Splinter Cell: ConViction

ChrisBaleBatman

Legendary Hero
Reaction score
So...Gamespot just posted this in they're news section:

One game that will not be contributing to that growth will be the oft-delayed Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction. As part of its financial report, the publisher noted that Sam Fisher's next excursion has once again stalled. Ubisoft now expects the game to arrive during its 2009-2010 fiscal year, which runs from April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010.

sigh....so, apart from the possiblity of losing Michael Ironside...we've gotta wait even longer.

The game looked good but I see it being totally re-done just like Dark Sector, which sucked.

The only Splinter Cell game I really enjoyed was the first one. Since then they (along with every other Tom Clancy series) have gotten more and more off track, unfortunately.

I dunno about that.

I certainly think that Pandora Tomorrow and the 360 version of Double Agent veered off track in they're own ways.

But Chaos Theory and the XBOX version of Double Agent certainly kept that concept in the forefront.

I'm confused by ConViction, really. Because...we have no idea what we're getting. From everything we've seen...which is practically nothing but a 15 minute demo play of a level...it could be a free roam game or just and action game....I dunno.

I dunno about that.

I certainly think that Pandora Tomorrow and the 360 version of Double Agent veered off track in they're own ways.

But Chaos Theory and the XBOX version of Double Agent certainly kept that concept in the forefront.

I'm confused by ConViction, really. Because...we have no idea what we're getting. From everything we've seen...which is practically nothing but a 15 minute demo play of a level...it could be a free roam game or just and action game....I dunno.

Apparently they've abandoned the hide in plain sight concept after seeing Assassin's Creed and are going back to the old formula. Which is kinda disappointing the new concept might've been just what the franchise needed.

Yea i was kind of looking forward to this new take on the series, kinda had a "Jason Bourne" vibe to it, but at the same time, the last time the formula was "altered" we ended up with Double Agent and i hated Double Agent compared to SC, SC:pT and the fantastic SC:CT.

I love all the Splinter Cell games, this is disappointing.

I think storywise...Splinter Cell is as good as it's ever been, espeically with the ending to the XBOX version (seriously...I cannot stop gushing over that installment...the XBOX Double Agent version, very different from the 360 version).

I think that the franchise is at a crossroad right now, and they're not exactly sure which way to take it.

I didn't hate Double Agent for the 360...as gltichy to high hell as it was...and poorly written/paced storytelling...it was still a good game.

But as a Splinter Cell freak...the game certainly turned it's back on the "ideals" of what Splinter Cell is all about. I could have dealt with two or so levels in pure sunlight...but when that's the majority and the dark surroundings we're used to are in the minority...it's a problem for the diehards.

Them going back to the drawingboard does kinda disturb me, in the sense that they've been on this for more than just a while now. It could easily become a 2010 release date or even a 2011 release date.

Anyone digging the hobo look?

Personally...I want the spiky, gray on the sides look back.

Anyone digging the hobo look?

Personally...I want the spiky, gray on the sides look back.

I didnt mind it, because it seemed to fit with the "fugitive on the run" style gameplay they were going with.

I actually wanted them to move away from Sam Fisher. After playing the Co-Op from Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, i wanted a new story that had you playing as a new recruit(kind of like the 2 guys from the co-op) with Fisher as either a mentor or maybe like the new head of a Third Echelon type deal.

Speaking of the co-op from SC:CT, does anyone know if those servers still work? Id love to play some of that co-op but i doubt anyone even plays that game anymore, assuming the servers still run.

I loved how it seemed he was getting younger as the games progressed. LOL!

I'm actually on the other side of the fence.

I think they've focused way too much on the multiplayer, taking away from the single player...and essentially, Sam Fisher. Maybe I'm too old school, but I prefer a rich single-player deep story mode over and an excellent and addicting multiplayer.

And as of now, I think Sam Fisher IS Splinter Cell. I probably would have jumped overboard if they'd handed the franchise over the some..."young guy" rookie.

Would feel like deja vu all over again with the Raiden situation.

I do like Sam, mostly because Michael Ironside breathes life into the character.

No, I'm with you about single player.

I'm don't particularly care for Sam one way or another. I could actually do without him because these games are starting to feel less like "Splinter Cell" and more like "The Adventures of Sam Fisher".

And I'm beginning to think I'm the only Metal Gear fan on the planet who liked Raiden MGS2.

watched the IGN preview vids and this game looks dope.u

Splinter Cell IS the adventures of Sam Fisher.

I mean, there's no other reason to say it's not. He's the main character, and has been for every single game. He's the face of the franchise...because he is the franchise.

Now, if they change that at some later point...then it changes and Sam isn't the face of the franchise, and then it becomes something different entirely I think. But, when he's been featured in every game and novel as the protagonist...Splinter Cell is code for Adventures of Sam Fisher.

Porbably moreso than Metal Gear because the lead has been handed to different characters for certain games.

