Superman Returns Simple Test Dummy: Sans Routh, which suit is "stronger"?

as much as i dont like the cape attachment i think he chose it becase after the manips i've seen with the lower neckline of routh it just does not fit him, and he doesn't have the neck for it

But he does have the neck for it. If you take a picture of Routh NOT wearing the suit, and make a manip with his neck from there, you'll see how it works.

The reason you can't do it with the suit on him is because the collar changes the way his neck looks and the wayit goes into his traps.

You also do not see where his traps actually are because of where the cape is.

His neck is thicker the Reeves and Alyn, and I think even Cain, and they all worked well with the traditional Superman look.

That's one of the other things about this, Singer seems to maintain that the suit has changed a LOT, and more or less every element of "his" design has been featured with Superman somewhere, EXCEPT the neck line and cape like it is.

It has NEVER been depicted like this. NO cape on a hero figure has EVER been done like this, and clearly for a reason.

gdw said:
They were going the right way with the cape in the initial design. Sure it was bad for Superman, but it gave that impresive regal look to the cape: And this still had the tighter collar, but the cape was not in it so it didn't choke off the cape.

normal_14%7E0.jpg

normal_24.jpg

Yeah. This design was still wrong, but wrong for different reasons. I think I (just barely) prefer the look we got, because this look is somewhat ugly... but it does drape over the shoulders in a more pleasing manner.

Here's what that suit looked like in real life. It's not right, and God knows what they were thinking to think this looked good either, but align those straight pleats with a horizontal collar and you'd have something.

routhman2.jpg
routhman.jpg

It's like they said "hey, we tried changing it from the traditional look and it looks silly. I'm not sure why, so let's just change it to something else that's different from the traditional look and see if it looks any better." It seems the only thing they didn't try was the traditional look, because for some arbitrary reason they ruled it out right off the bat.

capefix.jpg

lujho said:
Yeah. This design was still wrong, but wrong for different reasons. I think I (just barely) prefer the look we got, because this look is somewhat ugly... but it does drape over the shoulders in a more pleasing manner.

Here's what that suit looked like in real life. It's not right, and God knows what they were thinking to think this looked good either, but align those straight pleats with a horizontal collar and you'd have something.

routhman2.jpg
routhman.jpg

It's like they said "hey, we tried changing it from the traditional look and it looks silly. I'm not sure why, so let's just change it to something else that's different from the traditional look and see if it looks any better." It seems the only thing they didn't try was the traditional look, because for some arbitrary reason they ruled it out right off the bat.

capefix.jpg

Yeah, i'm glad they didn't go with that either, but yes it did have the idea there.

And that manip you have makes me so sad, it's like an inch difference and it looks so damn perfect AND it would have given Singer his dumb tighter collar.

Basically, yeah, THAT is a CAPE!

great manip luhjo.. THAT is exactly what i was thinking. You have the higher tighter opening, but its still open and has the straight across neckline and it attaches the cape in a manner that's traditional. great job and it illustrates just how the superman costume could have been made to look more accurate that what we were given :up:

The way luhjo has manipped it makes it look like the cape is integrated into the costume rather than just an afterthought as in the Singer costume.

Of course, you know who has a cape that sits very close to how Superman's should be?

Christian Bale's Batman. It's attached diffently (the "clasps"), but the overall shape is Far closer to Superman's traditional cape that Routh's, by far. I especially love how it's loose at the back.

maybe Lindy Hemming should have designed the Super-Cape?

http://www.batmanunmasked.com/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=236
http://www.batmanunmasked.com/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=48
http://www.batmanunmasked.com/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=64

So, anyone got a collection of cape pics yet? Come on now, just show me ONE single person wearing a cape like the SR suit that looks good.

Anyone? Please?

So, anyone got a collection of cape pics yet? Come on now, just show me ONE single person wearing a cape like the SR suit that looks good.

Anyone? Please?

What was that? My post multiplied like five times there for a second.

Well, here we go:

Heroic
Kniteowl.jpg

Heroic
superhero-smcopy.jpg

Heroic
180px-Superman14.jpg

Heroic/impressive
180px-Superman14.jpg

Heroic
female-superhero.jpg

Heroic
superhero.gif

Heroic
superhero.jpg

Heroic
superhero-sentinel.jpg

Heroic
cs-superhero-s.jpg

Heroic
superman-743280.jpg

Heroic
Omniman.jpg

NOT heroic
greatest-american-hero.jpg

It just creates thatheroic broad shoulders thing. Like they can actually bare something.

Spare-Flair said:
*improved the second one*

sansrouth6rd.jpg

I came across this idea seeing the picture of the Singer Suit on a mannequin. To be honest, it looked pretty good without Routh wearing it, but I decided to whip up a quick photoshop. I'm not making any judgements here, what do you guys think? Which looks "stronger"? The high neckline and small "S" makes Superman look taller and I think that's why Routh may look a bit lankey to people. The lower neckline and large S make him shorter, but bulkier but I think that's more of the desirable look because it emphasizes the delta shape.

good observations. they should use the 2nd photo there as the version of the suit for the sequel.

general consensus from fans and non-fans i've gotten to speak with is that they find this suit rather "odd".

At least we get some of the cape draping over in this picture
supermancloser6ss.jpg

It reminds me of being a kid and tucking a red towel into my t-shirt to play Superman...

i still say the symbol on the belt should be gone... it draws too much attention the genital area of Superman, and that's the last place you wanna look on that suit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"