General Trek Talk Star Trek: Equality?

kakarot069 said:
that's true... if anything, I would see it be brought up in maybe Enterprise, but not as much as in the TNG, DS9, or Voyager... The premis of Star Trek is showing of a world that has evolved and advanced so far that any illness, disease, poverty, hunger, and others have been abolished on earth, paving the way towards perfection, whatever that may be.

So then the creators of Star Trek believe Gays to be inferior and something that can be cured?

Another Query:

Are there ever any references to religion of Star Trek, I ask because to my Recolection Guinan was the most Jewish Character I can think of.

Roughneck said:
So I've been thinking again....and I saw no need to make a new thread as it fits here too.

What about Gays? To my knowledgeI can't think of any homosexual characters on Star Trek? I know there have been MANY Gay actors on the show, but I cannot think of any Gay Characters.

Am I wrong? Or does Rodenberry have something agains Handicaps, Midgets and Gays.

OH and in argumnt to the argument that in the 23rd Century they may have a cure for Downs Syndrome and and Midgitism, why did we still never see them on planets they've visited that weren't part of the federation, they visited many planets that were years behind them, years behind even us in this day and age, yet no Midgets.

Anyway I also wonder about the gays.

Consider the percentages...how many dwarfs do you see today on the streets? The percentage of normal sized vs little people is in the favour of normal people so it's not like you are going to see them all the time or everywhere you go. Of course it would be a curable defect in the STar Trek timeline and probably would be as there are enough health concerns with the conditions associated with dwarfism.

The same would be said of the mentally handicapped. The condition would be curable and thus would not exist within the federation and many of the cultures of equivalent technology.

Again it's all a matter of percentages. The stories of Star Trek the crews are generally dealing with the higher ups of the governments of the races they come across therefore it would be very unlikely they would find someone mentally handicapped in these types of positions.

Now the homosexual thing is a different story, they haven't had an out and out gay character although homosexuality has made appearances normally in the form of lesbianism, Dax with her lover from a different host, Kes when her body was taken over by a hostile alien intelligence and even Kira seemed to be bi in the mirror universe.

Roughneck said:
Another Query:

Are there ever any references to religion of Star Trek, I ask because to my Recolection Guinan was the most Jewish Character I can think of.
There isn't any religion of much signifcance amung Humans. The Bajorans are the most religions race, and too a lesser extent the Vorta and Jem'hedar. Both ****ship another race of intelligent beings. But the Bajoran prophets are much more benevolant than the Odo's changeling founders.

Also Guinan is an alien. Her race is called the El-lamurans and they live for thousands of years. She was living on earth in the 19th century. She talks about one of her realtives needing "a century or two to come around" after they had a fight.

Roughneck said:
So then the creators of Star Trek believe Gays to be inferior and something that can be cured?
I didn't say that...

homosexuality was not considered a problem in the 60's... but today, a lot of people still consider it taboo, and I'm betting none of the producers want to risk the popularity on a show such as Star Trek by having issues of people's sex life.

i forget his name, but the tactical officer on Enterprise NX-01 was supposed to be gay, but they scrapped it at the last minute.

Roughneck said:
So....I am watching "Trekkies" on Space right now and everyone is talking about how Star Trek is all about equality in the future......Races mingle freely without racism, Females can be Captain, ....stuff like that.

So I have to ask...and I'm serious....where are the midgets?

Never have I ever seen a midget on Star Trek....at least one that wasn't playing an alien or something.

So Can someone tell me if there was ever a midget in Star Fleet?

There are no midgets because any defects are genetically enginered out of people.

kakarot069 said:
I didn't say that...

homosexuality was not considered a problem in the 60's... but today, a lot of people still consider it taboo, and I'm betting none of the producers want to risk the popularity on a show such as Star Trek by having issues of people's sex life.

I know....It's just that the cast contained at least two gay guys......you'd thin it woulda come up.

well, personally, I'm glad it doesn't have it in that show... I don't watch it for for that.

yeah there was a lesbian kiss including Dax just cant remember with who and Riker did get it on with an alien who was of a neutral gender i saw that episode not to long ago and found it a little disturbing

Roughneck said:
So I've been thinking again....and I saw no need to make a new thread as it fits here too.

What about Gays? To my knowledgeI can't think of any homosexual characters on Star Trek? I know there have been MANY Gay actors on the show, but I cannot think of any Gay Characters.

Am I wrong? Or does Rodenberry have something agains Handicaps, Midgets and Gays.

OH and in argumnt to the argument that in the 23rd Century they may have a cure for Downs Syndrome and and Midgitism, why did we still never see them on planets they've visited that weren't part of the federation, they visited many planets that were years behind them, years behind even us in this day and age, yet no Midgets.

Anyway I also wonder about the gays.

That does it. The next captain of the Enterprise HAS to be a gay, handi-capped midget.

Roughneck said:

Maybe it is genetic and can be cured. :dry:

Who cares?

Roughneck said:

I don't know about that. They were pretty close to making Janeway a lesbian, weren't they?

Roughneck said:

Well, firstly most of the planets you reference are alien in nature. Why would you assume an alien race has similiar genetic abnormalities as humans?

Second, perhaps there were midgets and handicapped people, but also keep in mind the Enterprise and most vessels seen on the show were military vessels. Last I checked Handicapped people and midgets are not generally admitted into the military.

Third, As for Gays, I was not a big Voyager fan, so I could be wrong but was there not heavy implication that Janeway and 7 of 9 were lesbians? I read an article in TV guide about it.

Matt said:
I don't know about that. They were pretty close to making Janeway a lesbian, weren't they?

A bunch of fans wanted it, the directors didn't want to piss off some of their viewers.

Why does everyone think a gay has to be in the media?

You guys sound like the X-men fans in this board.

About the dwarf thing - Captain Kirk is currently dating one - but then again its as Denny on Boston Legal - but isn't it ironic - don't you think?!

there have even been a gay wedding on voyager (they talked about it they didnt show it ..)

the only star trek show that didnt have any gay characters was the first show..

and yes.. Dax was Bisexual

Kebab gud said:
there have even been a gay wedding on voyager (they talked about it they didnt show it ..)

I always considered the Paris/Be'Lanna relationship to be gay, although I could never decide on whether they were technically two women or two men. ;)

Roughneck said:

What if they do? There's nothing wrong with them thinking that. There is massive amounts of scientifict data to prove that case. It could go either way. So, nothing wrong with them believing that.

Well mutancy can be 'cured' that doesn't make it inferior, out of hand, does it? There's reason to believe that some homosexuality can be traced to the genes, and perhaps there is significant reason for the Federation to include homosexuality in the gene treatments all fetuses recieve along with down syndrome and dwarfism.

But I don't think any of that is grounds to accuse anyone of thinking gays are inferior. I mean, are people with down syndrome "inferior"? Midgets are 'inferior?" Perhaps they have challenges that we do not, but I don't think we can say "We're Better than them." That's just arrogant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"