Sports debate.

No that's not enough players for the fans. There are always f'ing snubs in these damn games, but they seem to get worse every time. I heard Nash may just sit out the All-Star game if he didnt get voted as a starter, but I can't remember where I heard it from.

What do you guys think about fans voting players into All-Star games? The NBA released the results of the fan vote, which determines the starting lineups, yesterday and there are some glaring mistakes:

+ Steve Nash, the reigning MVP two years running and the best player on the league's best team is not starting.
+ Dirk Nowitzki, the best player on the second-best team in the league, is not starting.
+ Shaquille O'Neal, who had only played in 4 games prior to the ballots being counted, is starting.

Do you guys see a problem with that? Or is it cool with you? :huh:

NBA All-Star Voting is a joke. Not that the other leagues are all that good either, but this seems like annual problem with the NBA

I think it should be a mix, 25% based on fan votes, 25% based on writers and 25% based on player votes 25% based on the coaches votes.

NBA All-Star Voting is a joke. Not that the other leagues are all that good either, but this seems like annual problem with the NBA

I think the presence of international players has a lot to do with the disparity.

Yao's teammates on the Houston Rockets tend to get a disproportionate amount of votes because basketball fans in China are naturally biased toward that team. Case and point: Houston Rocket Shane Battier finished 5th among Western Conference forwards with 1,025,643 votes; Shawn Marion of the Suns finished behind Battier with 551,173 votes despite the fact that he bests Battier in nearly every major statistical category.

And although Toronto's Chris Bosh is certainly an All-Star-caliber player, he should not have been named a starter over Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal or Washington's Caron Butler. However, Bosh is the best player on Canada's only team, and consequently received a disproportionate amount of votes.

I think the presence of international players has a lot to do with the disparity.

Yao's teammates on the Houston Rockets tend to get a disproportionate amount of votes because basketball fans in China are naturally biased toward that team. Case and point: Houston Rocket Shane Battier finished 5th among Western Conference forwards with 1,025,643 votes; Shawn Marion of the Suns finished behind Battier with 551,173 votes despite the fact that he bests Battier in nearly every major statistical category.

And although Toronto's Chris Bosh is certainly an All-Star-caliber player, he should not have been named a starter over Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal or Washington's Caron Butler. However, Bosh is the best player on Canada's only team, and consequently received a disproportionate amount of votes.

Excellent point, but on top of that the NBA is a favorites league. A lot of NBA fans have a player and not a team, and no matter what that player does they'll get their vote.

I don't see the big deal over the voting. The starters have always been the result of a popularity contest among the more visible stars (at least as far as I can remember). The coaches and Commissioner do a pretty good job in selecting the reserves and filling injury spots. The league has long said that it's the 'fan's game' and don't have any plans to change the voting format.

It's funny that people get bothered by All-Star selections when it's a pure fan vote for a meaningless exhibition game, but you hardly ever hear any gripes about the results for the All-NBA teams, which is actually based on merit.

Excellent point, but on top of that the NBA is a favorites league. A lot of NBA fans have a player and not a team, and no matter what that player does they'll get their vote.

The fact that the league says "Vote for your favorite players!" - not "the best" or "the most deserving," but favorite - only exacerbates the problem.

In the end, I think we complain a bit too much. We just need to understand that it is and will always be a fans game for the fans. I just wish there was some more deserving guys.

In the end, I think we complain a bit too much. We just need to understand that it is and will always be a fans game for the fans. I just wish there was some more deserving guys.

Yeah stupid fans....I don't mind the popular votes but guys like Shaq or Vince Carter several years back shouldn't even be on the ballot. I mean In both cases the guys played 0-10 games at most before the all-star break. I mean seriously that is what is ridiculous.

On another note, in the NBA 2006-2007 thread I was expressing my disgust with how the Warriors play up to good competition and down to lousy competition.

Which made me think about how NBA players in gerneral don't really seem to care. I mean players in the NCAA obviously have a lot more motivation and incentive to play as hard as they can and give 100% all the time.

Where as NBA players, at least a lot of them seem to only put in enough effort some or most of the time and put in a lot if the game is close or coming to an end.

