Snyder's NOT a "visionary"

mastermindjcg

Civilian
Reaction score
Ok, just to be sure that, at least, the majority of everyone is on the same page and is, in no way, buying into the relentless marketing bulls*** surrounding an otherwise awesome looking picture. Orson Welles was a visionary, George Lucas is a visionary, James Cameron is a visionary. Zack Snyder, however, is NOT!!!!!! He is a capable director, I'll give him that, but considering that this guy's entire film resume consists of one remake of an unnecessary zombie picture, that was originated by an actual visionary, George Romero, and two adaptations of graphic novels, there's nothing there to even hint at "visionary" material. Now, everything I've seen from Watchmen has been top shelf, no doubt, but until Snyder decides to tackle a story which is NOT a straight remake or adaptation of something else, then we'll talk about being impressed with his stuff.

-so sayeth the mastermind-

You post this in the Watchmen section, not make a whole thread about it.

Now mods close this thread.

Every damned director in Hollywood is a "visionary" these days. Hell, they were even saying that about Frank Miller in the trailers for "The Spirit."

I'd like to know how the hell you become a "visionary" director when you haven't even directed an entire movie yet.

Doctor Jones said:
You post this in the Watchmen section, not make a whole thread about it.

Now mods close this thread.

Well, it's not really specifically about Watchmen, its about the director, so I don't think that it would really fit in the Watchmen thread.

Ok, just to be sure that, at least, the majority of everyone is on the same page and is, in no way, buying into the relentless marketing bulls*** surrounding an otherwise awesome looking picture. Orson Welles was a visionary, George Lucas is a visionary, James Cameron is a visionary. Zack Snyder, however, is NOT!!!!!! He is a capable director, I'll give him that, but considering that this guy's entire film resume consists of one remake of an unnecessary zombie picture, that was originated by an actual visionary, George Romero, and two adaptations of graphic novels, there's nothing there to even hint at "visionary" material. Now, everything I've seen from Watchmen has been top shelf, no doubt, but until Snyder decides to tackle a story which is NOT a straight remake or adaptation of something else, then we'll talk about being impressed with his stuff.

:applaud

He is a good Director but he should not have the "Visionary" put on to his name yet. We should wait and see his future films, its too early at the moment.

Agreed dawn of the dead was ok and 300 was ok, Watchmen looks good but I have seen a few scenes that make me say mehhhhhhhhh.

Shooting TDK in IMAX should qualify Nolan for visionary status.

^I think Nolan is a visionary, not a big one but still. The difference between Nolan and Snyder is that Batman gives Nolan a lot of room to express his creativity (Watchmen does not, the film is going to be very faithful to the graphic novel). Nolan really transformed the Batman-verse into a very realistic society. The plot for the stories, the changes made for villains such as Ra'S Al Ghul, Scarecrow, and Joker to fit his world of Batman were very good imo :up:

Before Snyder is to be called a "visionary" I think he should make a film where he is able to show his creativity. Im sure he is a creative guy but again...Watchmen is really Alan Moore's ideas brought to life.

btw, I agree with Terminator...shoot TDK in Imax cameras was very cool and innovative. Of course I will have to see Watchmen first before I can say Snyder isn't a visionary but as of now Watchmen looks like a VERY good film, nothing revolutionary however

Last edited:
You know what? *F* this thread.
I am sick and tired of people just bashing for the same of being "unique and cool".
I am not the biggest Zack Snyder fan, but I liked his DOTD and loved 300, and Watchmen looks like it's going to be really good.
It's so unfair to compare him to Spielberg, Cameron and all those other choices. He's so young, and he's doing very well. What's it to you if people call him a visionary? Who are you to say otherwise?
Is anyone else doing exactly what he's doing? Did anyone else fight hard to make Watchmen, for example? Excuse me, I didn't see Spielberg or Cameron running to get the rights to make this movie.
You don't like people calling him a visionary? Grab a ****ing camera and start to do something then.
I swear, there's just no winning with some of you people. You have someone pouring his heart out to make a good movie about a good franchise, and in 3 seconds, you get all uppity in your "I love Spielberg, therefore I know all about good filmmaking" club, and bash every single detail, instead of being grateful that someone is taking the time and care to work on a project like this/
I can't believe the nerve of people bashing people like Snyder and Nolan (yeah, I've seen that as well), when we have so many useless "directors" filming crap.
The Snyders and Nolans and whomever else you care to mention are going to be the Spielbergs and Camerons of tomorrow, and they sure are working hard at it (like Spielberg and Cameron did in the past).
It's just that some of you people think that ignoring this fact somehow makes you look like a film connoisseur.
Seriously, I'd like some of you to put your money where your mouth is and start proving how Snyder and the rest of the good current directors are not visionary.
This is just contradicting to appear different.
Ugh, stuff like this makes me hate this place more every day.

Timur Bekmambetov is a visionary director... cause he's wack

300 is the most overrated movie in history. Heck, Watchmen is the most overrated comic in history.

