Comics Spiderman is the reason I quit Marvel.

Flash-er

Civilian
Reaction score
Just noticed that I don't have a whole lot of time to get into it now, but for the past few years they have something happen that's suppose to "change his life forever" then the event happens, and they completely ignore it within two issues. Gwen had Norman's love babies! Alright, that sucked in general. Spiderman dies! Then comes back... that was nice. Okay, We'll expose his identity! Woah, really screwed the pooch there. Okay, here goes.... we'll have him make a deal with the devil to erase it all and he'll be single again! Um... kay. yeah, now it appears that MJ is a supervillian and obviously future love interest. I thought they did this? Wasn't she called Felicia? Anybody out there agree or am I just going to get pelted with childish hate responses?

About half the people you talk to will say that they hate what's been done. I'm in the half. Half of the people read the book no matter what happens...bad or good. Then hald of the people who hate what's happened are still reading it because they like what's happening right NOW.

No, you're not alone....although I think dropping all of your Marvel titles is a bit too far. I mean, Punisher, Captain America, Daredevil, Criminal, Avengers:The Initiative, and Amazing Spider-Girl all rock. Not to mention the upcoming Millar/Hitch run on Fantastic Four.

Still, it's your perogative.

Anybody out there agree or am I just going to get pelted with childish hate responses?
No, you're right. It's a crappy amount of respect for the readers. We get invested in something, only to have it "never have happened".

It also shows a frighteningly tiny amount of foresight in editors. This is the most troubling. It really shows they have no idea what they want to do.

Another thing it does is make the readers not buy into any future event you do. After reading BND I was pissed because they changed everything. Now, I"m annoyed because I KNOW they are going to change it back. You'd have to be stupid NOT to.

More power to ya, Flash-er.

I dropped the Spider-Man comics back when Peter thought it was a good idea to unmask himself to the world. That was the final straw for me.

I think dropping all of Marvel is a bit drastic. Marvel is on a hotstreak right now with most of their books, and there are a lot of under-the-radar books that are just as good.

I actually agree with Blader here.

I think dropping ALL of Marvel is drastic...just because Spidey has been crapped on. I've just stopped buying (current) Spidey stuff.

But, to each their own. Buy whatever you like or enjoy or whatever.

Just noticed that I don't have a whole lot of time to get into it now, but for the past few years they have something happen that's suppose to "change his life forever" then the event happens, and they completely ignore it within two issues. Gwen had Norman's love babies! Alright, that sucked in general. Spiderman dies! Then comes back... that was nice. Okay, We'll expose his identity! Woah, really screwed the pooch there. Okay, here goes.... we'll have him make a deal with the devil to erase it all and he'll be single again! Um... kay. yeah, now it appears that MJ is a supervillian and obviously future love interest. I thought they did this? Wasn't she called Felicia? Anybody out there agree or am I just going to get pelted with childish hate responses?

I could pelt you with childish repsonses... but my parents taught me to be kind to dumb animals.

:woot: :woot: :woot:

The bottom line is that you should buy comics that you enjoy, whether it's Spider-Man or TMNT or Archie, and let others enjoy whatever they want to read.

:yay:

I could pelt you with childish repsonses... but my parents taught me to be kind to dumb animals.

:woot: :woot: :woot:

The bottom line is that you should buy comics that you enjoy, whether it's Spider-Man or TMNT or Archie, and let others enjoy whatever they want to read.

Aloha,
Organics suck. That was a cry many of us had 8 years ago. I still have it up on my web site.Although now I'll have to take it down. I fully understand why some peole will not be buying Spider-Man again even if Lee and Ditko themselves returned.And since this is a forum for fans to state their opinions, I'll never take the postition that they shouldn't. Fact of the matter is-Brand New Day is here. Either folks boycott Amazing or enjoy it when they feel it's written and drawn well. Before OMD most people felt that Slott on Spidey was great. That they can't get past OMD to enjoy Slott,Guggenheim and others, is unfortunate, but, it's their time and money.Before Sins Past, many people enjoyed JMS but then he became a demon.Organics Suck and always will, but it did not prevent me from enjoying the other aspects of the 3 movies or of Spidey comics. With the star line up of both writers and artists on Amazing, I can only hope that some fans will have the pleasure of enjoying the other aspects of Spidey that are to their liking.
Spidey rules