I'm not saying all or most, but a lot seem to display an overall lack of heart or motivation. I was thinking that maybe this could be changed by having all contracts based on incentives. Of course this leads to a few problems, mainly by the players being big cry babies.

But if you take pride in your work and work ethic what is the problem? You can base a players contract on so many items that there are plenty of areas for them to earn big time cash.

Take the top contract from the pervious year and add 10% for the following season that way you always have an escalating pay rate.

Obviously one problem would be minutes played, which coaches could easily be told by the owners to limit certain players time on the court to decrease their salary. But that could be easily countered by basing it off of rebounds averaged out per minute, points averaged out per minute and etc.

I don't know I just think it would provide more of an incentive for players to try and earn their money.

Has anyone seen the OJ Mayo incident, read or even heard about it?

That is some bullsheet and the ref, Lazo should never be allowed to ref again anywhere for the rest of his life.

Links if you don't know what I am talking about. I hope Mayo's appeal wins because if it doesn't what high school athelete is safe from another such bogus frame?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=aw-mayo013107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Mayo shoud have walked off the court after his second T. I would have been afraid too if I was the ref, I mean, OJ did have that incident where he assaulted a female student.

He even wears 32 to draw more comparissons with his idol. :whatever:

Mayo shoud have walked off the court after his second T. I would have been afraid too if I was the ref, I mean, OJ did have that incident where he assaulted a female student.

He even wears 32 to draw more comparissons with his idol. :whatever:

Regardless the ref is in the wrong and was/is trying to make Mayo look like Ron Artest or Dennis Rodman. It would have been the smarter thing for him to walk off the court after his second tech, but I would have done the same thing.

For simply walking by the opposing players and giving a glare he gets a T? I would want an explanation as well.

Well I don't know why, but this thread always seems to have trouble staying alive. Maybe this topic will keep it alive for a little longer, but we'll see.

So what major sport records do you guys think will never be broken? I mean there are many sports that could be included, swimming, soccer, golf, weight lifting, poker, etc. but let's be honest here in America (no offense to people form other countries, I am sure it goes both ways) the majority of sport fans here only care about a few baseball, basketball, football and even some of those (boxing) are losing their relavance in our culture.

But there are always those that we covet as the pinnacle, or records that will never be broken or can't. One that usually comes to mind is Wilt's 100 points in a single game, but twice last year Kobe showed that it may be more possible than we may have before thought. He once scored 63 in three quarters against Dallas and then sat the fourth. Then he dropped 81 points on the Raptors.

Sure he still needed 19 more points to tie Wilt, but if he scored just an extra 5 points per quarter he would have 101, so it may be less out of reach than we thought.

On that note, I'm curious what records do you guys think are unbreakable, or close to it? Which ones are more out of reach than others? It's a topic my friends and I have once in an while, usually spured on by a Sportscenter mentioning of this player setting that mark or this player attaining this achievement. Then they go on to talk about this record will never be broken or that, but they always seem to forget certain ones, which I really don't get why not.

Well here is my list, sorry for the rant. Feel free to throw in any sport you want, I'm open to hear different recrods.

1. Joe Demaggio's 56 game (same season) hit streak....reason, anyone that knows baseball knows that it's hard enough just to hit the ball, getting a hit for 56 straight games (roughly 70 days) is one demanding task.

2. Wilt Chamberlin's single season 50.4 ppg avg....I'm not even going to justify this one, the next closest since with or without modern rules, shot clock and three seconds in the key, MJ with 37.1 ppg avg. then he realised he needed to get everyone else involved and won six rings. Nuff said.

3. Rickery Henderson's career stoeln base record 1406....this record I don't feel gets enough love. The next closest is Lou Brock with 938, active player, Kenny Lofton with 601, then Bonds 510, Biggio 410, o. Vizquel 367 (all of these players will be done in the next 5 years or less). That's 70 stoeln bases a year for 20 years. There are only two or three players right now that steal that many or even come close. It's not happening, as my friend puts it, it's a lost art.

4. Pete Rose Career 4,256 hits....Ichiro get roughly 200-250 hits a year, he would have to do that for 20 years to catch Pete, but Ichiro came into the league already having several years under his belt, as do all players from Japan.

