Should Hercules appear in Thor?

Sardaukar

Sidekick
Reaction score
Some of the best Thor issues were when Hercules showed up.

He is the perfect funny man for the Odinson's adventures.

At least, I think he should be in one of the sequels.

Last edited:
Not at all. Movie goers will have enough to digest to begin with..

Hercules showing up in a Thor movie would be like Frodo showing up in Narnia. I mean, it could happen, but it would be kind of silly.

Last edited:
Hercules showing up in a Thor movie would be like Frodo showing up in Narnia. I mean, it could happen, but it would be kind of silly.

Asgard and Olympus exist in a shared universe within Marvel continuity, unlike Middle-Earth and Narnia.

Not only that, but Hercules shows up in Thor quite regularly so I don't see why it wouldn't make sense for a movie. Once you introduce one pantheon of gods within a film (which is the hardest part - making them believable), I don't see how it's a big deal to establish another.

I wouldn't get into that within the first movie. Maybe you could have them meet in an Avengers movie (sequel), but it'd be too much to throw Hercules into the Thor movie.

Asgard and Olympus exist in a shared universe within Marvel continuity, unlike Middle-Earth and Narnia.

Not only that, but Hercules shows up in Thor quite regularly so I don't see why it wouldn't make sense for a movie. Once you introduce one pantheon of gods within a film (which is the hardest part - making them believable), I don't see how it's a big deal to establish another.

It would be silly nonetheless. What works in comics doesn't necessarily work in movies. I'll give you some examples: the X-Men and Belasco coexist in the same universe. Iron Man and Fin Fang Foom coexist in the same universe. Now try to make a X-Men movie where the mutants fight a demon from the Divine Comedy and his hordes or an Iron Man movie where Stark fights a giant talking dragon and there you have it: a huge amount of silliness.

Not convinced? OK. So let's look at it this way: the norse mythology is rich, complex and has a huge and interesting pantheon of gods and magical creatures. Adding greek gods to the mix, you would confound the general audience, most of them having their first contact with the norse gods. Too much information in a movie where you have to estabilish a character's arc, world, friends and enemies. As story-telling, it's mega counterproductive.

Last edited:
I can't see Herc in a Thor film. MAYBE a later Avengers film or even a few times in the cartoon series.

I can't see it either. And you know why? Because Thor doesn't need it. The norse mythology is rich enough for one movie, thank you very much. Besides that, when you pick a character from some specific culture or mythos, and mix him with a non-related culture, chances are, you're in for camp storytelling.

Imagine a native american indian god (or whatever they used to worship) showing up in the middle of that battle in Troy, fighting Achiles or Hector. That would be so campy. The same could be said of Hercules showing up in Asgard. To decontextualize a character is the easiest way to make him campy.

They did it in the comics? Besides comics being another medium, the comics creators have to bring a new threat to our heroes every month, for decades. There comes a time when all the villains/situations from the hero universe are too tired, and then they have to try something different. That's why we had, say, the X-Men in space, with the Shiar Empire. Or Hercules in Thor comics.

It's not that different from what happens in horror movies. When there's nothing new to tell about Dracula in Victorian London, you put him in space ("Dracula 3000"), in the Old West ("Dracula vs. Billy the Kid"). Or you have Jason in Space. Or a giant Frankenstein monster fighting dinosaurs in a japanese movie. Things like that. Better yet: in the 1940s, when Universal was running out of ideas for its monsters, they started making films featuring Dracula, the Frankenstein monster and the werewolf together. The result was a lot of lackluster movies. They were forcing some characters who had nothing in common (besides being Universal monsters) to coexist in an artificial universe. The storylines didn't feel natural. Now, if you try to read "Thor" and "Hercules" where I wrote "Dracula" and "Frankenstein", you get the idea.

What I'm trying to say is that putting Thor and Hercules against each other in a Thor movie is as artistic, creative and intelligent as putting their action figures to fight in your backyard when you're 8 years old. Plus, it would feel like some cheap, made for TV special.

Last edited:
A reference to other Gods, if not Hercules directly, is the most I'd want.

I mean seriously, there's gonna be enough to fit into the running time, let alone all the stuff that wont make it.

No way is there room for an actual appearance from the Prince of Power.

The only way I could see Herc in anyof the films right now is a background character.
I CAN see herc somewhere at SHIELD in the Avengers movie, kind of like milling around in the background.

Definitely not for the first movie. A crossover with the Greek gods could be a really cool idea for a Thor sequel, though. Rather than making Herc appear as just a random buddy of Thor's, have Thor and the Asgardians encounter Olympus and make it the basis for the whole movie. That could work.

No. The focus should be entirely on Thor. This is his chance to shine on a world wide scale...hopefully, Marvel's smart enough to not allow him to share the spotlight with anyone...save the leading lady and Odin...and even then, only sparingly. I want the world to see what an awesome superhero Thor is. Time for secondary character development in the sequel...

Totally agree.

I'd love to see Hercules appear in this movie, but it will not happen. Not in the 1st installment anyway. If they release a sequel down the line, it's much more likely.

I love the "Pluto Hades" story, but that's for another time after this movie. Oh I don't agree with Canis Sapiens" either, dude with a good writer sticking to the cannon you can't go wrong.

Oh sorry, I should be writing this to FOX instead, never mind.

Definitely not for quite awhile at least. I mean like after 3 or so Thor films AND already having introduced Hercules maybe in an Avengers sequel(probably not the first 1st or 2nd of those either). I mean the Marvel Universe is a place where science and magic, aliens and spiritual beings all co-exist together and ultimately that's what I'd want for the movie universe as well, but you have to ease into it ever so slowly over quite a long period of time(and films), lest you overwhelm the audiences ability to suspend disbelief.

Last edited:
They should concentrate on the whole northern mythology first before introducing greek elements. Sequel, maybe. First movie, no thanks.

^It kinda saddens me to think about all the people that would be confused as HELL if there was Norse and Greek mythology in the movie. Does nobody read anymore? Mythology should be made mandatory in schools:cmad:

I don't know about that, but it is kind of sad that more people don't know anything about mythology these days. Especially Norse mythology.

I'd have preferred to read about Norse/Greek Mythology than pretty much 90% of the crap I had to in school.

Everybody always said "It'll make you well rounded" and "It'll come up in conversation, you don't want to look ignorant". Honestly, I talk about Thor and Hercules waaaay more than Romeo and Juliet in my daily travels :o.

I remember when I was a kid I would read loads of books about all the greek mythology stuff. It was interesting that from there I went into comic books. Just seemed to be a natural progression for me.

I made my way into mythology after borrowing Aesop's Fables from my school library for the 50000th time :D

Some of the best Thor issues were when Hercules showed up.

He is the perfect funny man for the Odinson's adventures.

At least, I think he should be in one of the sequels.

Asgard vs Olympus is best saved for another movie, not this one, despite Herc showing up in Thor's storylines in the comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"