You should give it a try... If you don't like it, well... you don't; if you do, then... you do... I tried BND... It seemed like a good read, but I'm not buying for one simple reason... It insults my intelligence... Had Mephisto's retcon erased my mind and altered my old comics, THEN I'd be praising BND like it was a godsend or something like that... The bitter aftertaste of OMD reples me even more, than Civil War, Sins Past and the Other did... I did drop All the Marvel books (Back when SP showed its ugly face) for a couple of reason: My local CB shop stopped carrying Spider-girl, and I had to vote with my wallet...

If I wanted to read 70s Spidey... I'd read the back issues or something...

I've read thousands of Spider-Man comics over the last 15 years or so, including all of the ones from the past year that had life-altering changes after life-altering changes...but I guess I somehow missed the one where Spider-Man dropped his hyphen. ;) :oldrazz:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've read thousands of Spider-Man comics over the last 15 years or so, including all of the ones from the past year that had life-altering changes after life-altering changes...but I guess I somehow missed the one where Spider-Man dropped his hyphen.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha.... :woot: :woot: :woot:

Brilliant... :woot: :woot:

Drop Marvel? I won't be doing that at all.

Dropping Spidey (when the UK catches up to the US)? Quite possible.

What's transpired over OMD/BND is disgusting I actually liked the idea of the unmasking and its possible potential. But telling me everything I've read over the last few years (and will continue to read for the next few as the UK collectors editions catch) is now meaningless is utterly disgusting.

Even worse, its a mess, was done for the wrong reasons.

Is this OMD/BND stuff really that bad? Ive got Marvel heads talking about switchin to DC because of it. As a DC person stuck with things with Countdown, Im baffled by there desperation lol

Is this OMD/BND stuff really that bad?

No, it's not. (Well, most people seem to think OMD was.) The people who are reading BND like it a lot. If you're one of these people who think that Marvel/DC are personally out to get you, you probably won't.

No, it's not. (Well, most people seem to think OMD was.) The people who are reading BND like it a lot. If you're one of these people who think that Marvel/DC are personally out to get you, you probably won't.

I hear this statement often and it leads me to wonder what myself, Dragon, Shinlyle and Farmernudie are if we're not "people"??....it's like people who enjoy BND can only assume people who don't enjoy it, can't be reading it?:huh:

I quit Marvel too! I'm selling all my Spider-man comics. I have a bunch too. I wouldn't be selling them all if it weren't for financial reasons. If you guys are looking for back issues galore (2 for 99 cents). Look at my auctions.
Snowchicken515 is my ebay tag name. Here's my store website
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsnowchicken515

Please check them out, it might help you Spider-man fans fill in the gaps in your collection.

http:// search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsnowchicken515

lol@ quitting Marvel over one storyline (well, that and if you dissapointed with Civil War, Cap's capping, WWH, The Initiative etc.)

I don't think it's just ONE storyline...(If we're talking about OMD here) it's mostly the principles behind the story...
We have Peter Parker... The guy who carries the Great Power/Great Responsibility motto as his reason to fight crime. He blindly followed IronMan's advice and that got him on the run and Aunt May got shot... He proceeds to make a deal with the Devil (or a high-level Demon who enjoys pretending to be the Biblical Devil) in order to cure aunt May... all he gave in exchange was his marriage to MJ... Oh yeah! As a Bonus the Devil revived Harry Osborn and erased the Unmasking... Storywise this is a big bad Reset Buttton Deus (Or should I say Diabolos) ex Machina.

We've had the EIC spreading the word regarding his dislike of the Watson-Parker marriage. He's said something that the stories led up to OMD... In other words the Spidey writers were steering the story towards a deal with the devil, because divorce is bad...

Now we have a mid twenties, unemployed Peter who lives with Aunt May, who can date countless girls but those relationships won't go any farther than that because the EIC thinks that a married Spidey= BAD! The past twenty something years of spidey history are in murky waters because of the Mephisto retcon... which creates a buttload of loop-holes, just cause Divorce is Bad...

