Sequels Singer Approached For X4?

Although I was initially against this at first, but I think a reboot isn't too farfetched. If Batman and James Bond can do it, why not X-Men?

X-Maniac said:
Singer would at least deliver continuity with what he did before. And he'd do a good Wolverine movie, probably.

But I say give it to Peter Jackson (total restart, epic trilogy) or Wachowskis (X4 with Sentinels/Genosha).

Peter Jacksons best work came with movies made for under a million dollars (Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles, and Dead Alive) then the frightners was a nice movie, but with all the respect i have for directors that are basically controlling an army or mayor of a city (big Gore Verbinski fan) those LOTR movies are about as slow as they come, and King Kong could cut about 45 minutes out of the opening prelude to skull island and it could only make it better

Jackson is good, but the price tag will be high, and i don't think he is worth what you could get for paying less
the wachowskis would work i would think but with speed racer your looking at a 2008 minimum start date on xmen

I honestly think you've got to feel it out first, and find some directors who are xmen enthusiests or wish to be and bring them in first, but i think they're are very very talented action directors out there who are just waiting to bust loose like a Raimi or Nolan

some choices i like, Joe Carnahan (Narc, Smokin Aces), Paul Mcgungin (Lucky Number Slevin, Gangster no 1) Alfonso Cuaron (Y U mama tambian, Children of Men, Harry Potter 3) that last one is real interesting cause i am under the impression he is already in high demand, but he hasn't made anything that hasn't recived unanimous praise yet, basically everything he touchs turns gold

It would be sweet to see X4 about Sentinels and Genosha and the mutant genocide.

The only way this could be done right is with Singer at the helm. The last one was just to awkward and clumsy, and i would love for them to find a way to just write it off and start over again from the end of X2 with Cyclops and Xavier back and redoing the Dark Pheonix Saga. Bring on the Shiar!!

With the time he was given and the script that was handed to him, I think Ratner handled X3 beautifully.

I think if we got Harris and Dougherty back, with Ratner at the helm, one incredible movie would come out of it. With their writing and Ratner's unique and epic vision, the X-Men could be taken to a new level. With an emotional script and Ratner's action fetish, it could pave way for more sequels.

As much as I like Singer and his style of directing, sometimes it isn't the most effective. I was watching X2 the other day and I couldn't help but think "Wow, compared to X3, this is boring..." Singer nailed the emotion and development of the characters, yet he failed at the action part.

I love X-Men, and I'm not just some random action junkie. I'm simply pointing out my opinion.

BoBByJoMo said:
With the time he was given and the script that was handed to him, I think Ratner handled X3 beautifully.

I think if we got Harris and Dougherty back, with Ratner at the helm, one incredible movie would come out of it. With their writing and Ratner's unique and epic vision, the X-Men could be taken to a new level. With an emotional script and Ratner's action fetish, it could pave way for more sequels.

As much as I like Singer and his style of directing, sometimes it isn't the most effective. I was watching X2 the other day and I couldn't help but think "Wow, compared to X3, this is boring..." Singer nailed the emotion and development of the characters, yet he failed at the action part.

I love X-Men, and I'm not just some random action junkie. I'm simply pointing out my opinion.

::puts on some flame shielding:: I agree with you, and at times its sad that people who got some enjoyment from X-3 get flamed cause of "God" Singer's X-men. I agree the man can make great drama and character development, but really aside from Wolvie vs Deathstrike, I haven't been to enthralled with his fight scenes. Do I think X-3 was the best? No i think it needed more time and development in some places, but do I think Singer would of done it any better? No, not at all.

X-Maniac said:
I don't think it works like that. Directors don't go round with signs on their back saying 'X-Men comicbook reader.' I doubt any film director 'loves the X-Men' in the way you hope.

The closest would be Wachowskis - who MUST be fans of the X-Men considering they added hunting robots called Sentinels into Matrix and some scenes were very X-Men styled (like the freezing of the bullets was like something Magneto could/would do).

