Animation Smallville Animated Series

The Superman Fleischer cartoons were already in the public domain for years. It's why they put out various home video releases.

You know what, I had no clue, so does that mean that anyone can make a Fleischer inspired Superman film or TV show or merchandise?

You know what, I had no clue, so does that mean that anyone can make a Fleischer inspired Superman film or TV show or merchandise?

Not until Action Comics #1 is in public domain. Merchandise rights belong to DC and WB. This only refers to home video releases.

I’d wait until Action Comics #1 reaches public domain as you don’t want to risk getting sued by DC and WB.

Not until Action Comics #1 is in public domain. Merchandise rights belong to DC and WB. This only refers to home video releases.

I’d wait until Action Comics #1 reaches public domain as you don’t want to risk getting sued by DC and WB.

Oh no, don't look at me, my life is busy as it is without trying to cash in on Superman's name. Although it's good to know that when Action#1 becomes public domain, whoever wants to do a superman project can use all the elements from the Fleicher cartoons as well, meaning classic elements like flying and xray/heat vision.
Speaking of the Fleicher cartoons, because of all the recent hoopla about "the American way" tagline I had another look at the opening and I could've sworn it was "truth, Justice and the American way" but it was actually "truth and justice". This got me thinking, most of Superman's media appearances (kirk Allen, Fleicher, Filmation cartoons, Superfriends, Superboy, L&C, STAS, JL, LOSH, SR, the DCEU and most of the animated movies) didn't have the "American way" in the tagline, but the 2 most influential Superman media projects (Reeves's AOS and Reeve's STM) did hence why it's become so inextricably linked to the character. Very interesting.

Sounds like Tom & Michael are going to pitch the Smallville animated series in January. And they hope it gets picked up.

Rosenbaum also asked him torwards the end of the video if he would play Superman. He said he would. He thinks he maybe could add "an element that's that's missing to the character for awhile now."He said he thinks it would be cool for his kids to see him as "Superman" he just has to get over himself (lol!) also said it would be awesome for fans who have watched him as Clark all these years actually become Superman. Also talks about how the multiverse makes it possible to see him again as Superman. Pretty cool!

Maybe he feels more confident in saying he would play Superman because he thinks the ship has sailed. Idk, Smallville is continuously getting new fans thanks to Hulu and still has a pretty decent fanbase anyways. I'd personally love to see it happen. Especially after a certain recent film came out and nailed it.

They haven't pitched it yet? I guess they've spent their own money on a short presentation?

They haven't pitched it yet? I guess they've spent their own money on a short presentation?

They really don't go into details aside from that and what we already know. We will see if anything happens in January haha! They mention they have artwork ready, which is cool. They say they're just happy it's still moving forward.

I did find it funny they tried to get Tom in the suit halfway through season 1. I really wouldn't have wanted to see him in that suit that soon to be honest. I think it would have been cool to see a real suit on him in the finale, but I'm good with how it ended at this point. At least he admits he was pretty anti-playing Superman even after Smallville. And now he's lightened up and is willing to do it now.

Last edited:
Thanks to streaming, animation and animated shows in general have benefitted hugely, probably more so than any other genre. I mean we've had gems like Dragon prince, Castlevania and Arcane from Netflix, Harley Quinn from DC/HBO and Invinsible from Amazon not to mention other good shows like Dota, Voltron, Camp Cretaceous, fight for cybertron, pacificrim the black. Hence I can totally see a Smallville show that appeals to an older demographic and new fans as well.

I've always felt Tom was anti-Superman during and after Smallville.

Apparently this post Smallville animated series is still on the cards according to Tom Welling:

Tom Welling Shares Update and Plans for the 'Smallville' Animated Series

Honestly I thought this was just one of those rumors that usually come and go, never to be heard of again but if you believe Tom Welling, then this could very well happen.
Personally I'm all for a Superman animated series for an older demographic (but not necessarily fo "adults only") especially with seeing how far animation has come in the last few years thanks to the streaming platforms.

The Smallville season 11 comicbook series was actually quite decent for the most part, with the Batman and Green Lantern arcs being special highlights and I think it would make for a good foundation should this series sees the light of day.
Speaking of Smallville season 11 I'd like to share with all of you one of my favorite images from that series done by the very underrated Jorge Jimeneze.If they use this kind of animation, then this potential series would be guaranteed to be visually beautiful, which is almost half the battle when it comes to making successful animation.

upload_2022-2-26_14-34-37.jpeg

Last edited:
Given Michael's statement earlier today, I'd say it's definitely still on the table. From the podcast, they are legit friends (as in, if I recall correctly from the podcast, they've celebrated milestone events together). If James was against it, I'm sure he would have said something due to that.

Link for: Michael's podcast with James.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"