Sony E3 Conference 2009

With most games I'd agree, but Agent sounds to be a different deal. I mean there are rumors that they secured Agent while letting GTA slip. So Sony probably paid quite a bit for Agent, and hopefully learned the importance of locking down an exclusive. Plus it's a new IP, and doesn't sound like a sandbox game. I have doubts it'll take off enough for Microsoft to pay enough $$ for Rockstar to break whatever contract Sony got them in.

Atleast for the first game that is. I'd say anything past the first game is probably fair game.

To tell the truth tho, it's meaning less and less. When Sony can produce games like Uncharted 2, GOW 3, LBP, R&C, Twisted Metal, and so on all internally, and still receive the FF's, Bioshocks, MGS's, Dead Rising's, etc. as multiplats they're in a good place. Sony turned up the heat on securing new first party games, and I think it's a great strategy that'll help them in the long run.

I really dont think this Agent game is going to be going to the 360. This is the first time the game has been named but Sony secured the rights to this years ago. I remember people bashing and talking about how stupid they were for letting GTA4 slip by when MS announced it was going to the 360, but Tretton came out and said that Rockstar was going to be working on a brand new IP exclusive to the PS3. I think most people just forgot about it until we finally heard something now

I mean there are rumors that they secured Agent while letting GTA slip. So Sony probably paid quite a bit for Agent, and hopefully learned the importance of locking down an exclusive. Plus it's a new IP, and doesn't sound like a sandbox game. I have doubts it'll take off enough for Microsoft to pay enough $$ for Rockstar to break whatever contract Sony got them in.
Not really a rumor bc Sony and Rockstar said so years ago. Am I the only one remembering this stuff?

August 2007: http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2007/08/02/rockstar-s-mysterious-ps3-exclusive-game/

While Rockstar Games was unwilling to go Sony-only for the next version of Grand Theft Auto, the company is apparently working on its "next great franchise", and it will be a PS3 exclusive. No details were offered on just what that franchise might be--or when it will be released--but according to Gamespot UK, it won't be LA Noire.

In explaining why Sony locked up the game, the article quotes SCEA's director of Third-party relations, Michael Shorrock, who wrote on the official US PlayStation blog: "Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc, and this deal lets them do just that."

That's exciting news for PS3 fans. Of course, if the game is as great as Rockstar says it is, we might not see it until 2009 or 2010. By then, any AAA PS3 game will be so massive in scope that it won't fit on a DVD, only a Blu-ray disc. Maybe that's why Shorrock was saying that the mysterious franchise would only be playable on a PS3.

July 2007: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/f...usive-rockstar-franchise-for-ps3/70729/?biz=1
Sony just made a potentially key move in the console wars, shoring up the exclusive rights to Rockstar Games' next big franchise. Nothing is known about the new game at this time, however. Also, SCEA's Jack Tretton revealed that "they let Rockstar out of the exclusive" for GTA IV "in exchange" for this.

Rockstar Games as a PS3 exclusive.

In a post on the official PlayStation.blog, Michael Shorrock, Director of 3rd Party Relations at Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA), said, "As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for both companies with the cultural icon that is Grand Theft Auto, we've agreed to the PlayStation exclusive rights of the next great franchise from the Rockstar studios."

He continued, "Everyone knows to have success in this business you need to look ahead, identifying the talent and titles that are going to give consumers new kinds of gaming experiences that help set the bar for the rest of the industry. Rockstar has a heritage for doing just that. We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what's to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that."

Nothing is known at this point about the unnamed franchise, and Shorrock pointed out that it's not LA Noire, but definitely "something all new." Unfortunately, Sony isn't prepared to say anything more for now. "We agreed with Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive Software that we wouldn't disclose anything more about the deal or title at this time, so stay tuned, we'll share more info as soon as we can," Shorrock added.

Interestingly, in an episode of Game Head, SCEA CEO Jack Tretton told host Geoff Keighley that getting the exclusive rights to Rockstar's next franchise was apparently "in exchange for letting them out of [the GTA IV] exclusive." Sony must be awfully excited about the potential of Rockstar's next project if they'd give up exclusivity for a property as hot [no pun intended] as GTA. The real question is whether Rockstar has another blockbuster franchise in them that's not named GTA. One former employee certainly doesn't think so

Last edited:
Will the new motion controls use the exisiting Playstation Eye or will there be a new one released specifically for it?