Peter Jackson would also do a great X-trilogy. It would be best to let him start with a blank sheet and rebuild the X-Men's movieworld in a much truer way that suited an epic fantasy trilogy, recasting as he wanted, rather than having to work around the ideas of previous directors. But I doubt Fox would give him the freedom he wanted - they'd be demanding Hugh Jackman take centre-stage and then we'd be back where we started. I can just imagine how Peter Jackson would do the more way-out stuff like Sentinels, Phoenix's firebird - it would be totally awesome.

(Ridley Scott would also probably do a good job, it would be darker than Jackson and probably quite Singer-esque.)

If you want a dark, grounded, true-to-comics style, then I think the Wachowskis could do it. It would be close to the Singer style, but closer to the comics, and probably would not need to start from scratch, but could build on what we already have.

If you want big epic Age of Apocalypse type stuff, with massive mutant battles and fantastical things like firebirds and giant robots, then Peter Jackson. But I think a Jackson effort should be a trilogy that starts from scratch, recasting major characters to suit a more respectful comicbook feel. This would probably be the truest to the comics, and not as intensely dark as Singer, a little more 'fantasy' than 'realism'.

What I wouldn't give for a Peter Jackson directed X-men comicbook movie. The much needed visual imagery, flair, style and substance he would bring to the X-franchise.

Contrary to the constant disbelief that a closer to the source material version of X-men would have failed miserably, I really believe that a fully blown X-men movie would've done extremely well at the box office. It's been proven time and time again that audiences love fantasy films--especially when it's well done and not half-assed or cheaply (audiences can tell the difference between the great ones and the ones just trying to get by). Audiences would have gone crazy over the strong characters and stories that compose the X-men.

My god, imagine a fully blown fight with the Hellfire Club atop the penthouse of a Manhattan high-rise at night. Wolverine's violent fight with the guards. Then Jeans descent into darkness; the panels of her confronting Mastermind are just ripe for the big screen--what a scene it would make!

Then the coup de grace; the X-men's struggle against Dark Phoenix in Central Park, Jeans struggle to cope with ther alter ego. The light from the Firebird witnessed across Manhattan by both citizens and the local heroes.....my god, what a film, what imagery, what a story.....

....alas, Fox would never go for it. They'd take one look at the needed budget and speed dial Ratner....again.

Damn you Fox for being so conservative and having no faith in the source material. Damn you Singer for not knowing the source material and being so egotistical. Most of all, Damn you MARVEL for letting it happen. So many fans were waiting for years for the X-men to hit the big screen and this is the best you could come up with?!?!!!!!

Damn you all to hell!! (cue, wide angle panning shot of the thegameq on his knees in the sand. A series of giant rusted, crumbling, delapidated X-men statues lie askew in the background)

Damn you all to hell!! (cue, wide angle panning shot of the thegameq on his knees in the sand. A series of giant rusted, crumbling, delapidated X-men statues lie askew in the background)

Lol. Stella! Stella!!!!!!!!!!

I'd honestly rather see Ratner back without the rushed schedule than Singer. These are comic book films and they should be fun from start to finish. That doesn't mean they have to be dumbed down...they can still be well thought out and fun. Howabout Richard Donner???

Knowing Tranformers film is released next year, now I doubt the Sentinels will be in X4.

And if Wolverine will be released in 2009, X4 will be in 2011, probably, so Synger could do it. I preffer Singer than Ratner, but a new talented director with a talented filmography, and with a better vision of the x-saga, and the characters would be really great.

Or they could just start from the beginning after the events of the Magneto film when Xavier starts the school. :)

If they're going to restart the franchise or reinvision it or whatever, Joss Whedon is the obvious choice to direct. After Die another Day was equal parts commercially successful and terriblly actiony and over the top but they restarted that franchise and now its better than ever.

As for Singer vs Ratner, theres no debate. We want intelligent character driven but exciting films. Is anyone suprised that Ratner, with a resume including the dumb action flicks Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2 turned the X-franchise into a dumb action franchise? Don't be. Its equal parts his fault as well as Rothman, Kinberg and to a slightly lesser exten Penn's

How do you think it would be turn out if:

a) Singer directed a Kinberg/Penn script and beat it into shape
b) Ratner directed a Harris/Dougherty script and amped up the action/kinetics?

