Age of Extinction Should they stop?

Spidey-Lad93

Civilian
Reaction score
I have only seen the first one but it wasnt that great and the ones after were worst so I wasn't interested in seeing them but this one is supposed to be awful a paper in The UK gave it 1/5 stars I grew up as a transformers fan but Michael Bay is useless and needs to stop making these films because they are ruining transformers as a whole

Last edited:
Problem is, as long as it is making money. Paramount Studios will do anything to milk in cash. Yes, I know, its sad.

Correction: Michael Bay needs to stop.

I'm tired of his vision for Transformers. I want someone else to take the reigns. You can keep Bay for action direction and pyrotechnics I guess, but I want the next one to at least have some shred of substance to it. Some logic behind it's actions, decent characterizations of both human and robot cast, and something that can be taken as a good moral/theme (aka no Bayisms).

Am I asking for an Oscar winner? Or something with as much heart put in it as Avengers? No, but I am asking for a slight upgrade. Transformers can be something more than a dumb popcorn flick, and it can probably make just as much money doing so, if not more so.

Definitely. They milked this series so bad.

Honestly, at this point I don't know how they can keep going. How many times can Megatron come back? How many forgotten armies of Transformers are there?

I realize no one cares about plot holes... or common sense, but I do think people will get tired of the same premise after four movies.

Funnily enough after the end of TF4 I am interested to see were this goes, it was the best and most open ended conclusion to any of the TF movies yet and sets up a lot of possibilities for the next movie.

I don't necessarily think they need to stop - because, let's face it, this many millions of box-office dollars in, they're not going to - but I DEFINITELY believe there needs to be a changing of the guard. About the only principal production team members I would hang on to are the concept artists and FX people.

I don't get this.

I didn't like TF4 but just because I didn't like it doesn't mean I want it to stop as others enjoy these movies.

I think they should stop if they can't take the franchise in any interesting directions, and they're not. It's more of the same in every movie.

One thing I have to say though is they always manage to make so much money no matter how bad they are. It's insane.

I think they should stop if they can't take the franchise in any interesting directions, and they're not. It's more of the same in every movie.

Yeah, I don't think that any of those "possibilities" that TF4 leaves open are really going to amount to all that much in the hands of Bay and Krueger. World-building doesn't mean crap unless you're actually willing to take the time to explore it...as opposed to blowing it up real good.

One thing I have to say though is they always manage to make so much money no matter how bad they are. It's insane.

Nah, it's not insane...it's just a logical development of the culture in general. We've turned the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo into TV stars; that Michael Bay's Transformers movies would be huge box-office blockbusters in spite of being completely full of crap actually shouldn't come as all that big a shock.

Nope, I enjoy them, they are fun.

They also make tons of money, so until that stops, they won't stop.

Paramount is pretty desperate for successful franchises.

They're not going to cancel a billion dollar franchise to appease critics.

They are also extremely grateful to Bay for making them so much money. The only way he doesn't do TF5 is if he quits. And Bay is too greedy to resist the money trucks the studio keeps backing up to his house.

The notion that the movies are "ruining Transformers as a whole" is what puzzles me here. I think we, as Transformers fans, owe a lot to those movies. They not only brought in piles of money, they also introduced Transformers to a new generation of people. Now, let's be honest here: the Unicron Trilogy cartoons were garbage. They had cool toylines and a great video game, but they did little in the sense of multimedia to attract new fans. Then come the movies. Those movies, you see, they're the reason we have all the stuff we have today. If it weren't for them, the franchise wouldn't be on the level it is now. Animated? Probably wouldn't last a season. War For Cybertron? Would have a much smaller scope. The precious Classics/Generations lines? Nope. And the Prime cartoon? Wouldn't even exist.

Michael Bay is not a good director in the traditional artistic sense. But he's good at what he does, which is making entertaining, action-packed films, and he has made himself and many others very rich with that work. Now let's be honest: with the exception of ROTF, were the TF movies so bad in terms of being a fun action movie? They had decent scripts (again, except ROTF), good action scenes, and in general, worked really well as popcorn flicks. And while it's fair to criticize any aspect of them - I'd be the first to do so - we shouldn't expect much more than that.

Love them or hate them, the movies do bring a massive benefit to the Transformers brand as a whole. Independently of their quality, they'll keep bringing in new fans, increasing toy sales and allowing the existence of better TF media all around.

Batman Forever was popular, made money and sold alot of toys but you wouldn't say Batman fans are indebted to Schumacher, would you?

Bay is dragging Transformers through the mud. Just because millions are willing to pay to see them get dragged through the mud doesn't mean TF fans should be grateful.

Last edited:
They SHOULD stop...but the money that T:AoE brought in will guarantee another round for Bay and co.

