Should X-men split from the Marvel Superhero universe?

In the MU, the majority of heroes are still seen like that, though. There's a few that got some degree of public support, like the FF and Cap, but for the most part the citizens of the MU still trust superheroes very little.

I really dont care what the public think of the X-men. I dont feel as if its taken away from them that they arent universally loved and respected and dont necesarily think that needs to change.

^ You are basically saying that what I am calling for has already happened, except that Marvel doesn't have the balls to go all the way with it and put the X-men in their own universe separate from 616. They are stuck in limbo, and I think Marvel needs to make up their mind where they stand on it. Also, I don't really agree with your suggestion that getting powers through an accident is like winning the lottery. Peter Parker is just as much of a "freak" as the mutants, but he's not seen that way simply because he wasn't born like that. If people are going to have animosity towards mutants, the realistic thing would be that it spills over into animosity towards everyone with superpowers. But then of course, the uniqueness of mutants being born with their powers disappears, because it becomes little more than an easy explanation for people having powers.

I think that the best solution is to simply have one universe where everyone gets their powers from technology, magic, and science accidents (616) and one where they get their powers from mutations at birth (X-men universe). It would solve pretty much all of the problems that have been brought up, and the only problems it would really create is that there would be a lot of retconning needed, and some of the kids would have to be split up in the divorce (i.e. do the mutants who are more associated with the Avengers stay in 616 and get new explanations for their powers, or go to the X-men universe?). Also, there wouldn't be crossover stories between the X-men and non-mutant superheroes anymore, but honestly I could live quite comfortably without that.

ummm spider-man several times has been referred to as a freak. Also the public has no idea who peter is, and nor do they really know what spidey's abilities are. In fact.. hasn't there been a story arch where people thought he was a mutant?

I think it would be cool if someone had a story planned out, a complete X-Men story to maybe last several dozen issues or so, that is self-contained and in its own continuity, where mutants exist and there is no such thing as a superhero. This could be done without separating the X-Men from Marvel continuity, as an ultimate/elseworld type thing.

I think it would be cool if someone had a story planned out, a complete X-Men story to maybe last several dozen issues or so, that is self-contained and in its own continuity, where mutants exist and there is no such thing as a superhero. This could be done without separating the X-Men from Marvel continuity, as an ultimate/elseworld type thing.

isn't that pretty much "days of future past" ? arn't all the heroes dead there?

isn't that pretty much "days of future past" ? arn't all the heroes dead there?
Suppose so but that was 30 years ago. No one remembers 1981 -- it probably never even happened.

All I'm saying is that I can see how the X-Men and mutant persecution concept can be interpreted as slightly deluded in a universe of scores of non-mutant super-powered beings. I don't think it causes any real damage or that it should be separate from the rest of 616, but exploring it in its own singular continuity could be fine (like the movies).

... are you honestly trying to say no one remembers "days of future past"? :dry:

i think the largest problem, period with not just the x-men, but several marvel titles.. is Evolution. The X-men imo at this point should evolve a bit away mutants vs humans... sure its an integeral part of there history.. but if it's causing such a problem, they just need to find a way to evolve it into something a little different. I think they tried with "M day" and the x-men have imo been moving into a nice niche in the marvel universe, though it really should integrate itself more with the rest of the heroes. It also sort of makes the other heroes seem like *******s for never helping with the mutant affairs in there most serious moments. (that's one reason i was glad to see the avengers show up at the end of Second Coming).

... are you honestly trying to say no one remembers "days of future past"? :dry:

i think the largest problem, period with not just the x-men, but several marvel titles.. is Evolution. The X-men imo at this point should evolve a bit away mutants vs humans... sure its an integeral part of there history.. but if it's causing such a problem, they just need to find a way to evolve it into something a little different. I think they tried with "M day" and the x-men have imo been moving into a nice niche in the marvel universe, though it really should integrate itself more with the rest of the heroes. It also sort of makes the other heroes seem like *******s for never helping with the mutant affairs in there most serious moments. (that's one reason i was glad to see the avengers show up at the end of Second Coming).
Do you remember it?

