Simu Liu IS Shang-Chi

Should Simu Liu do that growl or high-pitched scream like Bruce Lee? Or should he not imitate that? I don't think any other martial artist does that, so it was unique to Bruce, but then Shang Chi is pretty much like Bruce Lee.

I’m mixed on Cloning powers for Shangchi as I can see the Pluses and Minuses of it.

That being said it looks cool in this video below

I don't think it looked that cool, because he took them all out with one shot. I find it much better if he beats each one of them single handedly and shows off his skill that way.

That's why even with Daredevil in the Netflix series it looked cool when DD was up against all these thugs in the hallway fight and holding his own against them. He was overcoming them all despite the odds. That's what I want Shang Chi to do.

What he did that video above is almost like what Iron Man might do and send a wide burst repulsor blast to knock everyone out in one fell swoop. It's fine for Iron Man, but not something I want to see for Shang Chi.

Bruce was a quarter white. When compared to full Chinese, you can definitely see some differences. But anyways, like everywhere else in the world China has their beauty standards and a lot of them are adamant about it being portrayed the way they want. Especially when we're talking about a big budget MCU movie.

I don't mean to sound like I'm defending them, but I saw this coming when Simu was introduced because even Asian Americans have a similar complaint. For decades we've seen Asians with certain facial features get roles more often than those that don't have them. It probably has nothing to do with their looks, but boy does it not help when the few Asian faces in movies/TV have always slanted eyes and continues the trend of every non Asian thinking we all do.

I don't think they want a girly model, just someone that fits their ideal attractive Asian/Chinese male. They shouldn't feel that way though and it is screwed up to complain about it and not be more supportive of Simu. He looks good and will do a great job. I just wanted to throw in some perspective.

Last edited:
I was supporting your point with visual evidence from the comics. It was for those who don't well know this already. I'm not certain where your confusion is coming from.

My apologies. These threads have been pretty frustrating for me, and I sometimes mistake a reasonable response for one of the many that are not.

Do you think Simu Liu will play Shang Chi in a more jovial and humorous way, similar to Jackie Chan? Or will he be dark and brooding with an intensity and underlying rage like Bruce Lee often had? Will a Bruce Lee portrayal fit with the general tone of the MCU or will it be too dark?

Would it even serve Asian Americans well if Simu Liu played it like Bruce Lee? Would people think that Asians are also brooding and dark and can't be fun and laid back leading men like RDJ, Chris Pratt, Chris Hemsworth etc?

Is it better if Shang Chi has a personality more similar to theirs than something more serious?

Do you think Simu Liu will play Shang Chi in a more jovial and humorous way, similar to Jackie Chan? Or will he be dark and brooding with an intensity and underlying rage like Bruce Lee often had? Will a Bruce Lee portrayal fit with the general tone of the MCU or will it be too dark?

Would it even serve Asian Americans well if Simu Liu played it like Bruce Lee? Would people think that Asians are also brooding and dark and can't be fun and laid back leading men like RDJ, Chris Pratt, Chris Hemsworth etc?

Is it better if Shang Chi has a personality more similar to theirs than something more serious?
I'm thinking a middle ground.I don't want him to be a Quip Master like Stark or Quill.And I don't want him to be broody like Panther.

A Middle ground will be something like Donnie Yen's portrayal of IP Man.Charming,humble Charismatic but with an Inner Regality and thoughfulness

I think Simu is hot. He’s the new jock type now captain America is gone haha

I hope they have him as a mixture of Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee in the sense of being both comedic but also brooding but his fighting style resembles both

I first saw Mr. Chi in Marvel Two in One, in which he flipped the frikkin' Thing. That's not the ability of a peak human.

6a00d8341c4e3753ef0133f51a34af970b-450wi

6a00d8341c4e3753ef0134883a39a2970c-450wi
Great scalp to have. :cool:

I’m mixed on Cloning powers for Shangchi as I can see the Pluses and Minuses of it.

That being said it looks cool in this video below

I'd like to see it. As long as they don't overuse it I think it can add to the films.

I liked Crazy Rich Asians because it was basically the first American movie where everyone else could see us like they see themselves. There were tall ones, short ones, mean ones, nice ones, and so on.

Unfortunately we've seen ourselves portrayed too much in certain ways, even physically. I'm not tall but Simu is, and he's also a pretty funny and charismatic guy. I hope they let him bring that part of him to the Shang Chi character. I don't want him to be as jokey as Star Lord and new Thor, but let him be funny and charming. I definitely don't want him to be super serious or stoic either which we've seen far too often in American media.

Last edited:
I think he needs to talk a lot more than the average martial artist. In Hollywood films, because it has often been the case that someone like Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung or Jet Li can't speak English that well, they've tended to be not as talkative, although Jackie Chan probably speaks the most out of them.

They speak a lot more in Hong Kong cinema where they can speak in their native tongue, but when it comes to films like Rush Hour or Shanghai Noon, it's always the other guy (whether black or white) who does all the talking, while the martial artist speaks with his fists.

To break that stereotype, I think Simu Liu will have to be a different kind of martial artist - one who speaks a lot in English and doesn't have to be upstaged in the dialogue area by someone else.

What does that mean?

I'm not fluent in Mandarin/written Chinese, particularly idiomatic sayings, so I just had Black Panther shout out "ANUS!" during a battle. I'm a regular Ta-Nehisi Coates, I am.

I'm not fluent in Mandarin/written Chinese, particularly idiomatic sayings, so I just had Black Panther shout out "ANUS!" during a battle. I'm a regular Ta-Nehisi Coates, I am.

Someone needs to shout Uranus in Guardians of the Galaxy 3 as they fly around out solar system!

Simu appeared on a show recently to explain how important this role is to him and the people his represents. You know who you are :D

At first I was going to link Simu's own tweet. But I didn't because he spoiled the joke in his tweet

Last edited:

Rings = anus. As in “gosh that curry I had last night was so strong I had the most severe ring sting not long after”

Anyway that’s a nice thought for everyone to think about when you’re buying your tickets lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"