Spielberg to Direct Autobiographical Childhood Film

Wow, Dano looks like older Spielberg there. Just going by that poster you know this is going to be good.
Hell, the kid playing "Steven" looks uncannily like a younger version him in that top middle frame.

Also, I can't unhear this when I look at the top right corner of the poster:

How tf has Judd Hirsch not aged in 25 years? He was playing Goldblum’s dad in Independence Day, now they look the same age.

I'm not sure about the trend of popular directors making quasi-autobiographical movies about themselves like Roma and Belfast.

The Fabelmans looks good -- and critics are in love with it as expected -- I just get a sense of "been there done that" with Spielberg.

It looks too schmaltzy for me. Like Williams is gunning for the Oscar nomination by being the free spirit against Dano’s uptight father figure

I’m sure the festivals will eat this up. Anytime you make a movie about the “magic of movies”, it just comes off as patting yourself on the back (industry wise).

I’m sure the festivals will eat this up. Anytime you make a movie about the “magic of movies”, it just comes off as patting yourself on the back (industry wise).
Yeap. Kind of gives me The Majestic vibes

It looks too schmaltzy for me. Like Williams is gunning for the Oscar nomination by being the free spirit against Dano’s uptight father figure

Critics are especially eating up Michelle Williams' performance. She can do no wrong in my book, even with Oz and the Venom movies. So I'll see it for her, if nothing else.

Dano is... the typical absent or well-meaning-but-uptight Spielberg daddy figure.

This looks great and I'm curious to see if it gets Spielberg another Best Picture Oscar.

This looks every bit as good as expected. Can't wait, and nice to see at least one of the early front-runners proving to be pretty universally loved. (I still have my doubts on Babylon) Dano's role seems pretty under-stated, though, so I'm not super confident on him being a frontrunner now. But Williams is going to take this to the bank.

Lots of praise for Judd Hirsch, and I'm all-but certain now that David Lynch is playing...

John Ford

It’ll wait and see with this one. I haven’t liked a Spielberg movie since Minority Report. Granted I haven’t seen quite a few like Bridge of Spies or Lincoln, but I’m hopeful that this will be good. If nothing else I’ll love Lynch’s small role.

''If you stop making movies, it will break your mother's heart.''

I can appreciate the balls on Spielberg to write that narcissistic line about himself. Still, this aint for me. This does seem like a best picture winner for better or worse. Babylon is the rated R version of this and instead of showing the magic of making movies, it shows mostly the darkness.

...love the hype/exposure Dano is getting this year - he's always been an indie darling, us film freaks love him. Yet, its so great to see him going next level without changing his style/acting ethics as The Riddle and now as "Papa Spielberg" in this.

Critics are especially eating up Michelle Williams' performance. She can do no wrong in my book, even with Oz and the Venom movies. So I'll see it for her, if nothing else.

Dano is... the typical absent or well-meaning-but-uptight Spielberg daddy figure.
Never been a fan of MW’s acting. It’s always this breathless, thousand yard stare delivery.

Lots of cynicism in this thread lol

I think this looks brilliant, and Spielberg has the right to tell his own story. He’s only got a few movies left and he’s still working at 100. This could be his 8 1/2 or All That Jazz.

Lots of cynicism in this thread lol

I think this looks brilliant, and Spielberg has the right to tell his own story. He’s only got a few movies left and he’s still working at 100. This could be his 8 1/2 or All That Jazz.
I'd even make the argument that out of all the living directors besides maybe Scorsese, Spielberg is the one who's most earned that right.

So this is out today in select theaters. Shocking that there has been ZERO marketing for it besides 1 trailer

Just got home from this. No doubt in my mind that this is one of Spielberg's finest films. It was absolutely lovely.

Hit very close to home for me a few times, so I was emotional quite a bit.

I'm looking forward to seeing this but I'm not sure if I'll have the time this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"