Godzilla Resurgence (2016)

The tagline is "Japan vs Godzilla" so it looks like it'll finally be our first solo film since 1984. That's great since the two solo films we've had in the past are considered the best in the franchise.

Last edited:
English Language Poster

img_visual_en.jpg

Funny how one element (the eye) can kill an entire design.,

I like how they're going back to Godzilla's 1954 roots with him being a representation of what happened to Japan in 54. He's very much a victim of atom bomb, and you feel pity just as much as fear. He's an abomination that never should've been, and I think this design embodies that perfectly.

Not quite. In the original film, Godzilla was not created by the bombs; he was a member of a species that had survived since prehistoric times in the ocean depths, much like the coelacanth.

The people of Otoshima had worshipped and sacrificed to him as a god for generations. The Marshall Islands nuclear tests displaced him from his normal feeding grounds, driving him to seek new food sources in Japan. Apparently they also made him radioactive, hence his atomic breath. And this same thing happened to three known members of the species: the original Godzilla killed in the first film, the second Godzilla featured from Godzilla Raids Again through Terror of Mechagodzilla, and Minilla, the juvenile member of the species. (Something very similar also happened to the giant octopus in Ray Harryhausen's It Came from Beneath the Sea, a year after Gojira. Those selfsame Marshall Islands tests contaminated a naturally occurring giant octopus, and the fish it preyed upon could sense its radioactivity and were able to flee its approach, so it had to seek out new food sources that couldn't sense radioactivity, such as humans.)

The idea of Godzilla as a mutant created by atomic radiation didn't come along until Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah in 1991.

Not quite. In the original film, Godzilla was not created by the bombs; he was a member of a species that had survived since prehistoric times in the ocean depths, much like the coelacanth.

The people of Otoshima had worshipped and sacrificed to him as a god for generations. The Marshall Islands nuclear tests displaced him from his normal feeding grounds, driving him to seek new food sources in Japan. Apparently they also made him radioactive, hence his atomic breath. And this same thing happened to three known members of the species: the original Godzilla killed in the first film, the second Godzilla featured from Godzilla Raids Again through Terror of Mechagodzilla, and Minilla, the juvenile member of the species. (Something very similar also happened to the giant octopus in Ray Harryhausen's It Came from Beneath the Sea, a year after Gojira. Those selfsame Marshall Islands tests contaminated a naturally occurring giant octopus, and the fish it preyed upon could sense its radioactivity and were able to flee its approach, so it had to seek out new food sources that couldn't sense radioactivity, such as humans.)

The idea of Godzilla as a mutant created by atomic radiation didn't come along until Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah in 1991.

Godzilla got his radioactive powers from the bomb in the original film, as you just said. The 90s films expanded upon that idea but its always been there.

Godzilla looks pretty bad. His eye looks like one of those "googly eyes" that kids use in crafts.

Actually he was mutated by the atom bomb in the original film. He was originally suppose to be a metaphor for nuclear weapons, Director Ishirō Honda said so himself:
If Godzilla had been a dinosaur or some other animal, he would have been killed by just one cannonball. But if he were equal to an atomic bomb, we wouldn't know what to do. So, I took the characteristics of an atomic bomb and applied them to Godzilla."

Yes, the atom bomb. But more towards the later testing than the actual bombing of Japan.

He was mutated by the H-bomb testings in the pacific. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah just expanded on that.

庵野秀明×樋口真嗣のゴジラ!『シン・ゴジラ』特報 (just a teaser trailer
3.gif
)

But why did they even bother putting something like that together and releasing it? There's nothing there...:huh: besides those running people of course...

It's more than what we usually get with Toho's teaser trailers. This was the teaser for the 50th anniversary film. Hell that one snippet of Godzilla we see at the end wasn't even from the film it was advertising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWuL6a-_0iE

Last edited:
Hell that one snippet of Godzilla we see at the end wasn't even from the film it was advertising.

3.gif
And I thougth I was accustomed to all the weirdness that can happen in this world... but now I can see an amount of absurdity in this universe is boundless. :woot:

I mean, seems like they have really interesting mentality in Japan. Imagine WB releasing new Batman trailer, where actually next to nothing happens and at the end is some one second Batman footage from Batman and Robin...
3.gif

Ugly & Evil. I like it.

3.gif

I love the design.

Ah crap, I was afraid that rumor was true. I don't like it and they're trying way too hard to be scary. Hopefully the theory that it's the original '54 Godzilla still in a state of regeneration after the oxygen destroyer is true and this'll is just be temporary in the film.

Last edited:
Godzilla looks pretty bad. His eye looks like one of those "googly eyes" that kids use in crafts.

It's quite funny, but at least they aren't as bad as the eyes from the 1985 movie.

Derrrrrrrrrrr

D4tr8Wt.jpg

These eyes are nearly as bad as the 1985 movie's, though.

I do like the exposed muscles. Really need to see it in motion (in addition to any CGI they may use to enhance it).

And again, really seeing the Attack on Titan influences.

Maybe he looks better in motion? He'll probably get a bit of CGI work on him before he's finished anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"