X-Maniac said:
How do you think it would be turn out if:

a) Singer directed a Kinberg/Penn script and beat it into shape
b) Ratner directed a Harris/Dougherty script and amped up the action/kinetics?
None of them seems good to me...

No matter how good the script is, Ratner and his fast pace would probably cut 30 minutes of the film to keep "it going". No matter how good Singer might be with setting things properly, no one can make good when one character dies with no reason, another one gets out of the movie in the ****tiest 10 second "emotional" scene ever, or every character feel the urge to say a pseudo funny one-liner, etc.

I'd take an actually good director (any) with a good written script.

flavio_lebeau said:
None of them seems good to me...

No matter how good the script is, Ratner and his fast pace would probably cut 30 minutes of the film to keep "it going". No matter how good Singer might be with setting things properly, no one can make good when one character dies with no reason, another one gets out of the movie in the ****tiest 10 second "emotional" scene ever, or every character feel the urge to say a pseudo funny one-liner, etc.

I'd take an actually good director (any) with a good written script.

I second that

It's totally clear at this times, that the problem were the creative team, so left them out (writers and director).

I'd like Bryan and his team come back, but if they won't, a new and better one is needed, but never the same as X3.

But you know, we should say, before of all, Fox never more, but that's more difficult...

Fox has the X-men rights for perpetuity. Says a Fox executive in an IESB.net interview.

still? It was never supposed to. Just rumors...though I think it will happen, yes.

Oh god. Fox has them forever? :(

Fox, Singer, Ratner, everybody involved in these films besides the actors are at fault for these imperfect films.

Sure X1 and X2 are leaps better than X3 as films, they are still massively flawed X-MEN films.

I say we either get an X4 made by Marvel (Marvel is the only one that can save this team from Fox, while they are at it, take F4 away from them too.) or start over fresh at Marvel.

I say neither Singer or Ratner should get the next film, if it happens.

David Fincher would probably be an excellent choice. He directed Fight Club, Panic Room, and the third Alien movie. (Although he had nothing to do with the script on that last one).

I also believe that Fox should get off their cheap asses and give us a special effects free for all. All the money they've squandered on (God knows what), seemingly did not show up on screen, so this time around there should be less character development, and more focus on their powers.

No, we need more characer developement. That was what ruined X3 because of the hack director who somehow found his way into a franchise with opputiornity and descided to destroy.

More character developement or bust

No, we need more characer developement. That was what ruined X3 because of the hack director who somehow found his way into a franchise with opputiornity and descided to destroy.

More character developement or bust

Hack director maybe to a group of fanboys online. Not to the rest of the world:

Directorships

ReleasedMovie Name 1st weekend Total Gross through 2007

Rush Hour 3 Unknown5/26/2006
X-Men: The Last Stand$102,750,665 $234,362,46211/12/2004
After the Sunset$11,100,392 $28,328,13210/4/2002
Red Dragon$36,540,945 $92,955,4208/3/2001
Rush Hour 2$67,408,222 $226,138,45412/22/2000
The Family Man$15,104,055 $75,764,0859/18/1998
Rush Hour$33,001,803 $141,186,8648/22/1997
Money Talks$10,654,369 $41,076,865

Total Grosses$839,812,282
Average Gross$119,973,183
Average Opening Weekend$39,508,636

Get off the Ratner bashing bandwagon already. It's getting old people.

hmm not only fanboys. From Radar Magazine's poll with big names of Hollywood:

Biggest Hack: Brett Ratner
Adored by Mariah Carey, Bob Evans, and Michael Jackson (who once sang the greeting on his answering machine), the Rush Hour director gets significantly less love from peers and studio brass, who are convinced that his transition from rap videos to feature films (like Red Dragon) reflects more on his ability to kiss ass than any actual talent. While some respondents were impressed with the box office returns for X-Men: The Last Stand, they were less impressed when the film flatlined in its second week and ticket sales dropped from $123 million to $7 million. But with a well-placed group of admirers in all the right places, Rat-boy needn't worry. We're sure 2007's Rush Hour 3 will do just fine. (And good luck on Rush Hour 4!)

And since when does a good director means one with good box offices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"