And I'm constantly shocked at how much most of my fellow MGS fans hate on Splinter Cell.

Splinter Cell IS the adventures of Sam Fisher.

I mean, there's no other reason to say it's not. He's the main character, and has been for every single game. He's the face of the franchise...because he is the franchise.

Now, if they change that at some later point...then it changes and Sam isn't the face of the franchise, and then it becomes something different entirely I think. But, when he's been featured in every game and novel as the protagonist...Splinter Cell is code for Adventures of Sam Fisher.

Porbably moreso than Metal Gear because the lead has been handed to different characters for certain games.

And I'm constantly shocked at how much most of my fellow MGS fans hate on Splinter Cell.

I'm a bit on the other side, iv always thought that the face of the Splinter Cell series has been its incredible stealth game play rather than one individual, which is why Fishers missions end up being not about him as much, but other elements unlike the Metal Gear games. I think if you want a true stealth title, you get Splinter Cell, iv ALWAYS thought Splinter Cell was by FAR a much better controlling game vs the Metal Gear series. Also, Sam Fisher has never really been fleshed out all that much, i mean we dont know a whole lot about him which i think would make it a much easier transition to another character unlike what we had with Snake to Raiden.

And as for Metal Gear fans hating on SC and vice versa, that just comes from some unexplainable, idiotic sense of loyalty, much like the incredibly stupid console rivalry.

^I couldn't agree more. For me Splinter Cell has never been about Sam Fisher. It's about a badass black ops secret agent (doesn't matter who) working his was through a foreign government building taking out guards, stealing intelligence, and doing it without being detected until it's far too late.

When I think of Splinter Cell I get one image in my mind and one image only; Some guy sitting in his office, at his computer late at night completely unaware of the "invisible" agent sitting in the dark corner of his office wondering if he should wait for the guy to get up and leave or just snap his neck right now.

I'm a bit on the other side, iv always thought that the face of the Splinter Cell series has been its incredible stealth game play rather than one individual, which is why Fishers missions end up being not about him as much, but other elements unlike the Metal Gear games. I think if you want a true stealth title, you get Splinter Cell, iv ALWAYS thought Splinter Cell was by FAR a much better controlling game vs the Metal Gear series. Also, Sam Fisher has never really been fleshed out all that much, i mean we dont know a whole lot about him which i think would make it a much easier transition to another character unlike what we had with Snake to Raiden.

Well, Sam's about as mysterious as Snake is. Although, we know more about his personal life.

Only thing is, the writing for Metal Gear has always been superb. The missions are ALWAYS personal.

Sam's missions are more realistic in the sense that he's just doing his job. Which is why I liked the Double Agent writing for the XBOX, where it did get personal for Sam in that game.

Whereas...really...the game story for Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory are all sorta bland compared to it, and MGS.

And as for Metal Gear fans hating on SC and vice versa, that just comes from some unexplainable, idiotic sense of loyalty, much like the incredibly stupid console rivalry.

Yep.

I think the there's a fear from Diehards that Splinter Cell is trying to drink from Metal Gear's kool aid. But, really...it's not. Quite shocking to think about it, that Metal Gear is the Godfather of stealth...it created the genre.

But Splinter Cell is the hardcore stealth game. Your really a ninja. Metal Gear is action-stealth, which let's be stealthy if you want to or not. Your choice, usually.

I couldn't agree more. For me Splinter Cell has never been about Sam Fisher. It's about a badass black ops secret agent (doesn't matter who) working his was through a foreign government building taking out guards, stealing intelligence, and doing it without being detected until it's far too late.

True. In the sense that Splinter Cell has never been ABOUT Sam Fisher...until Double Agent...and ConViction.

I gotta go back to Michael Ironside too. He's the one that makes Sam Fisher badass. Otherwise, I might as well play the game on mute.

Btw, I think it's interesting that now when the series decides to actually make the story about Sam...now is when we're hearing problems with the character and Ironside.

Really, if there ever was a chance to take Sam out...it was with ConViction, since he had his...err...disagreement with Third Echelon.

Would have been the perfect time for it, really. They could have dropped him and began a new story, with Sam having disgracefully left the agency...and a rather sad ending. They decided to go all the way with Sam on this, though, and now is when we hear that they might get rid of Ironside. Very strange, indeed.

I just want to know where this game is at in terms of development. I mean did they really "take it back to formula"??? It doesnt matter what type of game they give me, rather it be like the previous ones or be it a new Jason Bourne type "agent on the run" adventure, ill still pick it up. Iv been with this game from the start, actually its the reason i got my first Xbox.

Yup, with you on that.

I'm kinda lost with you too on where they are in development as well.

Because...taking it back to formula would essentially mean they've wasted the past couple of years for on a 15 minute demo video.

And makes you wonder about what they were thinking if it too them this long to figure out they ****ed up.

Nothing new....but whatever.

Teaser_ConViction_thumb-1-.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"