• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

F/X houses being run to the ground by big releases!

Some day all movies will just be done in computer.

Didn't read the article, but if it's generally about what I think it's about. Not surprised. This whole summer effects houses seemed to have worked overtime.

I mean- even look at some of the trailers for Oceans 13!!! All of those cool fancy number effects type things over people's heads.

They must really be working over time and deserve ALOT of credit. Sure, we can see this as the summer with alot of blockbusters- but, these effects guys... wow, defiinitely deserve all the credit they can get.

ILM for example, must have three or more movies it's working on coming out THIS summer probably- maybe even more than that. So, yeah- I'd imagine they do feel like Blockbusters are weighing down on them, especially this summer.

Some day all movies will just be done in computer.

You see if everyone in Hollywood was like George Lucas that would be true.

But there are still good directors in this world that don't need 5000 CG shots to make a good film, people like the amazing Martin Scorsese. People like the ones who win best directing Oscars.

You see if everyone in Hollywood was like George Lucas that would be true.

But there are still good directors in this world that don't need 5000 CG shots to make a good film, people like the amazing Martin Scorsese. People like the ones who win best directing Oscars.

Not only Martin Scorsese, but also Christopher Nolan, Spike Jonze and Paul T. Anderson ;)

Some will retain the old ways, but the world of film's changing at a rapid rate...

the great dilema with cgi is what will the end result be of achieving fully photo realistic cgi? Will everything just be a cartoon in the future? That's why I like guys like tony Jaa who do things old school.

In regards to CGI vs. Practical effects:

Michael Bay.

Jon Favreau.

Regardless of your ideas about Bay, I've heard that he's the type of director that aims to get EVERYTHING possible done for real on the set and then when needed go to the CGI. For instance, if I remember correctly there was an interview during which Bay would try to get as much done (effects wise) for Transformers as humanly possible.

Same applies to Favreau's approach to action- which is why I was more than thrilled to see his name attached to Iron Man, see the behind the scenes for the film Zathura. In anyone else's hands Iron Man would have become completely CGI- but, with Favreau at helm, I have a feeling a lot of it will be practical and 'old school'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"