Should X-men split from the Marvel Superhero universe?

True, but "mutant" just sounds derogatory period. Genetically mutated Americans?

The prejudice thing really only works if only mutants have superpowers.

Okay, maybe a handful of individuals who aren't mutants. But you can't have dozens of popular super-powered superheroes living in New York.

Though really the whole bigotry thing is starting to get dated. In this PC world, mutants wouldn't be called mutants. They'd be called genetically modified Americans.
Um not all mutants are Americans

Had they not thrown out what Grant Morrison did with the X-Men, I'm sure Marvel's version of the ACLU woulda come up with something. :o

Oh and what Havok said. :o :o :o

Anubis said:
That would fit better for the non mutant super humans. They're actually modified. Mutants however are simply born that way.

And I'm not talking about simple bigotry. I'm talking about how a person can make a difference between mutants, and super humans. It comes down to the fact that non mutant super humans used to be human and mutants never were. It's just that simple. That small explanation is the reason why they aren't trying to lynch Captain America in the streets....usually....cuz they did try to do that once. So, you know, they don't actually like the non mutants all that much either. :o

Last edited:
Of course not. Sarcasm doesn't translate well in the middle of a super serious debate over the lives of fictional men and women in brightly colored tights.

I believe that the X-Men universe should be separate because it really does distort their stories

Do I really have to explain how that was a joke on contemporary American culture?

Probably, since a lot of people support the ridiculous and constant changing of the words we use for the sake of sensitivity.

Anyway, yes I feel the whole mutant story line is best separate from the rest of the Marvel universe, and undoing the deus ex machina that solved this problem was a horrible idea.

Then again, it's all part of accepting what Marvel is. A lot of great characters and great plot ideas that will never be fully realized because they aren't made to end, so a lot of bad ideas and crossovers will happen... often.

God, there is no ******** nerd complaint, not even the ****ing Eagles thing in Lord of the Rings, that I hate more than this one.

The X-Men work just fine in the Marvel Universe. The wider U's relative acceptance of non Mutant supers does not contradict what X-Men is about or make them out of place at all. Real life bigotry is full of nonsensical double standards, because bigotry is completely nonsensical. It's not based on any kind of valid logic. If it made sense, it wouldn't be bigotry, it would be a reasonable distinction.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the X-Men fit perfectly in the Marvel universe that Stan Lee envisioned. Stan Lee's concept for the MU was that even though this was all one universe from the beginning, characters would only occassionally cross over and the reader wouldn't be bombarded with tons of crossovers and team-ups so often. Team books like the Avengers that feature an ensemble of superheroes from the Marvel universe were obviously an exception to this though.

Nowadays, everything is connected. You read one Marvel book and you know what the entire Marvel universe is doing at the moment. Thus it becomes a lot harder for many fans (including myself) to suspend disbelief on the whole mutant issue and the fact that the X-Men side of the universe seems to be ignored by the rest of the universe most of the time isn't helping out by much, though I admit Marvel has been getting better at integrating the X-Men into the rest of the universe.

God, there is no ******** nerd complaint, not even the ****ing Eagles thing in Lord of the Rings, that I hate more than this one.

The X-Men work just fine in the Marvel Universe. The wider U's relative acceptance of non Mutant supers does not contradict what X-Men is about or make them out of place at all. Real life bigotry is full of nonsensical double standards, because bigotry is completely nonsensical. It's not based on any kind of valid logic. If it made sense, it wouldn't be bigotry, it would be a reasonable distinction.
tumblr_m63qcl1hkx1r3zat8.gif

While prejudice is indeed an undertone of X-Men that happens in real life and therefore would be an applicable topic to address by any Marvel writer in any Marvel story, the idea that a spontaneous epidemic of humans gaining superpower-granting genetic mutations is something that should be applied to every Marvel story does not do justice to many of the stories that were better off without. Sometimes it just leads to awkward and poorly written crossovers that have loose, if any, application to real life morality and ethics. (Hullo, AvX.) A prime example of why the universes would be separate if story was Marvel's focus is the whole "No more mutants," nonsense. X-Men's story was putting too many random mutants in the Marvel U, so it made sense for them to do this, but the whole idea was detrimental to the X-Men plot where it is best if they are dealing with new people and new mutants constantly, so their plot suffered. When an ongoing theme benefits one story but is detrimental to another, the ideas should usually be separate.

While prejudice is indeed an undertone of X-Men that happens in real life and therefore would be an applicable topic to address by any Marvel writer in any Marvel story, the idea that a spontaneous epidemic of humans gaining superpower-granting genetic mutations is something that should be applied to every Marvel story does not do justice to many of the stories that were better off without. Sometimes it just leads to awkward and poorly written crossovers that have loose, if any, application to real life morality and ethics. (Hullo, AvX.) A prime example of why the universes would be separate if story was Marvel's focus is the whole "No more mutants," nonsense. X-Men's story was putting too many random mutants in the Marvel U, so it made sense for them to do this, but the whole idea was detrimental to the X-Men plot where it is best if they are dealing with new people and new mutants constantly, so their plot suffered. When an ongoing theme benefits one story but is detrimental to another, the ideas should usually be separate.

No one's been advocating that. It's pretty easy to not deal directly with mutant stuff in a non X-book. It happens all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"