So what's new for the Marvel Universe in 2008?

Fantasyartist

Civilian
Reaction score
After the upheavals of the Civil War between (America's) superheroes( culminating as it did in the dramatic assassination of Captain America) and then World War Hulk, the question remains- what's next for the Marvel Universe of 2008?
My guess is that nothing much will happen- there will be too much licking of wounds and retrenchment after both of these cataclysmic events!

Anybody else think as I do?

Terry

I think something's gotta happen given that there's another big crossover right in the middle of '08. It's written by Bendis too, which, of course, means it needs to crack the intarwebs into microscopic little bits this time.

For the first time in nearly a decade, I'm looking forward to see what's in store for the X-Men. :up:

My prediction: The New Avengers and Mighty Avengers will re-unite into one big team as a result of the Skrull Invasion. However both will still have their own books, with Mighty Avengers handling the big threats, and New Avengers handling the more street-level organized crime stuff. Expect membership shuffles on both teams as well.

That sounds plausible. It'd be funnier if the Mighty Avengers handled street-level threats and the New Avengers only fought classic Avengers villains, though.

The two books need to merge back into one. And when Steve comes back, they need to throw Bendis off the book, drop the New/Mighty and revert back to the original numbering.

That Newsarama interviewer asked Koi Pham whether Bucky would be joining the Mighty Avengers. I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if he'll wind up on either Avengers team now that he's taking over.

Bucky. As Cap.

My understanding of the character tells me that he wouldn't join an Avengers team. He'd either be a mascot for Iron Man's policies, which Steve abhorred, on the Mighty Avengers, or he'd be actively courting trouble and potentially endangering innocents by having the Capekillers after him anytime he shows his face on the New Avengers, which Steve would've also abhorred.

Yeah, I doubt he'll be joining a team. It would be interesting, though.

2008, The year good bucks will suck, and bad books will suck harder.

That was my angry fanboy moment of the day, brought to you by: Head-On, apply directly to the forehead.

The two books need to merge back into one. And when Steve comes back, they need to throw Bendis off the book, drop the New/Mighty and revert back to the original numbering.

Bendis aint going nowhere until HE decides. I also doubt they'll merge Avengers into one book. I mean, why should they sell us ONE Avengers book, when they have TWO high selling ones?

Also; The more i read Captain America, the more i think Steve Rogers may not ever return....

Another prediction: I believe Avengers Mansion will be restored as the main headquarters for one of the two teams, if not both.

Yeah, he's definitely coming back. Brubaker's not one to leave the fans hanging like that. He understands the nature of comics.

I hope Steve doesn't come back. As for Bucky, he wouldn't join the Mighty Avengers, because he doesn't want to be taking orders from Stark or S.H.I.E.L.D. Of course, that's all under the condition that Fury isn't back by the time Secret Invasion wraps up. If Fury comes back out of hiding, I can see Bucky maybe joining the Avengers (which will hopefully be under one title by the time '08 is over.)

Bendis says that someone will be returning to the Marvel Universe during Invasion, but not who we expect....everyone is expecting Cap to return, but i think it's going to be Fury.

Everyone's expecting Cap?

That's weird, because I was expecting Fury. Steve Rogers is dead as far as I'm concerned and he better stay dead.

I think Steve is dead (it would ruin the impact of #25 if it wasn't him), but he'll be back by the end of Brubaker's run.

Bendis has already said that Fury will be back for SI; two Maleev-drawn issues of New Avengers will be dedicated to showing what he knew and when he knew it.

Bendis has already said that Fury will be back for SI; two Maleev-drawn issues of New Avengers will be dedicated to showing what he knew and when he knew it.

I'm really looking forward to those issues, too. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"