Should Captain Marvel take the serious approach, or be turned into a comedy?

Somewhat off topic...

as2ctth.jpg

Armin Shimerman (aka Principal Snyder, Quark) for Sivana!

I think we beat this one to a pulp in another thread.
It should be a serious movie balanced with well placed tongue-in-cheek humor. The makers of this movie want people to believe in this icon, otherwise, NO ONE will want to see it.

The approach with Sky High and Sky Captain and The Incredibles was actually serious with lots of humor. You were expected to enjoy these movies because they were serious about what they were portraying- superheros (which, HELLO, don't really exist in our plane of existence).
We would like to believe; we would like to be a superhero- that's why Captain Marvel/Billy was so popular. It was puny, funny and taught the difference between right and wrong, good and evil. Serious subject matter that is best learned thru humor.

I still think that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Captain Marvel and Omar Sharif as the wizard Shazam would be a great comic pairing. Find a kid who can steal scenes from these guys and you'll have a movie that the critics will insist is a must see. (Aren't they all?)
It can be taken seriously without being so serious that it drags itself into the black hole of pretentiousness.

I don't think Black Adam should be in any of these movies. He's a modern DC addition, not part of the original early Fawcett stories.
They should really stick with the Fawcett comic history.
Billy, the Wizard, Billy's Uncle, Dr Sivana and his Goa'uld, later on- Mary and Tawney (hey, if you can have a Goa'uld worm, you can have a talking Kzinti Tiger-look it up).

Black Adam could show up in the 2nd sequel.

I want the sound of 7 thunders!
I want to feel that when he utters SHAZAM! the first time.
(And I want him to say COOL! when he sees what happens to him.
He can say HOLY MOLEY! when something outrageous happens during a fight.)

InkSlinger said:
I don't think Black Adam should be in any of these movies. He's a modern DC addition, not part of the original early Fawcett stories.

According to the price guide in the back of last month's (or technically this month's) Wizard, we first get to meet Black Adam in Marvel Family Vol.1 #1 (to differentiate it from Fantastic Four: The Marvel Family, an obscure magazine format series published for14 issues in the early '70s.) Dated August 1945. BTW, this was the first issue to introduce Captain Marvel Jr, too

InkSlinger said:
They should really stick with the Fawcett comic history.
Billy, the Wizard, Billy's Uncle, Dr Sivana and his Goa'uld, later on- Mary and Tawney (hey, if you can have a Goa'uld worm, you can have a talking Kzinti Tiger-look it up).

Black Adam could show up in the 2nd sequel.

Yeah what the hell are you talking about?

Publisher Fawcett Comics (1945)
DC Comics (1973 - present) First appearance The Marvel Family #1 (1945, historical)
The Power of Shazam! graphic novel (1994, canon

BAH HUMBBUG! said:
Yeah what the hell are you talking about?

Publisher Fawcett Comics (1945)
DC Comics (1973 - present) First appearance The Marvel Family #1 (1945, historical)
The Power of Shazam! graphic novel (1994, canon

I'm pointing out that too many of you are saying Dr. Sivana being controlled by a worm was silly and shouldn't be used. It's been used for 7 years with a lot of success on Star Gate SG-1- what do you think a Goa'uld is? It's a worm. The Kzinti are talking cat/tiger humanoids created by Sci-Fi writer Larry Niven and used in 'Enterprise' to pretty good efffect. So Talkie Tawney is not a reach, like some of you think.
I like evil scientists like Dr. Sivana (and Lex Luthor, originally) and think they are perfect as a villian in a "family movie".
Stick to the original origin storyline and characters and this movie will work. Like I said, Black Adam came along much later. So did Mary, but I think she'll be neccessary to this movie, so she needs to show up earlier.
If he is introduced, it should be much later.
Having a hero and a villan with the same powers would be like filming twin brothers fighting all of the time. No one else cares.
So, you could make a serious movie with these characters and still have a lot of humor.

Yes, your link shows a cover with the Black Adam name, but no other reference as to the character.
I can't find a copy of that book (reprint or otherwise) that says this is the same Black Adam that Ordway created.
I still think Black Adam as we know it is the Jerry Ordway creation from 1995.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"