블라스;16476945 said:
You know what? *F* this thread.
I am sick and tired of people just bashing for the same of being "unique and cool".
I am not the biggest Zack Snyder fan, but I liked his DOTD and loved 300, and Watchmen looks like it's going to be really good.
It's so unfair to compare him to Spielberg, Cameron and all those other choices. He's so young, and he's doing very well. What's it to you if people call him a visionary? Who are you to say otherwise?
Is anyone else doing exactly what he's doing? Did anyone else fight hard to make Watchmen, for example? Excuse me, I didn't see Spielberg or Cameron running to get the rights to make this movie.
You don't like people calling him a visionary? Grab a ****ing camera and start to do something then.
I swear, there's just no winning with some of you people. You have someone pouring his heart out to make a good movie about a good franchise, and in 3 seconds, you get all uppity in your "I love Spielberg, therefore I know all about good filmmaking" club, and bash every single detail, instead of being grateful that someone is taking the time and care to work on a project like this/
I can't believe the nerve of people bashing people like Snyder and Nolan (yeah, I've seen that as well), when we have so many useless "directors" filming crap.
The Snyders and Nolans and whomever else you care to mention are going to be the Spielbergs and Camerons of tomorrow, and they sure are working hard at it (like Spielberg and Cameron did in the past).
It's just that some of you people think that ignoring this fact somehow makes you look like a film connoisseur.
Seriously, I'd like some of you to put your money where your mouth is and start proving how Snyder and the rest of the good current directors are not visionary.
This is just contradicting to appear different.
Ugh, stuff like this makes me hate this place more every day.
You might want to gulp this down with a glass of water :huh::

chillpillkh9.jpg

Seriously, I dont think anybody here is really attacking Snyder. It is a truth that Snyder is really much of a visionary yet...I think Nolan is but Snyder has done anything to really prove it YET. Im sure he will in the future, he is very capable as a director (Although I personally didn't like 300 I saw his potential) and watchmen looks great.
A title must be earned before its given and I beleive that is the whole point of this thread. Memento is one of my favorite films of all time, my favorite Nolan film by far but if someone asked me if I'd concider Nolan a visionary back in 2000 I'd say no, because he didn't do anything to prove it yet.

^I think 300 is overrated (not the most overrated movie in history though) but Watchmen really IS the best graphic novel I've ever read! I love it :up:...and that is all thanks to Snyder to be honest, after watching that GREAT watchmen teaser trailer I got my ass to Barnes & Noble and read away!

You might want to gulp this down with a glass of water :huh::

chillpillkh9.jpg

Seriously, I dont think anybody here is really attacking Snyder. It is a truth that Snyder is really much of a visionary yet...I think Nolan is but Snyder has done anything to really prove it YET. Im sure he will in the future, he is very capable as a director (Although I personally didn't like 300 I saw his potential) and watchmen looks great.
A title must be earned before its given and I beleive that is the whole point of this thread. Memento is one of my favorite films of all time, my favorite Nolan film by far but if someone asked me if I'd concider Nolan a visionary back in 2000 I'd say no, because he didn't do anything to prove it yet.

Nah, I'm good.
I don't usually rant, but people annoy me sometimes. The way that the idea of the thread was presented is very snobby, IMO...and heh I seriously can't stand that.
Snyder has a great future, I know that. Nolan is a better filmmaker, but I consider both of them some of the very best current directors.
Btw, my favorite Nolan movie is still The Prestige.

^I see what you mean, a lot of people can be pretty snobby when it comes to film but I agree that they are both very promising directors that will make great films down the road. I think Nolan has already hit the jackpot with the Batman saga and Im sure Snyder will do something really cool and creative someday in the future as well that will make him known as a great director.

And I actually think The Prestige is Nolan's worse film (which sounds bad but is actually a very good thing because I thought it was a very very good movie :up:)
Of all the Nolan films I've seen I list them like this:
1. Memento
2. The Dark Knight
3. Insomnia
4. Batman Begins
5. The Prestige

He is easily my favorite "new" director.

No, no, I know what you mean about "worse".
Technically, I am a huge Batman fan, and of course I love BB and TDK, and of course Memento blew me away, but The Prestige has David Bowie, so that shoots it right to the top for me :D
I'd like to see Insomnia, though.

Oh, as a Nolan fan you have to check out Insomnia. It is really overlooked. I think a lot of people were expecting a Silence of the Lambs/Seven sort of story but its not that even though it is about detectives trying to catch a serial killer. And its probably Robin Williams best performance next to Mrs.Doubtfire.

Its one of those films that gets better with time. When I first saw it I didn't really like it (I was expecting something similar to Silence of the lambs) but when I rewatched it, it was great :up:

I think visionary is nothing more than a cheap marketing term. The best directors let their work speak for them and leave the adjectives to the ad makers and hack critics.

Oh, as a Nolan fan you have to check out Insomnia. It is really overlooked. I think a lot of people were expecting a Silence of the Lambs/Seven sort of story but its not that even though it is about detectives trying to catch a serial killer. And its probably Robin Williams best performance next to Mrs.Doubtfire.

Its one of those films that gets better with time. When I first saw it I didn't really like it (I was expecting something similar to Silence of the lambs) but when I rewatched it, it was great :up:

Wow, ok, I will pick it up this weekend then :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"