Monsterpocalypse...with Tim Burton?

Call Me Darkman

He's a Freak!
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/are...s-plotting-movie-version-of-monsterpocalypse/

EXCLUSIVE: Just because Tim Burton is heading the jury at the 63rd Cannes Film Festival doesn't mean business stops. I'm hearing that DreamWorks has just acquired the screen rights to Monsterpocalypse, and they are already making overtures to Burton to be the creative catalyst. Talks are early stage, and right now only game creator Matt Wilson is attached to be co-producer. Monsterpocalypse is a kaiju-themed collectible miniatures game. It's a board game that involves battles against a variety of enemy monsters that take place in a metropolis filled with buildings. Interestingly, DreamWorks is also developing a film based on the Daniel H. Wilson robot attack novel Robopocalypse, which is being adapted by Cloverfield's Drew Goddard as a possible directing vehicle for Steven Spielberg. DreamWorks has several apocalyptic scenarios covered.

It was just confirmed that he will direct this, and John August will write it. I haven't played the game lately, but the concept will be pretty cool. Alien monsters come to Earth, we build giant robots that are controlled by military pilots and crew to fight them.

I would rather Burton do Metalocalypse.

What the heck is Monsterpocalypse? Well its Tim Burton, so I will be watching!

ohhh thank you. Burton again doing an ''original'' movie.

bump! i'm a huge kaiju fan, so if this is as big an homage to the genre as Mars Attacks! and Ed wood were to 1950's sci fi i'll be there. definitely looking forward to this.

'Monsterpocalypse' Movie Has Studios in Bidding War (Exclusive)
'Monsterpocalypse' is a board game that pits humans in robot suits against monsters.
Fede Alvarez is attached to direct and co-write the project.

Borys Kit said:
Hollywood is hoping that Monsterpocalypse, the board game from Privateer Press, is the next big franchise.

A bidding war is underway to acquire the movie rights to the game with a package that includes filmmaker Fede Alvarez, who directed 2013’s Evil Dead remake, to helm the project and to pen the screenplay with his writing partner Rodo Sayagues.

Warner Bros., DreamWorks and Sony are in on the action, according to sources, who also say a fourth studio may be joining the fray.

Monsterpocalypse is a board game that pits humans in robot suits against monsters. An adaptation was previously attempted around 2010 with a package that included Tim Burton as director and John August as screenwriter. It stalled in development after Guillermo del Toro made his own humans-in-robot-suits-against-monsters, 2013’s Pacific Rim.

Sources say that the new package has a take that is substantially different than the previous iteration, let alone Rim, although the core concept — humans versus monsters — remains.

A deal could happen as early as the end of the week but also cautions not to count the monsters until their hatched.

Alvarez is fitful choice for the material as he has shown a passion for not only monsters and horror but robots as well; his breakthrough debut was the popular short, Panic Attack!, which featured giant robots attacking the South American city of Montevideo.

Last edited:
WAS a miniature game. Which ended due to Privateer Press not reading the fine print when they sold the rights. I really wanted that last expansion of fusion monsters.

As bitter as I am over this movie, I do welcome more Kaiju movies.

Fede Alvarez, you say?

Warner Bros. Nabbing 'Monsterpocalypse' Movie Rights in Bidding War (Exclusive)
Fede Alvarez, who directed the remake of 'Evil Dead,' is attached to co-write and helm the adaptation of the board game.
Borys Kit said:
Warner Bros has won the heated bidding war for the adaptation of Monsterpocalypse, the cult board game, with Fede Alvarez, helmer of the Evil Dead remake, attached to co-write and direct.

The package for the project hit the town last week and quickly generated interest and bids from studios, including DreamWorks and Sony on top of Warners. The bidding escalated quickly, hitting at least the mid-six figures against seven figures for just the rights and writing alone. Warners is now in negotiations for the package.

Monsterpocalypse is a board game from Privateer Press and created by Matt Wilson that pits humans in robot suits against monsters. An adaptation was previously attempted around 2010 with a package that included Tim Burton as director and John August as screenwriter. It stalled in development after Crimson Peak filmmaker Guillermo del Toro made a competing humans-in-robot-suits-against-monsters, 2013’s Pacific Rim.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the new package has a take that is substantially different from that of the previous iteration, as well as Rim's, although the core concept — humans versus monsters — remains.

Alvarez will write the screenplay with his writing partner Rodo Sayagues.

Alvarez demonstrated a passion for the material with his regular works in the horror and robot subgenres. He made his breakthrough debut with the popular short Panic Attack!, which featured giant robots attacking the South American city of Montevideo, which led to his directing 2013’s remake of Evil Dead. His latest, Don’t Breathe, is a horror movie that Screen Gems will release Aug. 26.

Alvarez is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and Jackoway Tyerman. Wilson is repped by Stone Genow and Heitmann Entertainment.

These Monsters in The Movie DAmn
monsterpocalypse_now_wallpaper_by_squidtentacle.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"