Should they recast T'Challa/Black Panther or make Shuri the new Panther?

Tg11

Superhero
Reaction score
Should they recast T'Challa/Black Panther and a new actor steps into the role picking up from where Chadwick left off or do they kill off the character? Should they make Shuri the new Panther of Wakanda and the new Queen of Wakanda?

While he is not here anymore to keep the character going, T'Challa is a valuable symbol for many people. Chadwick brought us a character that broke new ground not just for CBMs, but cinema. I think he would want the legacy of the character to continue, and to keep inspiring people.

I think there is no better way to honor his legacy than to keep the flame he lit alive.

The character is too important to too many people to not continue. I trust marvel studios to find someone great to fill in the role. And we will always have the infinity saga to remember the man who changed the world.

Recast. To me Black Panther is T'challa not Shuri. We have barely even seen his story. Bond has many different actors.

Recast. Some people might not like it, but killing off screen TChalla is going to be much worse. Also, let the legacy of the character continue.

However, I do think its too early for @Tg11 to be making this thread. And I think Marvel Studios should save the recasting for next year.

It happened in real life. It's not supposed to sit right. That's the point. The message sent by having the mantle passed after an untimely passing is far more powerful than the one sent by recasting. Heroes fall, but we go on, inspired by the way they lived. We don't pretend losses didn't happen. This isn't a War Machine situation.

It happened in real life.

Yes. Let's remember this. Chadwick's real life death is unpleasant, and not everyone wants to see this situation replicated with a fictional character who gave people hope and inspiration.

The message sent by having the mantle passed after an untimely passing is far more powerful than the one sent by recasting.

For You. Other people are going to feel differently.

We don't pretend losses didn't happen. This isn't a War Machine situation.

Chadwick passed away. That is going to be felt regardless of what they end up doing. Recasting T'Challa does not mean people are pretending loss didn't happen.

It happened in real life. It's not supposed to sit right. That's the point. The message sent by having the mantle passed after an untimely passing is far more powerful than the one sent by recasting. Heroes fall, but we go on, inspired by the way they lived. We don't pretend losses didn't happen. This isn't a War Machine situation.
That's a very interesting and valid way to look at it...

It's a damn shame Anthony Mackie is already cast...

it's a mantle that gets passed

don't recast t'challa, just a new panther. probably shuri and m'baku

pass the mantle in the future. Cast a new T'challa the character and the impact aren't lessened by The loss of Chadwick. An off screen write off would feel like a huge disservice to the character, and quite frankly to the groundwork Boseman laid for the character.

If Black Panther 1 had been set after Endgame and had ended on a cliffhanger with Kilmonger having triumphed over T'Challa and seemingly killed him in their duel, that would've been a way for the character to exit and pass the mantle.

That fight could've really happened in any Black Panther film and not necessarily the first one. It's not like that was part of his origin story. That could easily have been Black Panther 2, with BP1 being about T'Challa fighting Klaw.

But since the character has barely been established on screen, I think they should recast and continue his story. It's T'Challa who has attracted audiences everywhere, not Shuri or someone else.

Yes. Let's remember this. Chadwick's real life death is unpleasant, and not everyone wants to see this situation replicated with a fictional character who gave people hope and inspiration.

For You. Other people are going to feel differently.

Chadwick passed away. That is going to be felt regardless of what they end up doing. Recasting T'Challa does not mean people are pretending loss didn't happen.
The Black Panther gave people hope. T'Challa is the one who carried that symbol of hope but he wasn't the first and he doesn't have to be the last. The reality is, Chadwick defined T'Challa for millions of people in the same way that Chris Reeves defined Superman. Any recast would see that actor living in the shadow of his legacy -- this is bigger than the character. IMO it's better to pass it to Shuri; a character audiences have already embraced. And have her dealing with the fallout as she becomes the next Black Panther

It feels so weird for me to even think about the BP role having to be recast to begin with. 24 hours ago , the thought never would have crossed my mind that Feige and Co would even have to cross that bridge.

I fully expected Boseman to be like an RDJ of the MCU going forward, and to make several BP films and appearances over this decade.

I never thought in a million years that Chadwick Boseman not being T'Challa would even be a possibility in the near future, let alone that he would pass away so young.

So at this point, its hard for me to wrap my mind around another character male or female being the Black Panther, let alone another actor playing T'Challa.

If Chadwick had lived and just decided to walk away from the part ,I think it would be easier for other actors to come to my mind, but my mind is clouded by the sadness of his passing to really come up with an answer.

Eventually Feige and Co will move forward with another person in the suit, but right now, its tough for me to see another actor as T'Challa.

The Black Panther gave people hope. T'Challa is the one who carried that symbol of hope but he wasn't the first and he doesn't have to be the last. The reality is, Chadwick defined T'Challa for millions of people in the same way that Chris Reeves defined Superman. Any recast would see that actor living in the shadow of his legacy -- this is bigger than the character. IMO it's better to pass it to Shuri; a character audiences have already embraced. And have her dealing with the fallout as she becomes the next Black Panther

MCU Shuri I don't think feels right as Black Panther. I think you would have to look at someone like Okoye.

But I think the recast approach is best. Regardless is if it new T'Challa or a new character, Boseman's shadow will loom over BPII. Killing him offscreen doesn't mean a Shuri or Okoye are not living in his shadow. They are too. From a sentiment POV, I get this idea, but I think Chadwick would have preferred T'Challa to live on past him and to continue to inspire. I think that is how you best honor his legacy. He lit the flame, keep it burning.

I'll just let MS handle it. I trust that whatever they decide they'll do right by the fans and Chadwicks legacy and we'll all cry when they honor him in the marvel studios logo in front of BP2 and I for one will wish well and give a chance to whoever gets hired to fill his shoes... Which will be very tough to fill.

But for now I'm not even going to think about it.

I'll just let MS handle it. I trust that whatever they decide they'll do right by the fans and Chadwicks legacy and we'll all cry when they honor him in the marvel studios logo in front of BP2 and I for one will wish well and give a chance to whoever gets hired to fill his shoes... Which will be very tough to fill.

But for now I'm not even going to think about it.

That's kind of how I feel. If they recast the role, great. If they decide to pass the mantle to another character, I'm fine with that as well. Whatever direction they go, I feel they will try to be as respectful as possible.

Having said that, the idea of Shuri as Black Panther is kind of intriguing.

A few people have mentioned Shuri (Letitia Wright) taking over the title. IMO she is a wonderful actress and has a bright future ahead of her, but don’t think she is “professionally” ready for such a huge role. Maybe after a trilogy of BP films she can take over. I still say careful consideration should be given to John David Washington or Aldis Hodge.

Letitia Wright as Shuri is delightful and a scene-stealer in BP, but I don't feel either Wright nor Shuri is appropriate to take up the mantle of Black Panther.

Just recast T'Challa. The character is bigger than any one actor, and I feel like the last thing Chadwick would have wanted was all that it meant to people being extinguished just because of his own death. I feel pretty confident he'd have wanted it to go on with or without him.

Yeah I think the idea of Shuri or Okoye being the new Black Panther is actually appealing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"