Morbius Sony announces a Morbius movie in development!

True, and the reality is, they aren't going to end their relationship with Marvel studios after the success of NWH.
Pascal if anything, has been the one ahead of her ski's pushing for many more Sony/Marvel Spiderman projects post NWH.

We'll see what the landscape is after the proposed next Sony/Marvel Spiderman trilogy is finished .

If Sony starts putting out critically and BO successful spin offs in Kraven, Madame Web, and Silver and Black, then we'll see.

But even then, I'm skeptical that Pascal and Sony would really be willing to fully cut the chord with Feige and Marvel.

If Kraven, Madame Web, etc, pull in a billion dollars, the story changes, and it's a new ball game.

I just don't see Kraven, for example, as that compelling of a character and I have the SM comic where he was introduced and came to hunt Spidey. I mean, he's an okay villain, but not a guy I would necessarily run out first weekend to see. When you compare him to many of the Marvel characters, he fades quickly into the background for me. Maybe others see it differently, but I'd rather see the FF or the X-Men or even Namor characters. Sony is really limited when it comes to characters.

That's the rub.

There's a difference between Sony's desires and fantasies about the viability of potential spin off films, and going solo with Spiderman films, then there's the harsh reality of the present .

Sony is limited in it's options in terms of the viability of the these spin off films.

At the same time, their partnership with Marvel/ Disney has been hugely profitable , popular, and critically acclaimed.

So , as much as there may be people inside of Sony who don't like having to share the Spiderman pie, and would prefer to go it alone, it just doesn't make business sense at the moment, and they know that.

Pascal, for the moment, has accepted this reality, and is all in on the Feige/Marvel train.

Now they could always try to pull Spiderman out of the MCU and toss him into their wacky spinoffs, but they've already seen what their relationship with Marvel gives them , and there's just too much money to walk away from at this point.

So... I see Kraven as an interesting character.

My biggest gripe right now with Sony's apparent gameplan is Morbius in the sinister six. Morbius doesn't belong in the S6. Nor does Venom, Lizard or Green Goblin.

Doc Ock is a must and Sony seems unlikely to use him.

Ock
Mysterio
Kraven
Vulture

These would be the smart move to use as the core of the team. I would personally go with Electro or Shocker (a blaster) and Sandman, Scorpion, or Rhino (a brute).

But Morbius??? Why?!?! He hasn't even met spidey. Its so stupid.

And Andrew vs any of these guys (other than Electro) is also pretty stupid.

Id like to see Andrew vs Tom Hardy's Venom for sure. Maybe even include a transdimensional Emma Stone Spider Gwen.

Now could Venom, Spider Gwen and Andrew go against the sinister six? Yes I think that could be awesome. But id want to see 3 films leading up to that and Sony is *going* to screw all that up.

Something like:
Kraven (Andrew voice over as spidey?)
Amazing Spider-Man 3 (vs Venom, intro Spider-Gwen)
Venom 3 (Agent Venom vs Anti-Venom???)
Spider-Gwen (vs Lady Ock??)
Sinister Six (vs Venom, Spidey, Gwen)
- Lady Ock
- Mysterio
- Vulture
- Kraven
- Shocker/Electro
- Scorpion/Sandman/Rhino

NO MORBIUS. Gah. Sony... stop ****ing this up. :(

True, and the reality is, they aren't going to end their relationship with Marvel studios after the success of NWH.
Pascal if anything, has been the one ahead of her ski's pushing for many more Sony/Marvel Spiderman projects post NWH.

We'll see what the landscape is after the proposed next Sony/Marvel Spiderman trilogy is finished .

If Sony starts putting out critically and BO successful spin offs in Kraven, Madame Web, and Silver and Black, then we'll see.

But even then, I'm skeptical that Pascal and Sony would really be willing to fully cut the chord with Feige and Marvel.

If Kraven, Madame Web, etc, pull in a billion dollars, the story changes, and it's a new ball game.
After what happened last time, it would cost them way too much money. They want Holland as Spidey for the rest of time. Guess who just got a new contract and probably has it in that new contract that there will be no more funny business when it comes to his Spidey?

