Song Of The South DVD

Episode29

Hooper Drives The Boat!
Reaction score
Hey, I've been looking for a copy of this. As it isn't released officially, does anyone know where I could get a bootleg that'll ship to Canada?

All the unofficial sites only ship to the U.S...

Sheesh, I didn't have these problems with the Corman Fantastic Four or Star Wars Holiday Special.

This probably won't ever be released in today's PC/Liberal world.

Disney won't really even acknowledge it anymore.

Unless you have an original VHS copy your **** out of luck.

i don't even remember it on vhs. they made a ride outta the dang thing why not release the movie?

No, they acknowledge it. In fact, if you ride Splash Mountain at any of their theme parks, all of the scenes and songs in the ride are from Song of the South.

It keeps getting brought up at the Disney stockholder meetings, and while Bob Iger has said they're "considering" releasing it again, they don't currently have any official plans to release it.

But it is rumored on a lot of the Disney fan sites that it may be released, possibly as one of the Walt Disney Treasures box sets. Possibly before the release of The Princess and the Frog, as sort of a 'look how far we've come' type retrospective.

I think it's an interesting part of Disney history, and everyone I know who's seen the movie loves it. But if we do see it, I'm guessing it will probably be on one of the Walt Disney Treasures sets--which are geared towards the collectors who want it the most anyway. They do a good job with some of the un-PC cartoons on the other sets, I'd love to see how they handle a Song of the South release.

they never released it, and you will never find it.

It's been released overseas on VHS and laserdisc, so you can find it. It's just not easy to find...or have shipped to Canada, apparently. :csad:

I have about a 7-minute clip from it on DVD that's part of the Disneyland USA box set, but it's in black & white because it was part of a Disneyland tv special that aired in 1954.

Bob Iger said at this morning's annual stock holder meeting that 'Song of the South' won't be released on "little silver discs at this time"; perhaps an online download or Blu-ray transfer then?

Bob Iger said at this morning's annual stock holder meeting that 'Song of the South' won't be released on "little silver discs at this time"; perhaps an online download or Blu-ray transfer then?

Yeah, cause he just likes being sly about things. :whatever:

I don't understand why this film is considered to be so terribly racist. Because the black people are uneducated? Because they speak with a southern drawl? Because they're apparently happy with their lives?

First of all, it is set in 1870, during the Reconstruction era of the deep south after the American Civil War. The black people in the story have all just recently been emancipated. They've gone from being personal property to being underpaid help. I think a bunch of former slaves might just be happy about that. And even though they're no longer slaves, doesn't mean they have the right to go to school. That's a right they wouldn't receive for several more decades. And what accent are the actors suppose to use when they're playing characters from Alabama? British?

Even if they were slaves in pre-civil war Alabama, where is it written that EVERY slave owner in the deep south beat and abused their slaves? Just as some people abuse their animals while others treat them with kindness, surely some slave owners must have treated their slaves well. Show black slaves getting beaten half to death in Roots, North & South, or Glory and it's "artistic" and "historically accurate". Show happy, well treated slaves and it's racist.

Because in the film it's never said they have been emancipated, only up until the end you know that they are when Uncle Remus leaves on his own towards the end of the film.

What is considered racist is Br'er Rabbit covered in tar from a baby made of tar, called a tar baby, which black people have be called since the Uncle Remu's book was written.

In 2006 at the Disney Shareholders meeting Ovits was asked by a woman in the audience if they are ever going to release this film and he said no they aren't.

Some animation historians have dubbed the animation in the film to be the best ever done at Disney.

James Baskett who played Uncle Remus in the 1946 film received a honorary Oscar that year for playing Uncle Remus, and died 4 months later.

The tar baby made an appearance in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
cap059.jpg

Last edited:
They should release it as part of a box set along with Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will. The box can be titled We Really Hope You're A Film Historian Buying This.

It's one of those films I see having academic merit and to a very limited few, nostalgic value. It is a racist-tinged film that will be remembered divisively as an innocent children's movie and a blatant symbol of oppression.

I remember having seen it as a child and not knowing what racism was, liked it. I don't have detailed memories of it but I also wouldn't have understood any of the symbolism involved either. As an adult or even a teenager I could have pointed out where the film can be offensive.

Peter Pan is ridiculously racist too and Disney has no problem releasing and marketing it.

I don't recall anything blatant in it like Song of the South. In fact I had to look up what you meant and it refers to a single song, not the entire movie.

I don't recall anything blatant in it like Song of the South. In fact I had to look up what you meant and it refers to a single song, not the entire movie.

The way the Native Americans are portrayed in that film is unquestionably insulting and racist. The characters even refer to them as 'redskins' several times.

Basically it is released because Native American civil rights groups don't have the political power of African-American groups. Disney doesn't give a crap about racial tolerance. They just care about the political fallout.

Last edited:
I'd have to rewatch it again but aren't they in one scene only? Not that it makes it okay but the level of racism in it wouldn't be as high as one long movie dedicated to the idea of it.

I'd have to rewatch it again but aren't they in one scene only? Not that it makes it okay but the level of racism in it wouldn't be as high as one long movie dedicated to the idea of it.

Hook kidnaps Tigerlilly earlier in the film.

Hook kidnaps Tigerlilly earlier in the film.
As I said, I'd have to watch it again to see how much is there. It's been only slightly less longer since I saw Peter Pan as it was Song of the South.

I don't understand why this film is considered to be so terribly racist. Because the black people are uneducated? Because they speak with a southern drawl? Because they're apparently happy with their lives?

First of all, it is set in 1870, during the Reconstruction era of the deep south after the American Civil War. The black people in the story have all just recently been emancipated. They've gone from being personal property to being underpaid help. I think a bunch of former slaves might just be happy about that. And even though they're no longer slaves, doesn't mean they have the right to go to school. That's a right they wouldn't receive for several more decades. And what accent are the actors suppose to use when they're playing characters from Alabama? British?

Even if they were slaves in pre-civil war Alabama, where is it written that EVERY slave owner in the deep south beat and abused their slaves? Just as some people abuse their animals while others treat them with kindness, surely some slave owners must have treated their slaves well. Show black slaves getting beaten half to death in Roots, North & South, or Glory and it's "artistic" and "historically accurate". Show happy, well treated slaves and it's racist.

:up:

I saw the film once when it was up on youtube (before it was promptly taken down) and I don't get how it was racist.I mean at all.Yeah,it's from that "gone with the wind" style of bygone film making,but I don't remember anything being offensive.Remus is shown to be a caring and wise man.The little white boy has a little black boy as a friend.The white kid's mother doesn't speak disrespectfully towards Remus.

I personally wouldn't call it a masterpiece.(the cartoon parts were the best parts IMO)But,I don't really see how this film being available would send race relations back 100 years.

Well if you want to go to Eatonton, GA they sell a DVD in the Uncle Remus museum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"