopefully Anno can bring the same energy and love with his next "Shin Kamen Rider" project.

Because the first images that has been released so far got mixed reaction and I personally hated his Kamen Rider design. It was really bad compared to his Ultraman and Godzilla.

Nevertheless, I am excited to see this movie first on Saturday May 14th :)

Just watched it yesterday...just one week after Doctor Strange 2.

It was good...
More and less it felt like Shin Godzilla with a lot talk explaining things and exposition, fast talk between characters with plenty of action also.

Compare it with Shin Godzilla...Shin Godzilla was a better movie in my opinion.

I believe I will need a 2nd viewing to really make sure of my thoughts of this movie.
For now though its 7/10.

Last edited:
I hope the upcoming Anno's project, Shin Kamen Rider will be better than this.

Given the nature of Kamen Rider...I really hope Anno will do less exposition and explaining things than this.

Seeing the trailer...it gives me hope Anno-shi will deliver good with Kamen Rider. The tone is pretty much feel "Showa" as the first Kamen Rider debut in 1971. Though I am still not a fan of the suit...but I love the overall atmosphere. And I am surprised Anno already introduced Ni-Go (No.2) Rider.

And i must say ..

Netflix 3D Ultraman anime series is way better modern reimagining of Ultraman than Shin Ultraman.

Just watched for the 2nd time...

After watching it again...I can comfortably said that I loved this movie and it was more better experience by watching it on the day where I didnt feel exhausted of work.

The first 3-5 minutes are purely joy ...which reminded me of the first Pacific Rim where the opening of the movie really drew us into this world of kaiju. That first kaiju scene was really good and finally....the first Ultraman scene also.

For a long time fan of Tokusatsu...I cannot imagine there is a single fan who wouldnt impressed by that scene.

Anno-shi also used the old BGM theme of Ultraman in this movie too.

Overall...for fans, this is a really good and satisfaction experience but for non fans...I think this will get more mixed reaction as many of non fans general audiences here prefer Shin Godzilla over this (critics also pointed out that Shin Godzilla was a better movie because it gave more serious theme and tone compared to this).

For me though, while I also still prefer Shin Godzilla and still prefer the 3D Anime series in reimagining modern take on Ultraman...
Shin Ultraman is a love letter from Anno-shi (and Higuchi director) for any long time Ultraman fans and also long time Tokusatsu fans.
And as a fan, I am really grateful for it.

Next...I cannot wait for his Shin Kamen Rider (After that...I really hope Anno-shi would make Shin Sentai to complete the circle..haha)

Last edited:
Don't love the Shin Kamen Rider design, but it's more of a throwback design.

Yeah...the design for Kamen Rider: The First (2005) which also had the reimagining version of the classic first Kamen Rider suit was better than the ones in Shin Kamen Rider.

Could've been worse.

Ultraman has always just looked cheesy to me and this doesn't change that. Godzilla and Gamera (though I haven't seen Gamera in a LONG time) are still my favorite "kaiju" movies from Japan.

Here, we are still wait for the bluray release date.

It is just uncommon to have this long wait for physical release, especially from a big hit release like Shin Ultraman (its been 6 months since Shin Ultraman premiers and still no announcement for the physical release yet).
But it is currently available on Prime, though.

Last edited:
this looks fun.

not sure i'm going to be able to catch this in theaters, but will definitely check it out when it's on streaming or blu-ray.

loved how its cgi but they still make it look like men in suits. lol.

always loved ultraman.

though ultraseven is my favorite because that was my intro into the ultraman universe of things.

Just got back. Really loved the movie. A bit weirdly paced, but I enjoyed them hitting a lot of different beats in the movie. Loved how the effects looked, so reminiscent of the old kaiju stuff. About the only thing that bugged was some of the quick cuts that kept happening. It was a bit of a distraction.

Laughed at the director interview before the movie we got. Kind of dissed on Japanese audiences. I do kind of wish I went to a decent sized crowd to see reactions of more fans.

Bring on Shin Kamen Rider.

Just got back. Really loved the movie. A bit weirdly paced, but I enjoyed them hitting a lot of different beats in the movie. Loved how the effects looked, so reminiscent of the old kaiju stuff. About the only thing that bugged was some of the quick cuts that kept happening. It was a bit of a distraction.

Laughed at the director interview before the movie we got. Kind of dissed on Japanese audiences. I do kind of wish I went to a decent sized crowd to see reactions of more fans.

Bring on Shin Kamen Rider.
I also thought it was kinda oddly paced. It feels like 4 episodes of a show edited into a movie.

It's still a really good time, it's just a shaggy good time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"