This is definitely a "two sides of the coin" debate for me. On one hand, being a lifelong transformers fan, Bay's movies flat out stink. However, like another poster has stated,this current run has exposed a new generation to TF. The truth is Bay's run is very successful. We need that if we ever want to see it done right.

Me, personally, I'm done. I've watched the movies since their inception. After the second one, I begrudgingly knew I was watching each subsequent movie out of a loyalty to my movie-going kins, who've managed to enjoy what I cannot. I cannot say the movie have been completely joyless to me, but were I to choose between seeing it in theaters and catching it on TV, I would take the TV route.

Now, however, after going to see the fourth installment with my friends, I can no longer appease them. They know I didn't like it, and they know I'm not going to watch anymore movies.

I'm done. It didn't appeal to me at all in any way, shape, or fashion. I'm done. I'm glad other people still like it, and that they experienced happiness, but I'm not one of them anymore.

I'm frickin' done.

I understand but it seems every Transformers movie is getting worst
Nope, just more of the same. Most of the actual Bay and Bayformer fans on this board prefer this one to the other sequels.

This whole Bay needs to stop stuff is beyond played out. It aint going anywhere till Unicron shows up for the end game. Time to accept.
Bay is dragging Transformers through the mud. Just because millions are willing to pay to see them get dragged through the mud doesn't mean TF fans should be grateful.

He really isn't dragging anything, he's just pissing off critics and some of the Transformer fans and fanboys (who still pay for his films). None of these films were ever rated high and even the first one got a ton of **** from fans. The animated movie itself got wrecked back in the day and people were saying the same exact thing till us 80s/90s kids grew up. Modern Kids are gonna be obsessed with this thing in 15 years.
Batman Forever was popular, made money and sold alot of toys but you wouldn't say Batman fans are indebted to Schumacher, would you?

Because of Burtons Batman and Jim Carreys popularity. Look at what happened when Batman and Robin came out. This is not the same situation with audiences. Revenge Of The Fallen would have been the end game. How many franchises have grossed 1 billion on their 4th outing with the same Director?

Last edited:
4 movies now that are exaclty the same formula and dont offer anything more then an execuse to introduce more "toys" and a big set piece at the end.

I say hand it over to a new director but we know that wont happen and bay will come back yet again because his ego is too big to walk away and do a new project. I like bay as a director when he is constantly trying new movies but he has done transformers and 1 side film since 2007. that is alittle too long for one franchise.

For me, Bay needs to carry on because this is his baby, has been for a while now.

If/When another director comes in I want them to be able to start fresh rather than carrying on what Bay has set-up. So for me a new director comes for the inevitable re-boot at some point.

Bay should be able to finish what he started so let him do TF5 and 6 and then thats him done, I cant see him doing anymore after that. I enjoy the movie for what they are personally, but it would be unfair to get another director in now ask him to appease the fanbase.

He really isn't dragging anything, he's just pissing off critics and some of the Transformer fans and fanboys (who still pay for his films). None of these films were ever rated high and even the first one got a ton of **** from fans. The animated movie itself got wrecked back in the day and people were saying the same exact thing till us 80s/90s kids grew up. Modern Kids are gonna be obsessed with this thing in 15 years.

No, when your movies become the prime example of everything wrong with blockbuster entertainment then these characters are being dragged through the mud.

No way, Bayformers stays relevent for 30 years. Sorry but the characters look like crumpled up foil and the movies are not iconic in any way. The only reason we're discussing Bayformers is because they just pooped out another movie.

Because of Burtons Batman and Jim Carreys popularity. Look at what happened when Batman and Robin came out. This is not the same situation with audiences. Revenge Of The Fallen would have been the end game. How many franchises have grossed 1 billion on their 4th outing with the same Director?

My point is a crappy adaptation can be popular.

China saved TF4. Without China (a huge market that barely existef during Batman and Robin's release) TF4 would've dropped in box office massively from TF3. In fact it did drop massively in the U.S..

for me the franchise ended after dark of the moon and anything after with bay at the helm is just whatever you wanna call it. this movie just underminded so much of what came before it that it took me out of the experience entriely. why would optimus want to kill humans and go against his code and why would the humans want to all the sudden kill autobots. Autobots saved earth 3 times on a massive scale and they tried to go this route story wise? Bay tried to have his cake and eat it too by referencing the 3rd one but no mention of nest or even shia who bumblebee was responsible for? I know they approached this as a reboot of sorts but lets be real here and call it what it is. If Optimus had really gone into hiding and the autobots hid as well then how did nest stand by and let this happen or sam even keep quiet? wouldnt the planet itself of people have something to say about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"