Should they recast T'Challa/Black Panther or make Shuri the new Panther?

Yeah it seems way too late rework the movie. And I'm not personally sold on Washington. He was okay in tenet, I didn't see anything in him that has wowed me yet.

I am in favor of a recast of at least T'challa in the future, and if they have to recast Shuri then so be it.

Last edited:
Not even considering a recast for T'Challa is absolutely dumb on their part. They seem to be under the belief that the remaining characters in BP are what made that film popular and can carry the franchise. They've forgotten how popular T'Challa is with the fans and are now going to completely forgo using any of his past comic storylines/connections that would have been good to see on film.

I think Marvel is playing the long game as they always do. There's no reason to rush into a recast because Boseman was so beloved and really the heart and soul of the franchise. No guarantee that a recast will work and its asking a lot from a new cast member to replace Boseman in the sequel. Whatever the long game is, I feel like Marvel will find a way to make it work. Recasting T'Challa is likely going to happen at some point but right now the focus is on Wakanda Forever and Coogler has earned my trust.

I’m a huge advocate of a recast with a multiversal T’Challa. Give it a few years but I want to see T’Challa with the Fantastic 4 or interacting with Storm. So many great possibilities that you lose with Shuri.

I understand Coogler not wanting to recast, but the character should return. He is far too important to the MCU. The character is immortal, has been played by many actors before Boseman and will be played by many actors after him.
Who?

After seeing No Way Home, I think this would be a great way to handle a variant coming to the main universe.

the post credits scene is essentially a trailer for Multiverse of madness, and one major character we see is the evil Dr. Strange from What if. I’m thinking that maybe the events of MOM could lead to the variant Killmonger escaping into another universe and getting the IGEW under his control and wreak havoc across the cosmos. Then the third BP film could have a variant of T’Challa coming into the main universe from space and it’ll be a well written adaptation of the IGEW. Not to mention when Killmonger is inevitably beaten at the end of the movie, T’Challa can become the emperor of the empire and stay on Earth Wakanda BUT Shuri will still be recognized as the ruler of Earth Wakanda. Basically he can be restored to a position of power in a way that won’t ruffle the feathers of people who want to see Shuri on the throne.
What's the IGEW? Infinity Gauntlet something?

Who?

Voicing a character in a cartoon counts as a portrayal.

Djimon Hounsou, Keith David, James C Mathis III, to name a few

He’s been played by many actors before Boseman and will be played by many after him

Who?

The intergalactic empire of Wakanda. A Black Panther storyline that deals with the multiverse and would serve as an excellent way to get a new T’Challa in the MCU in my eyes.

Yeah a multiverse variant T’Challa could be the answer to this issue. That way it clearly establishes that this T’Challa is different from the previous one. And since they’ve already done the thing with (some) multiverse variants being totally different people than the ones we are familiar with (Loki, NWH), it can work.

As for who should play him… I’m going to continue to throw out the name of a guy who probably has no chance but hey, no one knew who Simu Liu was before Shang-Chi. I really like Abubakar Salim for the role. He appeared in Raised By Wolves, and his voice work in Assassin’s Creed Origins made me think he could really capture the Wakandan accent (I actually thought he was Boseman when I first played the game).

Again, dude probably has no shot but Marvel sometimes takes chances on unknown actors.

Yeah a multiverse variant T’Challa could be the answer to this issue. That way it clearly establishes that this T’Challa is different from the previous one. And since they’ve already done the thing with (some) multiverse variants being totally different people than the ones we are familiar with (Loki, NWH), it can work.

As for who should play him… I’m going to continue to throw out the name of a guy who probably has no chance but hey, no one knew who Simu Liu was before Shang-Chi. I really like Abubakar Salim for the role. He appeared in Raised By Wolves, and his voice work in Assassin’s Creed Origins made me think he could really capture the Wakandan accent (I actually thought he was Boseman when I first played the game).

Again, dude probably has no shot but Marvel sometimes takes chances on unknown actors.

My choice would be Damson Idris. He meets the height requirements (6’0), He’s young (30), and cited Denzel Washington as his inspiration for acting. Plus he’s the star of the show Snowfall, which was created by the legendary John Singleton (RIP).