There is a reason everyone has promised the last time was the end of this crap. Because Sony needs it to be. The reaction was not what they were expecting. People don't care if you think Disney is treating you unfair. What they care about is they love their MCU flicks and want them to continue. All the branding by Pascal and Sony in the world, doesn't change that people know who gave them them movies they actually like.

After what happened last time, it would cost them way too much money. They want Holland as Spidey for the rest of time. Guess who just got a new contract and probably has it in that new contract that there will be no more funny business when it comes to his Spidey?

There is a reason everyone has promised the last time was the end of this crap. Because Sony needs it to be. The reaction was not what they were expecting. People don't care if you think Disney is treating you unfair. What they care about is they love their MCU flicks and want them to continue. All the branding by Pascal and Sony in the world, doesn't change that people know who gave them them movies they actually like.

Exactly.

We always have to keep in mind that this is the movie business, and at the end of the day, Sony is in this to make money .
Lots of money.

Regardless of their egos, their pocket books come first.

So... I see Kraven as an interesting character.

My biggest gripe right now with Sony's apparent gameplan is Morbius in the sinister six. Morbius doesn't belong in the S6. Nor does Venom, Lizard or Green Goblin.

Doc Ock is a must and Sony seems unlikely to use him.

Ock
Mysterio
Kraven
Vulture

These would be the smart move to use as the core of the team. I would personally go with Electro or Shocker (a blaster) and Sandman, Scorpion, or Rhino (a brute).

But Morbius??? Why?!?! He hasn't even met spidey. Its so stupid.

And Andrew vs any of these guys (other than Electro) is also pretty stupid.

Id like to see Andrew vs Tom Hardy's Venom for sure. Maybe even include a transdimensional Emma Stone Spider Gwen.

Now could Venom, Spider Gwen and Andrew go against the sinister six? Yes I think that could be awesome. But id want to see 3 films leading up to that and Sony is *going* to screw all that up.

Something like:
Kraven (Andrew voice over as spidey?)
Amazing Spider-Man 3 (vs Venom, intro Spider-Gwen)
Venom 3 (Agent Venom vs Anti-Venom???)
Spider-Gwen (vs Lady Ock??)
Sinister Six (vs Venom, Spidey, Gwen)
- Lady Ock
- Mysterio
- Vulture
- Kraven
- Shocker/Electro
- Scorpion/Sandman/Rhino

I don't see Kraven as "uninteresting", but headlining a movie? Unless Sony is able to pull something out of their hat that I haven't seen before, I'm just sort of meh about the project. After thinking about it, there are a lot of villains, but not heroes. Sony is really thin there and the collaboration with Marvel gives them more breadth in that area. NWH is a great example of what they can do "with" Marvel, but not without them.

I think in the long run, its already ****ed up.

I mean fans spent alot of time planning how certain characters were gonna enter the MCU recast. and its become very clear by Kevin Fiege himself that they don't (by choice) intend to reintroduce these characters recast. Which means even in the MCU Spider-man is not intended to take on all the storylines that fans hoped for. Which means it will all be very different anyway. So when people say Sony ****ed up, what they mean is that Sony isn't doing it right. But Sony are basically giving us a different take on the Sinister 6 the same way Marvel would.

People just tend to forget that Marvel doesn't always do it right either.

I think people will have to accept at some point that Sony and Marvel will not be giving us the Spider-man universes people expect, talked about or even speculated for years about. Its not just Sony doing it, this is just a thing thats to be expected .

Last edited:
I think in the long run, its already ****ed up.

I mean fans spent alot of time planning how certain characters were gonna enter the MCU recast. and its become very clear by Kevin Fiege himself that they don't (by choice) intend to reintroduce these characters recast. Which means even in the MCU Spider-man is not intended to take on all the storylines that fans hoped for. Which means it will all be very different anyway. So when people say Sony ****ed up, what they mean is that Sony isn't doing it right. But Sony are basically giving us a different take on the Sinister 6 the same way Marvel would.

People just tend to forget that Marvel doesn't always do it right either.

I think people will have to accept at some point that Sony and Marvel will not be giving us the Spider-man universes people expect, talked about or even speculated for years about. Its not just Sony doing it, this is just a thing thats to be expected .
I think the present collaboration is about the best we'll get. With a wider array of characters they can use, Marvel opening up the Multiverse gives them a conduit to reintroduce characters without a reboot. Not to beat a dead horse, but Sony is rather hamstrung in this regard.