I don't think it's just ONE storyline...(If we're talking about OMD here) it's mostly the principles behind the story...
We have Peter Parker... The guy who carries the Great Power/Great Responsibility motto as his reason to fight crime. He blindly followed IronMan's advice and that got him on the run and Aunt May got shot... He proceeds to make a deal with the Devil (or a high-level Demon who enjoys pretending to be the Biblical Devil) in order to cure aunt May... all he gave in exchange was his marriage to MJ... Oh yeah! As a Bonus the Devil revived Harry Osborn and erased the Unmasking... Storywise this is a big bad Reset Buttton Deus (Or should I say Diabolos) ex Machina.

We've had the EIC spreading the word regarding his dislike of the Watson-Parker marriage. He's said something that the stories led up to OMD... In other words the Spidey writers were steering the story towards a deal with the devil, because divorce is bad...

Now we have a mid twenties, unemployed Peter who lives with Aunt May, who can date countless girls but those relationships won't go any farther than that because the EIC thinks that a married Spidey= BAD! The past twenty something years of spidey history are in murky waters because of the Mephisto retcon... which creates a buttload of loop-holes, just cause Divorce is Bad...

Such is the complicated nature of long running superheroe/comic book mythology that things have to be reset to maintain the status quo ( as I DC I have to endure this "crisis" of creativity a lot more than usual)

But your right, that whole storyline seems a bit off-putting. Guess I'll have to read it one day and see if its at least a decent story.

I hear this statement often and it leads me to wonder what myself, Dragon, Shinlyle and Farmernudie are if we're not "people"??....it's like people who enjoy BND can only assume people who don't enjoy it, can't be reading it?:huh:

Well, now you know how I feel when I hear people say that everybody hates BND.

And let's be honest, some of the people you mentioned are reading for the sole purpose of gathering ammunition. I don't consider it reading when you already have an agenda in mind. And there's a biiiiig difference between flipping through it in the store and sitting down at home and reading it. When I say "reading", I mean buying. If you're buying it, I retract my statement.

I quit reading regularly with Sins Past but now with OMD and BND, I've dropped all together. Not until the mess is fixed and probably not even then will I pick up an ew Spidey issue.

It feels fine, the world keeps ticking. Others should try it.

Well, now you know how I feel when I hear people say that everybody hates BND.

And let's be honest, some of the people you mentioned are reading for the sole purpose of gathering ammunition. I don't consider it reading when you already have an agenda in mind. And there's a biiiiig difference between flipping through it in the store and sitting down at home and reading it. When I say "reading", I mean buying. If you're buying it, I retract my statement.

Well, I actually read it hoping to be convinced into buying again. I'm not totally against change, or anything. I just haven't been wowed enough to come back yet. If some story I read (and I've read all the issues in the shop, not just "flipped through" them) really struck a chord with me, I'd buy again. I'm just not moved by it, right now. And, yes, the stench of OMD and the loss of the marriage doesn't help my acclimation to the new direction.

As I've said, I have nothing against anyone who reads BND. The stories aren't bad...I just don't think they're great. Also, when you tell me Steve McNiven, Dan Slott, Marc Guggenheim, and a slew of other talent is on a book, it should be great.

Well, I actually read it hoping to be convinced into buying again. I'm not totally against change, or anything. I just haven't been wowed enough to come back yet. If some story I read (and I've read all the issues in the shop, not just "flipped through" them) really struck a chord with me, I'd buy again. I'm just not moved by it, right now. And, yes, the stench of OMD and the loss of the marriage doesn't help my acclimation to the new direction.

As I've said, I have nothing against anyone who reads BND. The stories aren't bad...I just don't think they're great. Also, when you tell me Steve McNiven, Dan Slott, Marc Guggenheim, and a slew of other talent is on a book, it should be great.

Which is why I said "some" and not all. :)

I don't mind someone who tried it and said no thanks. Or just said no thanks. It's a pretty bitter pill to swallow. But I do think some of those names mentioned (and others) just have an axe to grind. You could be producing the next Watchmen, and they are already dead set against it. Which is fine. I just don't think they should pass it off as "giving it a chance." Because they're not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"