The Wolverine SPOILER ALERT: Anyone bothered by....

It's been too long since I read any of DOFP... and I don't know what changes will take place in the movie adaptation but that makes sense if it's correct when Wolverine got his adamantium. It's been a while since I saw Origins too so I can't remember the gap between when he got the adamantium and the 3 Mile incident either.

There isn't any, really. As soon as the bonding process is complete, Wolverine is on the run and the rest of the movie unfolds in quick succession.

That would mean the premise of the above post is impossible with the timeline being set up as it is.

I agree that pretty much he got his adamantium, escaped, hung out with the old people, they got shot, he went on the run and everything played out over the next couple of days.

But it really comes down to the 3 mile island issue. If, as most of us assumed, it was a cover-up for the fight and aftermath then yes, 1973 Wolverine still has bone claws. If they try to say that the 3 mile island incident had nothing to do with Wolverine's fight, then they could say that that battle was in 1971 or 1972 and the 1973 Wolvie could have adamantium.

I agree that pretty much he got his adamantium, escaped, hung out with the old people, they got shot, he went on the run and everything played out over the next couple of days.

But it really comes down to the 3 mile island issue. If, as most of us assumed, it was a cover-up for the fight and aftermath then yes, 1973 Wolverine still has bone claws. If they try to say that the 3 mile island incident had nothing to do with Wolverine's fight, then they could say that that battle was in 1971 or 1972 and the 1973 Wolvie could have adamantium.

There's a whole host of issues that go along with that, though, if you're trying to keep X-Men Origins in continuity and say that it takes place prior to the events of Days of Future Past--most notably the appearance of Patrick Stewart's Professor Xavier.

I have no idea what they're going to do about Wolverine and his adamantium, but I wouldn't mind him not having it in the past.

Last edited:
I don't think that 1973 Wolverine will have the adamantium. I think that once the mind swap happens Wolverine will be unable to return to his body in the future. I think he will willingly go under the adamantium process to set him on the path that led him to meeting the X-Men and Jean.

That would ring true with Stryker's comments in X2 that he volunteered for the process and bring the series full circle.

There is no way that Wolverine's mind won't end up back in the future (present) at the end of the movie. Think about it this way...

They want to use both sets of characters, present and past. If all they use the present characters for is to send Wolvie's mind back, what a waste. Won't happen. There will definitely be more present action and how can we be shown that things are "fixed" (like Jean is not dead) if Wolvie's mind doesn't come back?

Above, someone mentions how a younger, albeit bald Xavier was seen at the end of Origins. Totally forgot about that one. Hard for them to play with the timeline to make 1973 Wolvie have adamantium without totally forgetting about that one little thing!

Here's the problem...

Most of us would be ok with Wolvie having bone claws, but the general audience wants the metal! They will give the GA what they want. Again, no reason to give Wolvie back hi claws in the present, unless they just want to make the audience happy (possible), but story wise it is meaningless since most of this story will be in 1973.

So it will need to be 1973 Wolvie that had adamantium claws, and again that can only happen if they pretty much just ignore like 50% of Origins. As I said before, I would have no problem with them ignoring a big portion of Origins since that's what I do!

I think that Wolverine having claws and being a badass would be enough for most of the GA, they don't really need to be metal.

But the GA know him as the guy with the metal claws, the bone claws have barely gotten any exposure in the movies, even Origins, I think they were used 3 times in Origins, and 2 of those times were very quick instances.

That might not matter, as long as he is awesome in DOFP, the audience won't care if the claws are bone or metal.

Having not been careful enough with spoilers I knew to expect it and thought I wouldn't like it, but in the end it doesn't bother me at all.

I'm not a massive fan of the bone claws as a concept, I always preferred the idea that the claws were something that had been implanted in him, adding more to the idea that her was turned into a weapon. However, since they've established in the comics for 20 years and in the films as well I can live with it, they can look pretty cool.

For DOFP, they could easily bring the adamantium claws back with Magneto on side but if they stuck with bone I wouldn't mind. I'd be surprised if the 1973 Wolverine had adamantium, that wouldn't just ignore Origins but also X-Men and X2. I doubt Singer would contradict his own films that much.

I think his intentions are to retcon as much of X-Men 3 and Origins as he can without it being too obvious. Definitely as much of X3 as possible. He's said as much in the past.

That would ring true with Stryker's comments in X2 that he volunteered for the process and bring the series full circle.

That's already consistent with Origins, where he willingly underwent the process. Origins and X2 are supposed to be in the same continuity, meaning that we don't need something in DOFP to explain that line from X2. Even if DOFP changes the past of the timeline, that change hadn't happened yet from the POV of X2 so the X2 line refers to the continuity before the change.

Loki882 said:
That might not matter, as long as he is awesome in DOFP, the audience won't care if the claws are bone or metal.

Does he really need the metal claws in 1973? I imagine they could be somewhat useful against Sentinels in the future, but who or what is he going to go up against in the past?

Last edited:
That's already consistent with Origins, where he willingly underwent the process. Origins and X2 are supposed to be in the same continuity, meaning that we don't need something in DOFP to explain that line from X2. Even if DOFP changes the past of the timeline, that change hadn't happened yet from the POV of X2 so the X2 line refers to the continuity before the change.

Does he really need the metal claws in 1973? I imagine they could be somewhat useful against Sentinels in the future, but who or what is he going to go up against in the past?

