Spielberg committed to Robopocalypse!

green

fear is the mind killer
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/steven-spielberg-commits-to-direct-robopocalypse/
EXCLUSIVE: Steven Spielberg has committed to next direct Robopocalypse, a Drew Goddard-scripted adaptation of the Daniel H. Wilson epic novel about the human race's attempt to survive an apocalyptic robot uprising. Deadline broke the story that Spielberg was eyeing the novel as a directing vehicle last March, before he instead chose War Horse as the first film he directed for DreamWorks since Spielberg and Stacey Snider left Paramount and made a deal with Reliance and a distribution deal at Disney. At that time, the novel wasn'tfinished, but Spielberg was so excited about it that it was already being storyboarded and designed as Wilson was turning in pages of the book and Goddard was translating them into the screenplay. Spielberg will start shooting in January, 2012 and Disney's Touchstone will distribute in 2013. It puts Spielberg back into the large scale terrain that is important in his relationship with Reliance, because it is the kind of movie that can succeed on a global tent pole scale. Spielberg has two pictures he directed that are in post-production, Tin Tin: The Secret of the Unicorn will be distributed in the U.S. on December 28, 2011 with War Horse following 5 days later. This might seem like a lot of action for one director, but remember, this is Steven Spielberg, and he has multi-tasked successfully before. Like when he shot Jurassic Park and then moved directly into Schindler's List. He turned out a summer blockbuster, followed later in 1993 by the film that won the Academy Award for Best Picture.

"Robopocalypse embodies an imaginative story of a robot rebellion unleashed against the human race," said Mark Sourian, who's announcing the project with his co-prexy Holly Bario. "This is a project we immediately sparked to and with Steven directing it we knew it was in the best possible hands to bring it to worldwide audiences."

Doubleday will publish the book June, 2011. Wilson is hot stuff, in the kind of hi-tech scifi terrain that was the domain of Michael Crichton. His rep, Justin Manask, is preparing to shop his next book, AMP, which is a near-future science fiction thriller set in a world where the technology to make the disabled whole, turns them into supermen. That book will also be published by Doubleday, with 120 pages done so far. This one is being eyed for summer, 2012.

I searched for a thread on this but couldnt find one...Im sure there was though.

Hopefully it will be alot better. If that film is about robots beginning to uprise, this is the aftermath of things.

AKA how possibly Terminator Salvation should have turned out.

:dry::dry::dry:

So instead of Lincoln, Interstellar, or Pirate Latitudes we get this ****? uhhhh

Eh, when Spielberg is going to be directing something, these days he nearly never does it. I can't seem him doing this to be honest. It's just one of his various prjects that are lined up.

I'm still holding on for a Lincoln film.

:dry::dry::dry:

So instead of Lincoln, Interstellar, or Pirate Latitudes we get this ****? uhhhh

I'm with you on this, any of those would have been great. But this just sounds contrived and boring. The whole concept has been beat to death already. I mean, is anybody actually excited for this?

Not really. First War Horse (which I won't completely dismiss as it could wind up promising) and now this.

These days I don't believe Spielberg is actually doing a movie until he's physically behind a camera directing it.

I have an issue with the title. It just sounds like a toy line.

I'm up for any Spielberg sci-fi/action movie but does have to have such a ****ing stupid title?

These days I don't believe Spielberg is actually doing a movie until he's physically behind a camera directing it.

I feel the same way with a lot of directors these days. Ridley Scott being another prime example. It seems like every three months there's an announcement of his next directorial effort, with very few of them actually panning out.

I feel the same way with a lot of directors these days. Ridley Scott being another prime example. It seems like every three months there's an announcement of his next directorial effort, with very few of them actually panning out.

In this Internet-era we live in it's no wonder, considering how all kind of rumors constantly are popping up everywhere. :)

I like the sound of this for Spielberg. :up:

people only want intersellar because of the writer

True, my guess is Spielberg is holding that one off due to it's "One man on a space ship" premise being close to Gravity. Personally I'm not interested in a Lincoln movie and there is one under way already.

I'm with you on this, any of those would have been great. But this just sounds contrived and boring. The whole concept has been beat to death already. I mean, is anybody actually excited for this?
I am. Spielberg always belonged in sci-fi and it would be nice to see how he handles a full-blown invasion not centering around a family unit. Regardless of how contrived a plot synopsis sounds, there hasn't been a single solid, apocalyptic, robot invasion thriller. Aside from I, Robot and Terminator Salvation it's a barren void that could use a jumpstart.

If he wants to do a Lincoln movie, he should do the Vampire Hunter book with Liam Neeson in the lead. That would be awesome.

Amazon finally has a description for the book up, which isnt released until June. Who knows how closely it'll follow but...

In the near future, at a moment no one will notice, all the dazzling technology that runs our world will unite and turn against us. Taking on the persona of a shy human boy, a childlike but massively powerful artificial intelligence known as Archos comes online and assumes control over the global network of machines that regulate everything from transportation to utilities, defense and communication. In the months leading up to this, sporadic glitches are noticed by a handful of unconnected humans – a single mother disconcerted by her daughter’s menacing “smart” toys, a lonely Japanese bachelor who is victimized by his domestic robot companion, an isolated U.S. soldier who witnesses a ‘pacification unit’ go haywire – but most are unaware of the growing rebellion until it is too late.

When the Robot War ignites -- at a moment known later as Zero Hour -- humankind will be both decimated and, possibly, for the first time in history, united. Robopocalypse is a brilliantly conceived action-filled epic, a terrifying story with heart-stopping implications for the real technology all around us…and an entertaining and engaging thriller unlike anything else written in years.

This sounds like it could be cool, but I wouldn't be surprised if it either never happens or is done by a different director, seeing as Spielberg has countless other projects lined up for him as of late. It seems everyday a new movie he's attached to direct gets announced.

"a lonely Japanese bachelor who is victimized by his domestic robot companion"

...Robot rape? :(

DreamWorks and Fox To Team-Up For Steven Spielberg's 'Robopocalypse'

EXCLUSIVE: Steven Spielberg’s next film is so big, it needs two studios. DreamWorks and Fox are near a deal to co-finance Robopocalypse, a Drew Goddard-scripted adaptation of the Daniel H. Wilson epic novel about the human race’s attempt to survive an apocalyptic robot uprising. I’m told that Disney will release domestically and Fox will distribute the film overseas.

Deadline broke the story that Spielberg was eyeing the novel as a directing vehicle, before he instead chose War Horse as the first film he directed for DreamWorks since Spielberg and Stacey Snider left Paramount and made a deal with Reliance and a distribution deal at Disney. We also revealed last October that he had committed to direct it. Doubleday published the book in June.

Fox and DreamWorks previously tried to get together back in 2009 on Harvey, where Spielberg was going to direct an adaptation of Mary Chase’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play about a man who befriends a six-and-a-half-foot-tall invisible rabbit. Spielberg finally withdrew from that film partly because it was so difficult to find the right actor to play Elwood P. Dowd, the character originated by James Stewart in the 1950 film. Now, the studios have a Spielberg project they can team on.

Source

I'm interested to see this, not only because it's a Spielberg film, but also because it will be his first sci-fi movie since 2005's War of the Worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"