Venom Can This Be the Start of a Venomverse?

Discussion in 'Sony Spider-Man Spin-Offs' started by jolldan, Oct 16, 2018.

1. jolldan Registered

[​IMG]
    So no spoilers buy after watching Venom it got me thinking on the potential for other of Sony's properties that could be converted to fit in to the same sort of universe as Venom?

[​IMG]
    The first thing that jumps to mind is Morbius the Living Vampire, which is apparently already in development, the story of Morbius and the tone of the charter as one who starts out a villain and becomes more of a anti-hero is similar to that of Venom so a potential team up for the two wouldn't be out of the question. (Plus it has Jared Leto attached those two could be great together)

Do you think there is potential for Venom to create its own little universe for itself?
    Or should it just stick to solo films?

2. Spider-Aziz Dummy Dragon Holo

They've already named it the Spider-Man movie world, no need to change its name to the Venom Cinematic Universe.

3. Ihmago Registered

It's actually called "Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters." or SUMC for short lol

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  4. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I think Venomverse may very well be what we, the fans, end up calling it. The current SUMC name I just sort of hate, LOL!

5. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

SUOMC

which is almost like SUOMI (Finland).

Or is it SUMC

Suckit U Miserable Critics cause Venom rocks!

6. Another_Fool Registered

Or we could just call it Turdverse. I might as well beat the detractors to the punch on that one.

7. jolldan Registered

It's just who else can fit in it?

What other characters from the world of Spider-Man do you think would make a welcome addition to a team of Venom & Morbius?

8. ludovica Daddy Feige notice me!

Sandman could work and I think the not too bright, reformed criminal version of him can carry a nice character study.
    At the same time I want him in the MCU's Sinister Six though.

Also could work: Jury's Sentry, Lizard, Cardiac, Demogoblin, the Spot. Yeah, the Spot, I said it, deal with it. :o
    I'm not saying these characters could carry or should get a solo movie, to be clear, but they could round out a monster squad of sorts.

Among the proposed spin offs, Silk and Nightwatch could complement the monster theme, Kraven can be played as amoral and opportunistic and therefore could also become an ally.

Jackpot, Cat and Sable are not great shoo ins but screenwriters are paid to figure it out. :D

#8 ludovica, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    jolldan likes this.
  9. The Infernal Mky Mk

I would just keep them as seperate films only loosely affiliated. They're never going to have an Avengers or even Guardians of the Galaxy style film with the characters they have so I don't see the need to world build to the extent that the mcu does. They can always do the odd crossover here and there, but they could just be 'one and done' deals.

ludovica likes this.
  10. jolldan Registered

Yes would love to see them build up to a sinister 6 movie.

I remember reading somewhere that Kraven was considered for a villain for Tom Holland so I wouldn't be surprise if they kept hold of him.

Black Cat seems like a great fit agreed, her power set would just work well in to that anti-hero model. You can have her as the traditional cat burglar to start with but her bad luck powers end up getting a security guard hurt or killed. Making her very much unable to control her powers would be the best way to make her sympathetic.
    • Maybe im digging too deep on this but it actually kind of justifies what she's doing. Think about it if you just tried to live a normal life amongst people with those powers you would bring people nothing but misery but if she gets a lot of money she can afford to get a big place away from people so she doesn't accidently hurt them. (It doesn't totally redeem her of stealing but it makes her a lot more layered than a common crook)

ludovica likes this.
  11. ludovica Daddy Feige notice me!

Theoretically I agree with you, but the more these movies will be successful, the more Sony will eye the biggest crossover possible with them.
    Alas, we have yet to wait and see how the second one of these productions turns out and performs.

12. ehh iono

Sony is going to try really hard to have an MCU like crossover film. I don't think it will work, but seeing how much audiences love Venom, it'll probably bring in a lot of money.

13. jolldan Registered

Think a lot of it comes down to how good the stories are that they are telling because they have a smaller lane to work in than the MCU by that I mean Marvel has more of range it can pick from in terms of the types of stories it wants to tell.

For example they can have an ultimate Mary Sue boy scout type who would never break a rule in one movie and then go to a grittier hero who isn't opposed to dancing right on that line between hero and villain.

Sony seem to only have the second option right now with the likes of Venom and Morbius, so they have to work very hard to make Morbius very different from Venom so that it doesn't feel similar.

ludovica likes this.
  14. ehh iono

If they start making movies like SILK, that would give them some more range. But I don't know how big a universe like this can get when you don't have access to something like the MCU.

ludovica likes this.
  15. Da-Scribe he/him

If I were Sony, I'd just run with Spider-verse thing and let Venom be its own beast, separate from the MCU. But the MCU can still exist as an alternate universe. I think that's how Sony is going to work around not having a huge stable of characters to work with. Just establish multiple universes.

ludovica likes this.
  16. ehh iono

Honestly, I think they should just focus on making individual, standalone movies and develop this universe slowly. The movies would take place in the same continuity, but no massive world building until the series gets on its two feet.

ludovica and Milk Tray Guy like this.
  17. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Oh, they'll definitely call it the Venomverse! :funny:

Now where have I heard that before... :)

18. ehh iono

It might as well be the Venom-erse if the universe mostly revolves around him. But I don't know where this universe is headed or what the long-term goal is. SUMC just sounds awful.
    Lol really?

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  19. NHawk19 insert witty comment

If they keep the Kraven, and Morbius movies on the docket, October seems to be their sweet spot. They're seasonal for Halloween, and far enough away from the other Blockbusters that they won't be passed over in a week.