Simple Avengers Question

Toxin

Sidekick
Reaction score
Hey SHH!

Here's a question that always bothered me since I got into comics:

Who or what are the Avengers avenge-ing?

Hope this isn't too stupid a question!

Heh, its just simply a name man. The Wasp came up with it in the first avengers issue where they banded together. It sounded dynamic so they stuck with it.

Hey SHH!

Here's a question that always bothered me since I got into comics:

Who or what are the Avengers avenge-ing?

Hope this isn't too stupid a question!

The amazing thing is a few months ago out of idle boredom I made a sprite comic lampooning this very question:

Avengers1.jpg

When using sprites, don't save as a jpg.

Ruins the image quality and that can't be undone.

Gif's never looked great to me, and bmp images are too large. Thanks for the tip, though.

I'm not sure, but with gif you're always guaranteed to keep it the way it is. You could take the sprites from my gif and edit away. The jpeg, not so much.

Hmm, I guess it is just a swanky name. :-D I guess some editor could just claim that they're "avenging" the death of peace or justice.

The real reason is gonna come out officially at the end of "Secret Invasion".

They're avenging Tupac.

Right now, the New Avengers could be avenging the dead and imprisoned heroes after CW.

This question has actually been brought up in-continuity at points. It might have been said in Avengers Forever.

Of course, the same point can also be said about the British TV Show.

The Avengers' long-standing no-kill policy (up until the New Avengers hired Wolverine as their official assassin, anyway) makes it even more suspect in their case, though. "Avenging" applies vengeance, which is usually harsher than justice and involves killing far more often. Yet Captain America dressed Iron Man and his squad down for killing the Supreme Intelligence during an actual war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"