Should Actors who speak multiple languages dub their character in other languages?

Dr. Evil

Eternal
Reaction score
Should actors who speak multiple languages dub their character in the other languages that they are fluent in? Example, Diego Luna is doing Cassian Andor for Disney+ and that will be in English. Now his main language is Spanish and naturally he should do Cassian's Spanish voiceover. I thought about this when I saw the Netflix series Lupin. It's in French and Omar Sy is the main character. His English isn't bad, but the English dubbing is done by Michael Jai White, which is just weird. Is this due to Sy's heavy accent when he speaks English as to why he doesn't do English re-dubbing? Or is it because of the Pandemic that White is already in the States and can record his lines? I would assume that Daniel Bruhl will do the German (and Spanish) dubbing for Zemo in Falcon and Winter Soldier.

I always wonder this about movies as well. If Javier Bardem does a movie in English, does he re-dub that character in Spanish if that role requires a re-dub? It's one thing to have someone else voice Tom Hanks' character in another language. I would think that folks like Bardem, Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal would re-dub their English language characters in movies and TV shows into Spanish. Or even the French actors who do English language films and TV. I would assume that they would do the re-dubs of their characters in French if necessary but I could be mistaken.

It is a given, I think.

Ken Watanabe always dubbed all his own dialogue in all of his Hollywood appearances movies's in the Japan dubbed version.

Same with others, like TAO and Sanada Hiroyuki who also voicing Mariko and Shingen in Wolverine: Samurai's Jp dubbed. And many others.

I am sure Shun Oguri (should his character speak English in Godzilla vs Kong) will be voicing his own character too in GvK's Jp dubbed. (Also Yamazaki Hirona in Monster Hunter's dubbed)

Exception perhaps only apply to those actors/actress who is not really a native Japan, like the actress who plays Katana in Suicide Squad (I don't remember her name). She is voiced by other seiyuu (voice actor) with more natural Japanese language sounds.

EDIT: I am sorry, I just realized I am in TV section and this is should be talking about TV Show. Haha. But my points remains same.

Last edited:
Where possible it's better for the original actor to dub their own lines. Bruce Lee sounds odd in these American dubs of his voice taken from the original Mandarin or Cantonese cuts.

But dubbing can look odd when not matched well with the lip movement. I'd say that if possible, certain actors should film multiple takes in different languages which can then be used for different markets. I don't know how practical that would be to edit all that though.

If they are hired for it, i dont see why not. It is a separate job so it all comes down to $$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"