Should your job control how you live...if you are an investment.

I don't see how they could enforce it unless part of the agreement for employment requires some kind of medical testing in order to ensure compliance.

At the end of the day, companies can make whatever policies and restrictions they want. If people are unwilling to conform to those policies and restrictions, no one's holding a gun to their heads and making them work there.

I think it's pretty easy to enforce and monitor it. If you go out once or twice an hour to smoke, it's pretty easy to know what's happening. I actually like that policy, non-smokers don't get a 5 minutes break once or twice an hour, why should smokers?

As for controlling how you live outside of work, in most cases no, as long as it doesn't affect your ability to do your job. There's always exceptions to the rule, lick doctors on call shouldn't be drinking and doing drugs.

Absolutely not. My company is just as privileged to have me working for them as I am to be working for them. It's a symbiotic relationship. They do not own or control me or what I do with my personal life. As long as I deliver results in my working life, the rest of my life is none of their damn business.

jag
Agreed

As long as my personal life does not affect my professional life, my company has no say on what I do. However, it can impede on it in many different ways.

Money is the most obvious one, time is another.

Drug use is most often not tolerated because it most often decreases productivity but I can tell you that many traders on dealing floors in major banks (Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs) take drugs during parties. I have been to a few and I have seen hills of cocaine in bathrooms.

I like to go to extremes, as probable Jag can attest to:

If your employers start to dictate if you can smoke at home, what is next? What you can eat, since most places share Group insurance, then what? How you spend your money? Can they dictate how you invest your money?

If your employers start to dictate if you can smoke at home, what is next?

A company may not dictate this but they may have physicals which the smoking could adversely affect.

What you can eat, since most places share Group insurance, then what?

Again I refer back to the physicals.

How you spend your money? Can they dictate how you invest your money?

In the world of finance and notably in mergers and acquisitions we are requirred to disclose all equity transactions we make. Plus we are forbidden certain stocks. This is all reasonable given the information we have access to. PLus companies will heavily incentivise top executives to invest in the company they manage.

In the world of finance and notably in mergers and acquisitions we are requirred to disclose all equity transactions we make. Plus we are forbidden certain stocks. This is all reasonable given the information we have access to. PLus companies will heavily incentivise top executives to invest in the company they manage.

We have "quiet periods" with our stock, where we as employees are not allowed to trade out company's stock because doing so could possibly be viewed as insider trading. This usually happens around earnings/revenue announcements.

jag

^^ It all makes sense. I am just inferring that as much as we want to believe that our profesional lives and personal lives are kept seperate, they tend to be hopelessly intertwinned given one can often affect the other.

^^ It all makes sense. I am just inferring that as much as we want to believe that our profesional lives and personal lives are kept seperate, they tend to be hopelessly intertwinned given one can often affect the other.

I'm not so sure about that. There are certain things about our personal lives that have connections to our working lives, but they only get hopelessly intertwined if you allow them to be so. My private life is very, very separate from my working life and I like it that way.

jag

So here is the question...you are very high in a company paying you big bucks, should that company control your life out side of work? No drinking, drugs, late night parties that could lead to trouble?
Yes, the company owns you and you are there marketing tool, If you want to work for them, you have to abide by their rules.

If they own a children's tv station, they don't want you caught using drugs because it'll hurt their image

if you are a racing car driver, they don't want you drinking the night before because it'll hurt your performance during the rae and possibly kill you.

If you are a sports star, they don't want you out late all the time because they paid millions for you and you aren't delivering the goods.

If you are a singer, they don't want you partying all night long because it'll hurt your voice (during live concert season).

There are plenty of jobs where you can generally get away with being mediocre but then not many of these jobs pay the real high bucks. If you want the serious high bucks, you have go come in early, go home late and earn every single penny.

I'm not so sure about that. There are certain things about our personal lives that have connections to our working lives, but they only get hopelessly intertwined if you allow them to be so. My private life is very, very separate from my working life and I like it that way.

jag

I mean it in the sense the money you make professionaly will be spent privately. Also vacation time is going to be determinned by the work you do.

Certain jobs already do control your lifestyle, should you choose to accept them.

For example: Professional athletes can't take drugs. A woman who hires out her womb can't smoke or drink. And so forth.

Yes, in some cases your employer can insist that you maintain a certain lifestyle. They will do tests to ensure that you are maintaining that lifestyle.

Models and Ballerinas have to watch what they eat (too much weight gain is not permitted).

Certain jobs already do control your lifestyle, should you choose to accept them.

For example: Professional athletes can't take drugs.

Haha! Tell that to the Dallas Cowboys, among many, many others. :o

jag

I like to go to extremes, as probable Jag can attest to:

If your employers start to dictate if you can smoke at home, what is next? What you can eat, since most places share Group insurance, then what? How you spend your money? Can they dictate how you invest your money?

Car companies offer incentives to their employees to encourage them to buy cars made by the company. I'm not sure what they do to the employees who buy cars made by other companies.

Car companies offer incentives to their employees to encourage them to buy cars made by the company. I'm not sure what they do to the employees who buy cars made by other companies.
They may offer incentives or discounts, they don't fire them for not purchasing those vechiles though.

Haha! Tell that to the Dallas Cowboys, among many, many others. :o

jag

Okay, okay, true some do. However they usually have to pay a severe penalty if they get caught and may even lose their jobs for doing so.

Everything I hear being brought up as examples are things that are agreed to upon employment, though, and really aren't all that intrusive on someone's life all in all. If I'm a ballerina, it's in my best interests to be light and in excellent shape so that I can excel in my performance and therefore get hired for more productions and climb the ladder in my profession. Models are also equally incented to look their best (though drug and alcohol abuse and horribly unhealthy dieting practices are rampant in that industry) if they want to continue getting jobs. Sports stars need to operate at peak performance in order to be successful and keep working. But the amount of control that their employers exert over their personal lives to ensure they're doing what "the company" wants them to do only really happens in extreme situations and, guess what...they signed up for it when they took the job.

jag

it all comes down to whats more important to you, partying with friends or making that dough.

No, the job should not control how one lives. A person should be mature enough to control how they live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"