• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Spike Lee To Direct 'Oldboy' remake

eeeeh. Oldboy is INTENSE. Probably one the best movies i've ever seen in a long while. Best fight sequence too.

I hate remakes. Spielberg or not, just stop already. They're going to change alot of it too, i just know it.

Despite this being one of the worst ideas for a remake I've ever heard, my morbid curiosity makes me kind of want to see this film. I'd like to know if Spielberg is capable of really going THAT dark.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995429.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Spielberg, Smith in talks for 'Oldboy'
Pair may kidnap remake of Korean drama
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are in early discussions to collaborate on a remake of Chan Wook-park's "Oldboy." DreamWorks is in the process of securing the remake rights, and the new pic will be distributed by Universal.

In the 2003 Korean original, a man gets kidnapped and held in a shabby cell for 15 years without explanation. Suddenly, he's released and given money, a cell phone and clothes and is set on a path to discover who destroyed his life so he can take revenge.

Spielberg had been looking for an opportunity to make a film with Smith, who would play the kidnapped man if all the pieces fall into place. Spielberg is looking for a writer to begin the development process.

The film was originally set at U and then found its way to Mandate.

Spielberg is next expected to direct "Tintin."

Whoooooaaa. I don't know, it's tough to judge this. Spielberg and Smith are top-notch people in their field. But Oldboy is a damn ballsy movie. And I'm not so sure a remake would have the same cajones to do the original justice.

I'm hoping they do though. I saw it for the first time this year, and it blew me away. Crossing my fingers they pull a Scorsese and end up honoring the original while crafting a Western flavor. Whatever the case, this specific story needs to be seen by all audiences. A Hollywood film is just the right push to get a bigger viewership.

"Well, I have a secret to tell you..."

"AWWWWWWWWWW HELL NAW!"

It's gotta be fake news. Speilberg and Smith is the combination for a block buster though. Instead of them butchering an existing film, let them make a Sci-Fi flick or something.

But OLDBOY is such a shocking movie; it's an anti-mainstream blockbuster film that I can't see this happening. It'll be in development Hell forever.

Like I said, the news has to be fake. Maybe Smith and Speilberg are planning something else and intentionally leaked the fake Oldboy news to throw off reporters?

PFft! If they do it, it will be one of the worst remakes ever, I dont even see why they need to remake it the film on its out is amazing.

Why a need for a remake the film is only 5 years old for **** sake.

Why a remake ? That question is so often asked but when it's about a movie that most US audiences wont see due to subtitles I don't see the big deal.

If there is a great story to tell you get it out for as many people to enjoy as possible, it's no different to translating a great book into a number of languages.

Now as for the remake in question, Oldboy is visually amazing and has a killer twist, however given Ive already seen the movie i am not sure I'd want to see it again now i know said twist. Of course there is a HUGE doubt that they would keep the original twist and without it i don't see the point, the combo of Spielberg and Smith is an odd one for this material, i figured they'd hook up on a movie eventually but i expected lighter summer fare.

블라스;15932301 said:
I love Spielberg, but they will never have the balls to do the same ending.

Aaaawww hell naw they wouldn't.

If this happens it would be the most interesting thing to happen in a long time. I don't think that the movie should be made because I think that Hollywood would tone it down and the movie is interesting because it is shocking. I will only semi accept it if Smith and Spielberg keep all of the shocking aspects of the original.

And what exactly is taking them so long to work together?

Last edited:
Wow, that's kinda, out of nowhere. I don't think they have the balls to do it faithfully. If they don't, then they just shouldn't bother.

If this happens it would be the most interesting thing to happen in a long time. I don't think that the movie should be made because I think that Hollywood would tone it down and the movie is interesting because it is shocking. I will only semi excepted if Smith and Spielberg keep all of the shocking aspects of the original.

And what exactly is taking them so long to work together?

Eh, outside of the over-top gratuitous violence and the ridiculous ending its perfectly fine... Spielberg would probably make a better film to be honest, the only thing that worries me is Will Smith who annoys me now :(

Having rewatched War of the Worlds recently (what can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment)... No f***in way Spielberg would keep that ending.

Spielberg made Schindler's List, saving private ryan, and munich. Three films that may not be as preverted or whatever as oldboy, but I find all three much more unsettling especially
the slow knife stab in saving private ryan ,fiennes going target practice on his balcony in schindler's list, and the murder of the female assassin in Munich

if they aren't gonna go balls out with this movie then they either need to keep it in their pants or just make a movie INSPIRED by Oldboy.

the chris said:
Spielberg made Schindler's List, saving private ryan, and munich. Three films that may not be as preverted or whatever as oldboy, but I find all three much more unsettling especially

I don't know man, [blackout]finding out you've been doing your daughter is pretty out there.[/blackout]

Plus, it they're gonna do that hallway fight, they gotta do it exactly the same. One continuous shot, going down that hallway. That was really just the most awesome part of that whole movie. That and the ending.

Sense this makes none.

Sense this makes none.
Seriously, this movie is not even a decade old, it does not need a remake in anyway, shape, or form. Chan wook-Park crafted a modern master piece and it sucks that a-holes out there won't watch it simply because they have to read subtitles. :dry:

Will Smith I love you dude, but not even your blockbuster factor can make this remake work.

No. No. No. :csad:

Well, it's a foreign film, and they remake those all the time. No matter the time restraints. Usually dumbed down for the American audiences. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"