Last edited:
About The Agent coming out to the 360, it will all come down to, how the market is doing at date of it´s release.
Let´s look at it the way it is now, with 360 selling alot more than the PS3 on the US market, and the US market being the main market for Rockstar games....will you actually believe that the game will not go multiplatform?
Imagine that Natal is all that is announced to be, and takes the 360 to go toe to toe with the Wii, do you really expect the game not to go to the Microsoft console?
When there is still 1 year to go (the least), let´s wait before saying that the game will be exclusive.
Remember FFXIII was going to be an exclusive too....

Isildur´s Heir;17026299 said:
About The Agent coming out to the 360, it will all come down to, how the market is doing at date of it´s release.
Let´s look at it the way it is now, with 360 selling alot more than the PS3 on the US market, and the US market being the main market for Rockstar games....will you actually believe that the game will not go multiplatform?
Imagine that Natal is all that is announced to be, and takes the 360 to go toe to toe with the Wii, do you really expect the game not to go to the Microsoft console?
When there is still 1 year to go (the least), let´s wait before saying that the game will be exclusive.
Remember FFXIII was going to be an exclusive too....
I dont think Sony and Square Enix ever had an official exclusivity deal though. I beleive that was more SE's decision simply bc they had a prior business relationship with Sony and they felt the hardware they ahd to work with was best for what they wanted to do with the game. Different here bc Rockstar and Sony actually do have a confirmed exclusivity agreement. Of course I could be wrong but I dont see Rockstar pulling a SE and announcing a simultaneous release of the game for the 360. If and when it comes for the 360, it probably wont be for at least a year after the PS3 version, similar to how they handled the GTA series last gen

Last gen the Xbox was the newcomer, so, it´s totally acceptable that Sony got the exclusivity on the GTA games.
Now could you say no to the console that were crushing everyone else?
Now......so, unless Rockstar and Take2 are in the lsing money business, they will release it on the 360 too, i´m sure.
At this point, the 360 sold 30.40 million units compared to the PS3 22.45 million (and that´s worldwide, because in the US, the diference is 17.38M to 8.61M) , so, let´s imagine that, at the time of The Agent release, the distance is even bigger, 15 or 20 million to Microsoft (don´t have a fit, that´s just an example), wouldn´t Rockstar release it on the 360 too?

Last edited:
I'm sure if Agent does well they'd love to make it multiplat. I just think Havok and a few of us think that it won't matter as Agent is locked into exclusitivity at launch legally. I doubt that if Sony paid big $$'s for Agent, and after all this time it took developing, that they'd let Rockstar break their contract within months of the release. Nor do I think Rockstar would want to get on Sony's bad side by doing so.

If Agent really does become GTA level, it probably will go the 360 eventually. I just don't see it happening until atleast 1 year after it's launch on the PS3. Same way with the GTA4 DLC on 360. Microsoft paid for exclusitivity, and they got that. Eventually it will probably go to the PS3, but not until that contract allows them to.

Isildur´s Heir;17026335 said:
Last gen the Xbox was the newcomer, so, it´s totally acceptable that Sony got the exclusivity on the GTA games.
Now......so, unless Rockstar and Take2 are in the lsing money business, they will release it on the 360 too, i´m sure.
At this point, the 360 sold 30.40 million units compared to the PS3 22.45 million (and that´s worldwide, because in the US, the diference is 17.38M to 8.61M) , so, let´s imagine that, at the time of The Agent release, the distance is even bigger, 15 or 20 million to Microsoft (don´t have a fit, that´s just an example), wouldn´t Rockstar release it on the 360 too?
With that logic then MGS IV would have went to the 360 since the PS3 was in even worse shape back when development on that began. As far as the Agent, nope, not if there is a legal agreement between Sony and Rockstar detailing exclusivity of the game. Sony had timed exclusivity of the GTA games and traded GTA IV for this title The Agent probably will go to the 360 eventually but that wont happen until the deal with Sony expires. It wont launch same day with it. I dont think Rockstar will mention anything in regards to the 360 until a few months after they release it on the PS3

If Agent really does become GTA level, it probably will go the 360 eventually. I just don't see it happening until atleast 1 year after it's launch on the PS3. Same way with the GTA4 DLC on 360. Microsoft paid for exclusitivity, and they got that. Eventually it will probably go to the PS3, but not until that contract allows them to.
Exactly. At least a year seems more likely. Launch day? Not so much

Isildur´s Heir;17026335 said:

So you're saying that Rockstar should put the game on the Wii then?

Exactly. At least a year seems more likely. Launch day? Not so much

Yeah, it will most likely end up timed. That's usually what a 3rd party exclusive means nowadays

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"