Siege

2000$ a script? That's 2000 a month. For writing ~20 pages of script/dialog. Considering how short or easy a lot of the stories are to write (bad thing A happens, good guys stumped, bad guy A comes out and goes gwafufufu im evil! good guy finds way to fix problem and subdue badguy), you'd think that 2,000$ a book would be a ****load.

It's not like these guys are working 40 hours a week for an entire month just to finish the script for one issue. ****, I should start mailing all sorts of crazy ****ed up plots and scripts into Marvel/DC and hope they go "damn this just has something here" and get the paychecks a coming.

$2,000 a month is fine, so long as your expenses aren't too high. I'm used to living in an expensive area where $1,000 will get you a studio apartment, so $1,000-$2,000 will barely get you by with a family.

All that aside, one of the biggest problems you'd probably face with Marvel is getting the chance to write more than one comic. Between Bendis, Fraction, and Brubaker, you'd have a hard time finding an open writing job at that company. And they only take submissions from previously published writers.

I've been published plenty of times. Local newspapers, state newpapers, articles on various marching bands around the state...

And I'm in Humb County. Hardly a "cheap" place to live, making barely a grand a month and I do fine.

$1,000 was a rough estimate. I remember some time ago, someone mentioned making less than $2,000 for every script they turned in to Marvel. It wouldn't surprise me if dudes like Bendis made a lot more per script, but I always think back on that as an example of most comic writers earning around minimum wage if they only write one book. I mean, there's gotta be a good reason why Gail Simone continued doing hair back when she was just writing Deadpool.

I think Joe Quesada himself said that higher profile writers get paid a lot more than the lower tier ones. When asked about the $3.99 price point on certain titles like Bendis' Avengers, Quesada listed paying the talent as one of the reasons. And I think it's obvious that Marvel would pay Brian Michael Bendis, Ed Brubaker, Jeph Loeb, and Matt Fraction more than Dan Slott, Kieron Gillen, PAD, and Christos Gage. Although, Geoff Johns probably makes more than all of them and all of his titles are $2.99, probably nips a bud in Quesada's excuses.

Also, exclusive writers are employees of Marvel and receive benefits like health insurance and I wouldn't be surprised if they got salary as well.

I've been published plenty of times. Local newspapers, state newpapers, articles on various marching bands around the state...

And I'm in Humb County. Hardly a "cheap" place to live, making barely a grand a month and I do fine.

Either the cost of living is very low or you live with the rents. Here in Chicago most people can barely get by with 2K a month.

I rent a house with 4 other people, total bills are around 3k a month.

And I wouldn't call northern cali a very low cost of living, either.

Man Geoff is probably living good right now. He writes like 4 books for DC, plus he's an executive, PLUS he's heavily involved with DC tv and movie projects. I dont think even Bendis is at that level with Marvel. You'd think by now they'd promote him or something.

Robert Kirkman is another example. That guy is literally living a comic book writer's dream. He's got two HOT titles: Walking Dead and Invincible, he's an Image partner and Walking Dead is about to be made a tv show which im sure he'll get tons of royalties. AND the best part? Kirkman's books are creator owned. See Bendis and Geoff may be hot writers but they're writing books containing characters and creations that aren't their own. Kirkman must get massive royalties because he creates original concepts that sell and get pitched. If i ever make it in the biz, i would aspire to be more like Kirkman rather than Bendis or Johns.

And I think it's obvious that Marvel would pay Brian Michael Bendis, Ed Brubaker, Jeph Loeb, and Matt Fraction more than Dan Slott, Kieron Gillen, PAD, and Christos Gage.
Well, maybe not Jeph Loeb. Loeb seems to have become some kind of supervillain who hates comics and wants them to die--so he murders any comics he encounters. Basically, Marvel is paying him to ruin their books.

If you take a look, the $3.99 price point is going onto books that are #1 issues (which makes no sense IMO) and books that no one will buy (Mighty Crusaders, WildStorm, etc.) and therefore you have to have a higher price in order to make a profit.

The only one that is an oddity is Time Masters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"