I don't think they are as hamstrung as people think. You would almost believe Marvel so were hamstrung the way they are concentrating on lesser-known characters like Moon Knight. But they are making it work. So really with something like Spider-man and the spidey universe or spiderverses. its probably richer than the majority of the other characters.

Last edited:
I don't think they are as hamstrung as people think. You would almost believe Marvel so were hamstrung the way they are concentrating on lesser-known characters like Moon Knight. But they are making it work. So really with something like Spider-man and its universe. there is probably more you can do with it than the majority of the other characters.
Not sure I follow.....if by "concentrating" on Moon Knight, you mean making a D+ show, we have a different idea of what concentrating means. I would say Marvel is "concentrating" on Dr Strange, Thor, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and with an eye to open the door to Fantastic Four, X-Men, etc. All of those characters/teams are, outside of Spidey, much more well known and hotter names than anything else in Spiderverse. I suppose an argument could still be made for Venom "maybe" being bigger than "maybe" CM, but I don't think so. Her movie did very, very well.

The actual point I was making is that, while Spiderverse has some good baddies, they really only have 1 hero and are sharing it with Marvel. That's called hamstrung IMO. The fact that Marvel is making a slew of D+ shows AND movies that are doing quite well, speaks to the difference in success by each studio. I don't even consider this a debate. By any metric, Sony isn't in the same league at this time.

If Sony hits it out of the park with the next couple of movies instead of creating another Morbius, there might be some discussion to be had, but even after that, they'd have a long way to go in order to catch up.

Not sure I follow.....if by "concentrating" on Moon Knight, you mean making a D+ show, we have a different idea of what concentrating means. I would say Marvel is "concentrating" on Dr Strange, Thor, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and with an eye to open the door to Fantastic Four, X-Men, etc. All of those characters/teams are, outside of Spidey, much more well known and hotter names than anything else in Spiderverse. I suppose an argument could still be made for Venom "maybe" being bigger than "maybe" CM, but I don't think so. Her movie did very, very well.

Thing is people expected X-Men and F4 put in front of some of the other properties like internals for example. But Marvel have priorities.

The point that it really comes down to is that to the wider audience that watches these movies and shows. Most of these characters are not all that well known. And they are really only just learning about them.

The actual point I was making is that, while Spiderverse has some good baddies, they really only have 1 hero and are sharing it with Marvel.

Well actually they have many versions of that 1 hero. Spiderverse got their first. Miles, 2099, Nior, Spidergwen/Spiderwomen ect ect.

And what No Way Home has done is create a spiderverse that can all be interconnected in the sane way a cinematic universe can be.

Thing is people expected X-Men and F4 put in front of some of the other properties like internals for example. But Marvel have priorities

The point that it really comes down to is that to the wider audience that watches these movies and shows. Most of these characters are not all that well known. And they are really only just learning about them

Well actually they have many versions of that 1 hero. Spiderverse got their first.

And what No Way Home as done is create a spiderverse that can all be interconnected.

OKay......here's the deal as I see it. What someone expected or wanted isn't really the point. Marvel has gone from IM, CA, Thor, Hulk, BW, etc. to billion dollar movies about Black Panther and Captain Marvel as well as very popular characters like Dr Strange, Ant-Man, TWS, etc. It's because of the range of characters they have that they were able to elevate relatively unknown characters to pop status. IF Sony can elevate, Kraven and Madame Web, I clearly stated we're in a different conversation. We just aren't there yet. I'm not saying it "can't" happen, but, yes, I'm skeptical because of their past record. Are ALL Marvel characters high profile? No, but it would be impossible to argue that characters like BP, CM, and DS haven't been elevated a great, great deal because of how Marvel handled the world building. This world building was also made possible BECAUSE they had depth of characters. They could bring in TWS and BP into high profile and successful movies BEFORE putting them in their own headlining roles. They also were able to have successful origin movies like Ant-Man and DS and then elevate their profile with team ups. Sony just doesn't have that at this point and that lack of depth puts up barriers for them.