5. Joe Louis 12 year reign as Heavyweight Champ of the World...let's face it, boxing is so shoddy now, especially in the Heavyweight division, I am surprised when someone holds the title for more than 12 months at a time. He may not have been undefeated, but the guy fought over a whole decade and didn't lose.

6. Jerry Rice's Career 22,895 receiving yards...second place, Tim Brown, 14,934. Sure Marvin has a great chance at catching him, but at 35 at the start of the next season, can he really play for 5 more years and avg. 1,840 yards each of those five? The most he has ever had is 1,722. Or 10 more years at 920, but play until he is 45? Harrison is probably going to come as close as anyone else to breaking that record, but he's not going to.

7. Wilt Chamberlin 27.2 rpg avg....yes it's the ol 20K man himself, sure he was only competeing against Bill Russell at the time and no shot clock nor 3 in the key but damn, the next closest with modern rules. Dennis Rodman 19.9 rpg.

8. "Pistol" Pete Maravich's 44.2 ppg career avg. NCAA..sure it's college, but hey we will never see this record come close to being broken.

9. Nolan Ryan Career 5,714 strike outs....next two closest, Clemens with 4,604 then Johnson with 4,544. So even if they average 250 a year, they need to do that for 5 more years and that's being very generous to them both.

10. Mike Tyson...youngest Heavyweight Champ 20 years old and 4 months....sure Tyson is a side show attraction now, but you had to respect and fear him when he was on top. The kid was "dynamite".

Well that is my top 10 for now. I will get back to this and re-evaluate it. Maybe add some Hockey, Golf and Tennis, maybe track and field. But that should be a good starting point for now. I feel kind of iffy about some of the older records, Chamberlin's scoring and such. Rules have changed and the playing field is a lot more close to even than it was 50 or 100 years ago when there was only one Babe Ruth or one Wilt Chamberlin.

I don't think anyone else will ever get to second place on that list (417 - Walter Johnson).

Has anyone seen the OJ Mayo incident, read or even heard about it?

That is some bullsheet and the ref, Lazo should never be allowed to ref again anywhere for the rest of his life.

Links if you don't know what I am talking about. I hope Mayo's appeal wins because if it doesn't what high school athelete is safe from another such bogus frame?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=aw-mayo013107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Everything about Oj Mayo screams "T.O!" only much worse:dry:
Needless to say I will enjoy his brutal conquest of USC and beyond, in addition to that he just might make Skip Bayless's head explode:up:

I know Mayo is only 18 or 19 or whatever, but he strikes me as a real ass. That nonsense he pulled in his last game was ridiculous. A lot of what I've read or seen of him just screams 'shameless self-promoter'. :whatever:

I know Mayo is only 18 or 19 or whatever, but he strikes me as a real ass. That nonsense he pulled in his last game was ridiculous. A lot of what I've read or seen of him just screams 'shameless self-promoter'. :whatever:

You read the New York Times (I'm pretty sure it was that one) article about Tim Floyd and his bizzare conversations with Mayo and his agent? It's as if he's a product of the "My Super Sweet Sixteen" populus.

You read the New York Times (I'm pretty sure it was that one) article about Tim Floyd and his bizzare conversations with Mayo and his agent? It's as if he's a product of the "My Super Sweet Sixteen" populus.
I didn't read the article, but I believe I caught some of the information relay. Some nonsense about Mayo refusing to give the coach his cell number "You don't contact OJ. OJ will contact you". :whatever:

That and some other nonsense about him wanting to go to LA to market himself for the NBA. This ****er needs to get over himself. He may be extremely talented, but this kid seems like a real ass.

So this seems to get brought from time to time and is still a huge debate and hot topic.

Should collegiate Atheletes get paid? Why or why not? Are they being exploited? What about the colleges and networks that are making billions, yes billions of dollars off of these students?

Then they get in trouble if they are offered any type of help what so ever either in monetary form or financially.

I'm not sure about the topic of this thread exactly, but I am a home town team loyalist. It's all about the Bruins, the Celtics, the Patriots, and the Red Sox for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"