Should I take the offer?

Kessel Day said:
hullo DM -

it certainly is flattering to have such an offer tendered to you. it also would be attractive to have some of the busy work taken over by "underlings" not to mention having greater resources for your clients' defense.

on the other hand, even if you will be a partner, it won't be the same as being a sole practitioner and having your own firm. a lawyer friend of mine said that taking on a partner is kind of like getting married - if personalities clash, it might make it unpleasant to work there no matter what the salary and other perks are.
Oh, I am thoroughly acquainted with what being in a partnership means. My firm started out in 2002 as a partnership until end of 2005. And as you said, we split due to irreconcillable differences. So, yeah. On that point I agree. Nothing beats not being accountable to anyone but yourself.

Hi again.

I may not take the job after all. Of all things, I forgot to take into consideration another factor.

My employees.

They'd be out of jobs if I close my firm. And some of them have families. I have 3 associates, a receptionist, a general clerk, a dispatch and a secretary.

I can't say that it won't pain me to reject the offer, but I'm being selfish if I take the job.

I've spoken to my associates, and none of them have the fortitude to take over and run the firm. So, if I go, they all go. And I'd be worried sick wondering if they managed to land themselves a job.

Yeah, it's great to "hear" that a boss cares enough about his employees to pass on more money for their sake.

in my opinion, it depends on how far away it is from your home, ho many hours, and the amount of time youll be seeing your daughter compared to now. also, if you need the money, that will obviously help your decision

Danger Mouse said:
Hi again.

I may not take the job after all. Of all things, I forgot to take into consideration another factor.

My employees.

They'd be out of jobs if I close my firm. And some of them have families. I have 3 associates, a receptionist, a general clerk, a dispatch and a secretary.

I can't say that it won't pain me to reject the offer, but I'm being selfish if I take the job.

I've spoken to my associates, and none of them have the fortitude to take over and run the firm. So, if I go, they all go. And I'd be worried sick wondering if they managed to land themselves a job.
that is a good point. by the way you made it seem, i thought you worked alone

Danger Mouse said:
Hi again.

My employees.

The kind of owner/boss that thinks about his employees that way, taking their well-being into consideration, is a rarity indeed. Good for you, man. :up:

jag

Danger Mouse said:
Hi again.

My employees.

You couldn't negotiate to bring them with you? Clearly if the firm is adding another partner, they are going to need support staff for that person... unless, of course, they have staff just lollying around doing nothing right now... but that's not really very common.

I have to say that it now sounds like you're looking for reasons not to take it. If that's where your heart is, then don't.

Daisy said:
You couldn't negotiate to bring them with you? Clearly if the firm is adding another partner, they are going to need support staff for that person... unless, of course, they have staff just lollying around doing nothing right now... but that's not really very common.

I have to say that it now sounds like you're looking for reasons not to take it. If that's where your heart is, then don't.
Well, as your signature goes...

You shouldve taken my advice and shot the hostage.

Darthphere said:
You shouldve taken my advice and shot the hostage.
HEY! I TRIED, OKAY? It's the damn bullets! They keep going all over and sideways!

Danger Mouse said:
Hi again.

My employees.

ehh if thats what ya need to convince yourself you did the right decision, good for you.:down

"finding something that truly makes you happy in life is a million times better than finding something that makes you rich"

GoldenAgeHero said:
ehh if thats what ya need to convince yourself you did the right decision, good for you.:down
Nope, it was kinda like the straw. But whatever.

JMAfan said:
"finding something that truly makes you happy in life is a million times better than finding something that makes you rich"
I find wealth makes me very happy. ;) :D

Wouldn't it make you?

Danger Mouse said:
I find wealth makes me very happy. ;) :D

Wouldn't it make you?

i'm a teacher, i'll never be wealthy......unless you count the chance to change lives wealth???? and no i wouldn't want to do anything else...

if spending the time you can w/ your daughter is what makes you happy, if seeing her through all of her educational endeavors w/o having to choose daughter over work, or work over daughter....makes you happy....theres no wealth in the world that can replace that....

Danger Mouse said:
Hi again.

My employees.

and who says lawyers have stones for hearts? good for you, DM, you ol softy! :)

Danger Mouse said:

'ol isn't the same as "old", my dear marshal mouse. it's a folksy expression mostly used in southern parts here in the u.s. of a. i picked up quite a bit of that stuff living in southern illinois where everyone says "howdy". :o

Danger Mouse said:
Hi again.

My employees.

As I thought you had already taken them into consideration. Good for you for doing so. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"