The animated Spiderverse movie was well received, but what is Spiderverse without Spider-Man? The name itself tells it all.....SPIDERVERSE. The Marvel multiverse isn't dependent on one character. THAT is the point I'm making. Even Spidey will have to take a break at some point. When that happens to a Marvel character (IM, CA, BW, etc), there is a depth of characters to take over. We'll see how Shang Chi and Eternals pan out and I don't expect every character to become big, but Marvel has a deep well to draw from. Sony does not. It's not that complicated. I'm not saying Sony can't possibly succeed. I'm just saying they have barriers that Marvel does not.

Well actually they have many versions of that 1 hero. Spiderverse got their first. Miles, 2099, Nior, Spidergwen/Spiderwomen ect ect.

And what No Way Home has done is create a spiderverse that can all be interconnected in the sane way a cinematic universe can be.
You must work for Sony for all that stretching you do. Having multiple Spider-Man type characters is not the same thing as what Marvel is doing with introducing new characters. Spider-Gwen, 2099, Mikes are all derivatives of 1 character. They'll loose steam real quick if they do what you suggest.

You must work for Sony for all that stretching you do. Having multiple Spider-Man type characters is not the same thing as what Marvel is doing with introducing new characters. Spider-Gwen, 2099, Mikes are all derivatives of 1 character. They'll loose steam real quick if they do what you suggest.
I may not be hitting every point accurately or seeing everything, but the basic differences I'm pointing out aren't opinions. A Spiderverse, IF done right, could be successful, but it's a smaller, more limited approach and, so far, Sony hasn't done it right in an even reasonably consistent way.

What like WB is doing with Batman? Which is still going pretty well at the box office. The difference is that the comics have created various different spider-men over the years. Not all the same character, Which means that yeah they actually could have several spider-men films going for years to come. potentially crossing them over for a big event. Which lets be honest. from a business perspective. Which is what I'm thinking about here. Not a whiny fan perspective where things have to be done one way or no way. expanding the spiderverse is probably the most logical bet to go on here.

And yeah you know what? you can still do Kraven. Black cat, Venom and whatever else in between. Owning Spider-man really isn't a concerning property to own when it comes to directions.

We are in a world where Warner Brothers made a Joker Movie. Now they have made comic book movies people ain't that fond of... But The Joker movie made alot of money. There was no Batman there. and it barely exists in any Batman lore as batman is still a kid. And had they listened to Fans that folded their arms saying WhY aRe YoU MaKiNg jOkEr WiThOuT bAtMan! then it wouldn't exist, and alot of people clearly wouldn't have gone to see it. And that clearly would have been DUMB business sense to not have made the movie.

Last edited:
Your comparison to WB would work if WB was solely making Batman or Batman related content. They're not.

Your comparison to WB would work if WB was solely making Batman or Batman related content. They're not.

Batman is their strongest IP and they are milking it.

• The Batman was just released. Probably a sequel soon.
  • Bat Affleck and Bat Keaton returning as batman in the flash.
  • Batgirl is out soon with Bat Keaton returning.
  • They are likely planning another joker movie.
  • They have another Joke in The Batman.
  • Does Harley Quinn count as a Batman villain?

Last edited:
I'm certainly not saying that SM can't be successful over a number of years, but your bringing Batman up brings up an interesting comparison. The first of which is that WB HAS some of the depth of heroes I've been talking about and Sony doesn't. BvS, JL, etc. could have been fun if handled correctly. They have Supes, BM, WW, Flash, etc. My point, repeated ad nauseam, is that Sony doesn't have that. Sure, they have some baddies, but other than "possibly" Green Goblin, both DC and Marvel have not only much better villains, but WAY more depth in that department also. They are making a Kraven movie. If someone thinks that he is in the same league as Joker or Dr. Doom, well, I've got another opinion. AGAIN, I'm not saying that SM, or even Kraven, can't be successful, but Sony can't mine the characters their competition can. Sony's best efforts of late have come with their "collaboration" with Marvel. Without Marvel, they fared much more poorly at filmmaking and this is yet another weak link for Sony. I would say that those who dispute this are very few and far between.

Sony is the team with fewer resources (financially, creatively, and IPs) and is at a disadvantage in just about every area. As far as Sony having their own universe, they either need to develop more characters or need to get permission to use others.....and Marvel ain't letting that happen if it's a purely Sony movie. Marvel is happy to have NWH style movies, but that's the best Sony can do and if Marvel doesn't like the direction, they can stop their characters from being used. Sony can stop SM from being used, but that puts them in a worse position than the other way around.