He only volunteered in origins because of a lie. Here he would know the consequences and pain going down this path would bring but chooses it anyway.

I dont know, the GA dont tend to respond that well to change, though they have accepted different iterations of other characters in the past so we will see.

Bone claws might look cool though. Especially those claws don't look like actual bones.

In my country, there's an ad for a milk featuring a kid playing up as Wolverine and the kid has wood claws and the messy hair.

Here is one thing to think about...

1. Can we assume that the original timeline did not include Sentinals?

2. If so (we never saw/heard about them) then something changed the past to make them happen.

3. Once the past is affected, couldn't anything be changed?

4. We know Wolvie will go back to 1973 to stop the relesse of the Sentinals, but something had to have been changed prior to that point to cause Trask to create them.

5. Couldn't the timing of when Wolvie got his claws have been changed?

6. So is it possible that Wolvie will have his adamantium back in 1973?

7. Would this need to be shown to the GA?

I personally believe he should only have Bone claws in 1973, it would be in continuity with the rest of the series which he seems to be following with non of the dead characters from X3 returning in DOFP.

In the future though I hope he has the metal claws again, seeing him go up against sentinels with bone claws just wouldnt be the same, and there would be plenty of explanations they could use for him getting them back.

^ But my point is that the continuity had to have changed. Something changed the past to get Trask to spend so much time developing anti-mutant technology. And something changed to get the government to want to fund Trask and his technology. So this would be a whole new world, right? A world (timeline) where anything could be different.

Think about it this way...

Back in, let's say, 1963, Magneto is contacted by someone in the future and is informed that the future will be bad for mutants. He decides to take over. He kills Kennedy (not saying this will be the story, just an idea of an event that woud change the timeline)...

He controls the magic bullet that kills the President, but Trask sees the awesome power of Magneto and is so frightened of the possibilities he starts to develop anti-mutant tech.

This timeline is now different than the one we've come to know...

The sentinals are developed and released in 1973. Now all mutants are on the run, captured, or killed. This changes everything. It changes when characters might do things, what things characters might do, etc. All events from that moment on could be totally different.

Now, does the timeline change around those who have already lived through it (the one timeline theory)? Does the existing timeline just cease to exist and another replaces it? Or does the normal timeline go on as normal and a new timeline branches off from that moment?

Who knows which way they will go...

But the point is that the moment things change, everything else could change, including when (and if) Wolverine gets his adamantium. In many ways everything we've been shown in X-men, X2, X3, Origins and even The Wolverine; could possibly all be discounted because once Wolvie goes back (his mind) it's a whole new timeline and nothing that we have been shown has yet happened (except First Class).

Trask industries dont start developing the Sentinels until after The Wolverine, which was the last sequel, so why would things in the past have to change? Throughout the 1st 3 movies the government and other powerful figures couldnt figure out what to do with Mutants, after the cure failed, and they saw what a threat the mutants were in the attack on Alcatraz, Jean especially, so the Sentinels are the next step. The Sentinels will be in the future, that is the threat Magneto mentioned in the mid-credits scene in TW.

It all follows in continuity with the previous movies perfectly.

Trask industries dont start developing the Sentinels until after The Wolverine, which was the last sequel, so why would things in the past have to change? Throughout the 1st 3 movies the government and other powerful figures couldnt figure out what to do with Mutants, after the cure failed, and they saw what a threat the mutants were in the attack on Alcatraz, Jean especially, so the Sentinels are the next step. The Sentinels will be in the future, that is the threat Magneto mentioned in the mid-credits scene in TW.

Images show the Sentinels in the past. There's a still of one standing at Ronald Reagan's inauguration. The viral website also states 1973 as the year that Trask Industries unveils the Sentinel Program, and 2020 as the year when the Mark 10 Sentinel is created. So there have already been nine different Sentinel models by that point.

You are way, way off in your understanding of the timelime.

Here, take a look at the Trask Industries website, which will show you that the Mark I was released in 1973, way before The Wolverine! And, like I explained, since we've been shown the timeline in X1-3, First Class, Origins and The Wolverine; we know that the Sentinals do not yet exist in the timeline we've been shown. So for the Sentinals to be released in 1973 something MUST have changed prior to that time, affecting the timeline and possibly changing everything and anything from that moment on!

http://www.trask-industries.com/

Images show the Sentinels in the past. There's a still of one standing at Ronald Reagan's inauguration. The viral website also states 1973 as the year that Trask Industries unveils the Sentinel Program, and 2020 as the year when the Mark 10 Sentinel is created. So there have already been nine different Sentinel models by that point.

You are way, way off in your understanding of the timelime.

Here, take a look at the Trask Industries website, which will show you that the Mark I was released in 1973, way before The Wolverine! And, like I explained, since we've been shown the timeline in X1-3, First Class, Origins and The Wolverine; we know that the Sentinals do not yet exist in the timeline we've been shown. So for the Sentinals to be released in 1973 something MUST have changed prior to that time, affecting the timeline and possibly changing everything and anything from that moment on!

http://www.trask-industries.com/

Ah right, I must have missed all of that, thanks for the info guys, I have never really have taken to viral/internet marketing that comic book movies do so never bother with them.

Yeah this does change things a little, although it also explains the Sentinel in the DP in X-Men 3 as well. Its interesting stuff so now I really have no clue how it will all play out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"