Godzilla Resurgence (2016)

Hulk1968

An agent of chaos...
Reaction score
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/japans-toho-produce-new-godzilla-754751

The announcement follows the success of this year's reboot from Legendary Pictures

Japan's Toho is to produce its first Godzilla film since 2004, following the success of this year's release from Legendary Pictures, the studio behind the original monster announced Monday.

"This is very good timing after the success of the American version this year: if not now, then when? The licensing contract we have with Legendary places no restrictions on us making domestic versions," a Toho staffer told The Hollywood Reporter.

The Gareth Edwards-directed Legendary version took more than $500 million globally and topped the Japanese box office on its opening weekend.

Japan's Internet giant SoftBank invested $250 million in Legendary in Oct following the breakdown of negotiations to buy DreamWorks Animation.

Budget, cast and director for what will be the 29th installment from Toho have yet to be decided, according to the studio. Production is slated to begin in summer 2015 and the film will be aimed at the global market.

Although Toho concedes it can't match $200 million Hollywood-size budget, advances in CG will allow it to create a film that can stand alongside such productions, according to a release from the studio.

The first Godzilla film was released by Toho in 1954, with the last from the storied Japanese studio Godzilla: Final Wars coming exactly half a century later in 2004. The franchise has been recognized by the Guinness World Records 2015 as the longest running in global cinematic history.

Toho also announced the formation of a Godzilla Strategic Conference (Godzi-Con), consisting of executives and directors that will look for ways to leverage the Godzilla brand through merchandising and other activities. The launch of Godzi-Con suggests that Toho is planning on creating a new Godzilla series, though the studio will not confirm anything beyond the 2016 film.

Edwards is set to direct the next Legendary Godzilla film, set for release in 2018.

So it's more of a japanese centric one? That's cool!

So it's more of a japanese centric one? That's cool!

From what I read, that's the idea. It'll be separate from the Legendary series
and will only be shown in Japanese theaters. (but that may change later on)

From the official Godzilla website: http://godzilla.jp/news/1029/ - translated by Bing.

New Godzilla making decisions!

DECEMBER 8 2014
Finish off the 60th anniversary godzillayer big surprise! Decision making completely new Godzilla!

Started by East treasure completely new Godzilla. In 2004, struck put an end to the Godzilla series from this year in 10 years.
Hot revival awaited Godzilla fan voice, finally making decisions! Publishing is in 2016. The birth of whole new Godzilla!

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how they try and approach Godzilla in light of how well he looked in the Legendary film. They don't usually have the budget to make that same quality CGI creature and I don't know that suitmation works well in this day and age.

HUZZAH!

I don't care which one they do.

As long as it's not the 98 version again. :p

They are going 2 show Mr. Cut Away From The Action how its done at least

It'll be interesting to see how they try and approach Godzilla in light of how well he looked in the Legendary film. They don't usually have the budget to make that same quality CGI creature and I don't know that suitmation works well in this day and age.

Likely they'll stick with the suit...I wonder if they could make an animatronic suit combining the realistic look of the Pan's Labyrinth costumes and Tokka/Rhazar from the second turtles movie (bad as the movie was, those were some great looking costumes). I think it would look better than straight CGI and the old rubber suit.

Assuming they release the film in December of 2016, which is when they usually do, this film would have the longest production time of any Toho Godzilla film. That with how ambitious they sound about it, this has me pretty gitty on what the quality of the film will be. I also can't wait to see how 10 years of filmmaking advancement would have on the suitmation style and effects.

This is really good news. They said they were going to put the franchise on hold for ten years, and now that interest has sparked for it again thanks to the latest film, it's a really good idea to capitalize on it. They said they are still deciding on suit or CGI, hopefully they do a combination of both.

With Edwards working on the next Godzilla film for 2018, this is a good idea.

Just don't make it ****. Please.

Just don't make it ****. Please.

That's sort of the kicker. While the last few movies weren't the worst of the series (though apparently I'm a minority in liking Final Wars), they also were not the best. The constant recycling of old monsters is just boring, imo. They yearly release cycle also hurt the movies quality.

Now, they do seem to be giving it a bit of a longer production time, so I am hoping the quality will be better. And more Godzilla is a good thing. I'm just hesitant about them screwing up any goodwill Legendary may have built up.

Assuming they release the film in December of 2016, which is when they usually do, this film would have the longest production time of any Toho Godzilla film. That with how ambitious they sound about it, this has me pretty gitty on what the quality of the film will be. I also can't wait to see how 10 years of filmmaking advancement would have on the suitmation style and effects.

From what I heard production will be starting early next year with a release date of "Fall 2016". That could mean "early December" since winter doesn't officially begin until December 22. It will still be a long production time which means they want to make the best movie they can. I also heard they are looking to get assistance from outside of Toho for the special effects but they'll be using suitmation, which I'm happy for as well to see what they can do. These are all mostly rumors so we won't know anything more until info comes out from the studio itself but it's nice to speculate, right? :)

New Toho Godzilla Movie in 2016...
Legendary's Godzilla Sequel in 2018...
Awesome!

Last edited:
New Toho Godzilla Movie in 2016...
Legendary's Godzilla Sequel in 2018...
Awesome!

I know, right?

And I come on the site tongiht and it's news on the front page.
The Hype is REALLY slow, if you ask me, LOLs. :whatever:

I'm still wondering if they're going full-blown CGI or man in rubber suit.

im really looking forward to this and it will help legendary stay on there toes fans win either way......unless they both suck then we lose twice. crap

The fact they aren't rushing this out in a year gives me hope.

The fact they aren't rushing this out in a year gives me hope.

I agree. It was just announced recently and production begins early next year, IIRC. So that means they'll have all of next year and the majority of 2016 to get it right. Hopefully we'll hear some news of the plot - sometime next year. :D

lol as soon as i completed my godzilla dvd collection(yeah some are bootlegs but i'll take what i can get) they go and add another

ahh what the hell this is good news

lol as soon as i completed my godzilla dvd collection(yeah some are bootlegs but i'll take what i can get) they go and add another

ahh what the hell this is good news

I see. Well this won't be out until late fall of 2016.
It seems to me that Toho most likely will start a new series of Godzilla films, besides what Legendary will be doing.
So as a long-time Godzilla fan, this is great news to me.

Finally a Godzilla movie that is true to the classics I hope

I imagine that that is what they end up doing and the 2016 Godzilla film will end up being garbage

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"