Simple Test Dummy: Sans Routh, which suit is "stronger"?

Discussion in 'Superman Returns' started by Spare-Flair, May 11, 2006.

1. Spare-Flair Registered

*improved the second one*

[​IMG]

I came across this idea seeing the picture of the Singer Suit on a mannequin. To be honest, it looked pretty good without Routh wearing it, but I decided to whip up a quick photoshop. I'm not making any judgements here, what do you guys think? Which looks "stronger"? The high neckline and small "S" makes Superman look taller and I think that's why Routh may look a bit lankey to people. The lower neckline and large S make him shorter, but bulkier but I think that's more of the desirable look because it emphasizes the delta shape.

[​IMG]

Or we could have the small shield and just the cape and neckline/cape attachment.

2. skruloos Registered

The same things strike me as when I first saw the live action costume of Reeve, the assorted Superboys, and Cain. The neckline that wide makes me think of a ballet leotard. And the S, well, I've never been a big fan of an S. I don't actually think it makes him look any stronger. I actually think the size of his chest is made to look smaller because there is so much symbol there. A smaller chest seems to sit in a mass of blue which makes it seem like his overall chest is bigger to me.

3. Superman4ever Registered

First one looks better! :o I don't like the lowered neckline or that huge emblem...

4. explode7 Registered

Dude no offense but that looks like crap, the one on the right.

5. MatchesMalone Registered

One looks like a photoshop, one looks designed and well-made.

6. Spare-Flair Registered

sigh, of course it's a photoshop. Let's see you do better in 5 minutes? I didn't ask "which one looks more professional". To be honest, I like the small "S" better as well but would prefer the neckline and cape attachment to be more traditional.

7. SuperDaniel Registered

This pics shows that the neckline should be lowered just a little. Not that much. Something in between both pics would be perfect!

8. gdw Registered

I don't care for the maniped larger \S/'s, although i could go for a tad larger, but the nckline is a BIG problem for me. I can not STAND the tight one Singer wanted.

A litle tighter then normal is fine, but that tight really looks weak. It looks childish, simply not as broad like a hero should look.

Just NOT AT ALL reagal like they claimed. They were full of $hit with that claim.

It only looks regal when it's wider and the cape can actually flow off his shoulders.

God I hope he realises that he was being stupid with that choice come the sequels.

9. Nightwing1977 Want to see my mask??

Seeing the pics, I prefer the real one that we got. I don't like how the neckline was too open on the manip. Like skruloos said, it kinda give it that ballerina look. But I don't mind the neckline lowered. Just not open like Reeve. And the "S" look fine so far to me. Not big, but not small either. Just right. :)

10. gdw Registered

The tight neckline is like when someone wears a bowtie, there is just nothing strong about it.

It has the exact same feel, tight against the nick, brings conotations of being costricted, thin, just like a bowtie around someone's neck, which is why they gave that look to Jimmy, NOT Superman.

WTF was Singer thinking?

11. SuperDaniel Registered

And a more open neckline looks visually better. WTF were they thinking? Its obvious.

12. Kane Guest

I think the best is a compromise of the two.

I think the tight neckline will look good in the film. The loose photoshoped neckline done there is way too wide. It looks way too feminine. It wouldnt look right on Brandon.

The bigger shield (if it was part of the spandex suit) would have worked....but since the shield is a seperate armor, the smaller version is better. It would have constained his movements and looked like a billboard.

13. Whack Arnolds Registered

The one on the left... x 10.

14. The Kid AMERICA FTW

I prefer the comic version.

15. <borkis> C.H.U.D.

As a costume, I prefer the one on the right. Though the size of the shield should probably be halfway between the two.

On Routh however, the first one definitely would look better. The reason? His neck isn't thick enough to pull off the second costume. Whenever you see someone with a thin neck and a wide collar, it just accentuates their neck (not in a good way!)... you don't notice as much with a tighter neckline. Reeve had a neck like a tree-trunk... he would look much better in the second costume.

16. Spare-Flair Registered

Okay, I've improved the cape attachments on the second one and closed the collar a bit, but yes, I would prefer a small "S" but I can't get over the neckline, it keeps bugging me how tight it is.

17. CGHulk Registered

I like the third image, my only complaint with the suit has always been about the high neckline!

18. <borkis> C.H.U.D.

The altered neck line with the small shield looks great! Well done.

19. thedarks0ldier Registered

hey, the right one seems awesome.

i dont see how that photoshop looks bad at all, did i miss an earlier version?

20. SuperDaniel Registered

Now that looks perfect! :up: Good job. Hopefully it will look like this in the sequel.

21. Mentok Registered

The one on he right is too 'top heavy' :down

22. Bad Superman World's Grimmest Hero

The one on the right, since it's closer to the comics design.

23. Captain Villa Registered

I'm beyond caring now.

Let's just watch the movie in July.

24. batman44 Go Speed GO

I like the bottom one best.

25. buggs0268 Registered

The one on the right. Definately. That says Superman more. But the belt needs to be reworked and the low cut manties still need to be lifted. don't flame me. The guy asked.