Sony can make a lot of money off SM and, if they figure out how to make consistently good movies on their own, other characters too.

This movie was fine; but it would have been great if Sony really swung for the fences on this and made it a horror film. And maybe rated R.

This movie was fine; but it would have been great if Sony really swung for the fences on this and made it a horror film. And maybe rated R.
I decided to not see it partially because the reviews were so, so bad. I might have liked it because I'm kind of a lousy critic and like just about everything, but what really convinced me not to see it was the movie previews.

I just don't see Kraven, for example, as that compelling of a character and I have the SM comic where he was introduced and came to hunt Spidey. I mean, he's an okay villain, but not a guy I would necessarily run out first weekend to see. When you compare him to many of the Marvel characters, he fades quickly into the background for me. Maybe others see it differently, but I'd rather see the FF or the X-Men or even Namor characters. Sony is really limited when it comes to characters.
Since their Cinematic Universe revolves around a single character and his world,
Sony is throwing everything Spider_Man related against the wall and hoping that it sticks.

I decided to not see it partially because the reviews were so, so bad. I might have liked it because I'm kind of a lousy critic and like just about everything, but what really convinced me not to see it was the movie previews.

It’s definitely fun to pile on but beyond the obvious studio interference and the Jared Leto of it all, this a totally serviceable introductory comic book movie. Adapting the story of Loxias Crown / Hunger as a brotherly figure for Morbius is fine and using a villain with the same powers is par-for-the-course. It’s just that this movie is overwhelmingly held back by Sony.

This, like Venom, like the upcoming Kraven, should all be Rated R. Go full Joker with it and let these directors cut loose with the characters. The Morbius story as they presented it could actually have legs as a moody vampire movie but it just got chopped to bits.

And if you swap out Leto with someone a bit better-suited to bring it all together, I think this could have been a success for Sony. But, alas, it’s no surprise that they got in their own way yet again. Think someone like Cillian Murphy or Rami Malek in the lead role instead with an auteur director. Obviously not a name to inflate the budget but maybe someone like Stefano Sollima who directed the Sicario sequel which Sony distributed. He also directed Without Remorse last year with Michael B. Jordan.

If they want to tease future spin-off movies, they should have teased one of the mercenaries as an ex-Symkarian Wild Pack and introduce the Silver Sable actress in a post credit scene. Or let Simon Stroud have a robot arm and instead of being a boring FBI agent, he works for a SHIELD-type organization that handles superhuman events (tying to Venom). I’m sure Spider-Man lore has something that’s all it’s own that MCU can’t touch.

If you really wanted to do spinoff solo films for Spider-Man, you'd try doing Miles Morales movies, movies about Spider-Man 2099, maybe even Spider-Gwen or Black Cat. But that's after you maybe set them up in other films or what have you.

Morbius is a disaster. You can't do stupid solo **** for villains and characters like Morbius, Madame Web, and Kraven. Their whole existence is derived from Spider-Man. At least have them encounter and deal with Spider-Man first. These are not quality solo characters.

Since their Cinematic Universe revolves around a single character and his world,
Sony is throwing everything Spider_Man related against the wall and hoping that it sticks.

Thats any character though. In truth, thats what happens when you make a movie with any lesser known character. Unless you just play it safe, then its always throwing and seeing what sticks.

Morbius is a disaster. You can't do stupid solo **** for villains and characters like Morbius, Madame Web, and Kraven. Their whole existence is derived from Spider-Man. At least have them encounter and deal with Spider-Man first. These are not quality solo characters.

Same could be said for Joker before they made a origin movie about him.

And chances are many did say that.

I think the mistake people often make is to say you can't do something without something else, and i think even Marvel themselves have proven thats not true.

Last edited:
Same could be said for Joker before they made a origin movie about him.

And chances are many did say that.

I think the mistake people often make is to say you can't do something without something else, and i think even Marvel themselves have proven thats not true.

False equivalence.

Sorry, it's not a valid comparison because none of these characters are on the level of The Joker. The Joker is one of the most iconic villains in history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"