Other choices would be Trevante Rhodes, Sope Dirisu, Aldis Hodge, and Yahya Abdul Mateen II.

Plus there’s an unknown actor named Brandon G. Alexander. He’s expressed on social media that it would be an honor to play T’Challa.

63DA476B-FEAA-4F4F-81D8-AEEC958098C4.jpeg

My choice would be Damson Idris. He meets the height requirements (6’0), He’s young (30), and cited Denzel Washington as his inspiration for acting. Plus he’s the star of the show Snowfall, which was created by the legendary John Singleton (RIP).

Other choices would be Trevante Rhodes, Sope Dirisu, Aldis Hodge, and Yahya Abdul Mateen II.

Plus there’s an unknown actor named Brandon G. Alexander. He’s expressed on social media that it would be an honor to play T’Challa.

View attachment 52294

Not familiar with Damson Idris but I’ve heard good things about Snowfall. Rhodes, Mateen or Hodge would work, though the latter two playing DC characters might rule them out. I also kinda wish Marvel hadn’t cast Jonathan Majors as Kang since I think he’d be perfect for T’Challa, but oh well. He was great as proto-Kang and I’m sure he’ll be even better as the real deal when we see him again.

I still think variant T'Challa is a stupid idea.

The MCU role of T'challa should not be recast. The story of Black Panther should be allowed to move forward, to honor Chad Bosemen's legacy without recasting. Recasting would only keep the MCU story of Wakanda in an infinite loop that will go nowhere. When CW's Crisis killed-off Green Arrow online, chatter switched to issues concerning DC stories becoming too predictable. In contrast, Marvel has out-pace DC movies and shows through their high volume of characters in cinema because of their ability to tell a story that moves forward. Let the MCU movie about Black Panther Two be released to the public for judgement before throwing out the Marvel rule book about reboots and recasts. Lastly, lets all remember that Chad Bosemen wasn't the only person who died after contributing to the creation of Black Panther.

The MCU role of T'challa should not be recast. The story of Black Panther should be allowed to move forward, to honor Chad Bosemen's legacy without recasting. Recasting would only keep the MCU story of Wakanda in an infinite loop that will go nowhere. When CW's Crisis killed-off Green Arrow online, chatter switched to issues concerning DC stories becoming too predictable. In contrast, Marvel has out-pace DC movies and shows through their high volume of characters in cinema because of their ability to tell a story that moves forward. Let the MCU movie about Black Panther Two be released to the public for judgement before throwing out the Marvel rule book about reboots and recasts. Lastly, lets all remember that Chad Bosemen wasn't the only person who died after contributing to the creation of Black Panther.

I'm fairly certain Boseman didn't contribute to the creation of Black Panther. He may have played T'Challa, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't his idea to have him debut in Captain America: Civil War. Not to mention anyone else who died in relation to Black Panther's contribution didn't play the character. Black Panther, and this goes for any superhero, is bigger than the actor(s) who plays him.

Also, what does Crisis have to do with this?

EXCLUSIVE: Y'lan Noel Would Love To Be The Next Black Panther

“No one would want the pressure of playing T’Challa after Chadwick.” They told me. Well Y’lan Noel is up for the challenge. And the funny thing is 9/10 of the reactions I saw to this on social media were POSITIVE. Between this and Chadwick’s brother saying that Marvel needs to recast it’s becoming more and more obvious that Marvel jumped the gun on this.

EXCLUSIVE: Y'lan Noel Would Love To Be The Next Black Panther

“No one would want the pressure of playing T’Challa after Chadwick.” They told me. Well Y’lan Noel is up for the challenge. And the funny thing is 9/10 of the reactions I saw to this on social media were POSITIVE. Between this and Chadwick’s brother saying that Marvel needs to recast it’s becoming more and more obvious that Marvel jumped the gun on this.
look wise, he looks great.

I haven't followed this closely - is this movie a side story that maybe doesn't include T'challa and perhaps his legacy? That's a good way of saying he is still around int he universe.

Also, Black Panther can show up, it's just a stunt double in a suit all said and done.

I really hope T'Challa returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"