You aren't really asking if he remembers something that he brought up...are you?

I can understand your point about splitting the X-Men off in their own universe.

I would not like to see this happen due to the rich history the X-Men share in the 616 universe.

I think people around here are forgetting that, back in the day, all the superheroes were seen with a degree of skepticism. Only when they have proved themselves in public did they get public support. In other words, the X-Men have yet to get a good PR rep.

DSW

Actually, the X-Men have hired a PR agent, work directly with the mayor of San Francisco, and Cyclops was rewarded by the president for the X-Men's efforts in saving the city recently.

What some people don't seem to realize is that the X-Men have finally reached the point where they're beloved superheroes. They've been moving in that direction for a few years now. That old "why do people like other superheroes but hate the X-Men" argument doesn't really stand anymore when the X-Men are calling the police for back-up.

As for the original topic, let's think about where the X-Men franchise is now. Yes, there's still ten tons of comics coming out of that one corner of the Marvel Universe. However, the mutant population is only in the hundreds and they mostly live in one area (San Francisco and Utopia [which is off the coast of SF]). The X-Men Universe is much smaller than where it used to be. So why separate it now?

Given that the X-Statix were complete celebrity superheroes in California despite being mutants (and mostly strange looking ones at that), it makes sense that tradition would carry over towards that state basically accepting the X-Men as superheroes akin to the Order or the West Coast Avengers. Magneto's a former terrorist? Che Guevara and Fidel Castro are probably more popular with some circles than any U.S. politician.

OP: yes.

In fact I am curious can someone recommend some good X-Men arcs that are very distanced from the MU?

Welp, my earlier argument is no longer valid.

I dont generally practice the dark art of thread necromancy, but i was curious. I'll look into Dark Angel, I'm not too familiar with that one. Thanks Havoc, any others? :]

The Marvel Universe really needs like... population control.

Just look at Ultimate Spider-man (the crappy show), Spider-man is drowning in other superheroes.

With X-Men it kind of creates a disconnect with the entire premise. Why are mutants such a maligned group in a world where so many people have super powers?

On the other hand, I do like some of the characters interacting.

I'm not answering this question again. It's simple. It makes perfect sense. Figure it out yourself.

I have a better question. Why is it you people can't understand such a simple concept and why it's an awesome metaphor for real life? I

think it comes down to the fact that you people just don't understand how Bigotry works.

I'm not answering this question again. It's simple. It makes perfect sense. Figure it out yourself.

I have a better question. Why is it you people can't understand such a simple concept and why it's an awesome metaphor for real life? I

think it comes down to the fact that you people just don't understand how Bigotry works.

I cant say i'll ever understand how bigotry works.

Oh well. I guess we'll have to suffice without your input. Thanks anyway.

Isn't that kind of a good thing? I mean, having to explain bigotry means we're making progress, as opposed to going, "Mutants are black people" or "Mutants are Jews" and everyone automatically going, "Ooooh, okay, now I get it." :oldrazz:

The prejudice thing really only works if only mutants have superpowers.

Okay, maybe a handful of individuals who aren't mutants. But you can't have dozens of popular super-powered superheroes living in New York.

Though really the whole bigotry thing is starting to get dated. In this PC world, mutants wouldn't be called mutants. They'd be called genetically modified Americans.

That would fit better for the non mutant super humans. They're actually modified. Mutants however are simply born that way.

And I'm not talking about simple bigotry. I'm talking about how a person can make a difference between mutants, and super humans. It comes down to the fact that non mutant super humans used to be human and mutants never were. It's just that simple. That small explanation is the reason why they aren't trying to lynch Captain America in the streets....usually....cuz they did try to do that once. So, you know, they don't actually like the non mutants all that much either. :o

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"