Picard Star Trek: Picard - General Discussion Thread

I guess I’m the odd one out cause each episode is getting worse for me. And I really loved that first episode of the season. It was the best of any of these new series.

The biggest problem lies in that these feel like 21st century people in the 21st century. The character work is awful. Star Trek IV, First Contact and various Star Trek time travel episodes always felt like fish out of water, actual advanced people from the future interacting with us now (or past us) which gave it a lot of humor and heart. There’s really none of that here unfortunately.

Considering the characters are human, their backgrounds, holodeck time, and education its not that surprising they are managing in the 21st century. Itd be like me going back to the 1800s. I could manage that without sticking out.

Considering the characters are human, their backgrounds, holodeck time, and education its not that surprising they are managing in the 21st century. Itd be like me going back to the 1800s. I could manage that without sticking out.

You’d still stick out though. Just even in your speech. Again, watch any of the previous time travel Star Trek. There’s more cleverness involved. That’s the fun of doing time travel.

You’d still stick out though. Just even in your speech. Again, watch any of the previous time travel Star Trek. There’s more cleverness involved. That’s the fun of doing time travel.
The universal translator magically (and unrealistically) complicates things (that DS9 episode with Ferengi at Roswell). Most of the Sirena crew have a comm badge, so they probably benefit from the UT’s social cloaking effect. Rios doesn’t have one, and he’s either not blending in or blending in too well.

Just finished the first season and for someone that’s not a Trekkie I liked it.

The universal translator magically (and unrealistically) complicates things (that DS9 episode with Ferengi at Roswell). Most of the Sirena crew have a comm badge, so they probably benefit from the UT’s social cloaking effect. Rios doesn’t have one, and he’s either not blending in or blending in too well.

I understand that in Gene's mind a Federation of many languages made some kind of tolerant sense but its a **** way to run a galactic empire or Federation and its ludicrous that they managed to invent a universal translator before they could implement a standard language or find a way to quickly teach a standard language. At the very least the Federation should be teaching every human and everyone with mouths and specific vocal types the same language and make it compulsory while in the service. Look at the chaos that ensued when the translators failed on Discovery.

I'm amazed an enemy hasn't crippled the Federation just by compromising its translator tech. Id love to see the Borg do that. Infect the translators, make them fail, or translate bad orders across all of Starfleet.

The universal translator is probably used because not every alien species in the Federation can make sounds we could understand. It is easier to translate each species language into something we can understand. A universal language is not an option because not every species could make the same sound.

Anyway, this series is horrible. I get why Patrick Stewart said yes to the money, but the show isn't worth destroying your characters legacy for. But I guess if you weigh a fictional character vs having real money in your golden years yeah I get it. Take the money and run Patrick. Enjoy your time, I am going to finish the show just so I can see how this crap turns out. I am not expecting much.

Picard doesn't seem different in this series. Just older.

Patrick doesn't need the money. He's a screen and stage legend, and has a net worth of around $70 million.

They brought back a memorable character from Star Trek IV.

I’m finding that season 2 is much more entertaining and engaging than season 1. Of course, a lot depends on how the story arc is ultimately resolved. If the resolution is weak, then the prior episodes get retroactively diminished.

(Re: 2x05)

Worf's great-something grandfather is on Adam's review board.

Q gave Adam a literal magic bullet. How very James Bond-ish.

Whatever it's supposed to be in-universe, Adam has a Stargate in his lab.

Agnes is a Cylon now, so of course she's wearing a red dress like Six and seeing people who aren't physically there. The security person's comment about Agnes talking to herself is a nice bit of foreshadowing.

The bank vault door on Tallinn's transporter makes this TOS fan happy, even though it's completely impractical for blending in with normal Earth apartment technology.

Tallinn has the same amused disdain for human laws that Laris does. Seems likely they're the same character. Since Tallinn's assignment in 2024 depends on Jean-Luc's history playing out as he remembers it so that he can travel back in time to help her, guarding Jean-Luc all through his life becomes part of her mission. No early retirement for Tallinn.

Tallins's gun looks like Dr. Soren's. Soren is El-Aurian. El-Aurians live for centuries and can change their appearance. Tallinn/Laris is El-Aurian.

Adam was evasive when Kore asked him about her mother. Maybe Kore is a genetic construct, a flawed prototype Augment.

I wondered how a human mission to Europa and Io could cope with the radiation around Jupiter, but 2024 already has radiation-proof force fields, so no problem there.

Last edited:
The Borg Queen is truly terrifying!!!
Can see Arik Soong got his fascination with Genetics from Adam Soong.
While we talking about Adam, he looks like he got a knack with robotics too with those drones of his.
His daughter being a lookalike of Soji makes sense that Kore be a memory passed down from Soongs and later added to Data's memories, even if it was subconscious memory.
Love the Kirk and Gary Seven shoutout.
How far will Q go to teaching Picard a lesson, gotta give it to him, when he goes in he goes fully in.
Nice to know Jurati got her own Tyler Durden. Loving Jurati's Number Six red dress too.

I'm enjoying this show.

Very much.

But..

To think that DS9 season 2 had this to say way before Picard season 2 and even Enterprise season 4:
GARAK: I can't believe that I'm having lunch with a man who thinks The Never-Ending Sacrifice is dull.

BASHIR: I just thought the story got a little redundant after a while. I mean the author's supposed to be chronicling seven generations of a single family, but he tells the same story over and over again. All of his characters lead selfless lives of duty to the state, grow old and die. Then the next generation comes along and does it all over again.

GARAK: But that's exactly the point, Doctor. The repetitive epic is the most elegant form of Cardassian literature, and The Never-Ending Sacrifice is it's greatest achievement.

DS9 2x22 ("The Wire")

I love the borg queen’s smug little chuckle right before she does something evil

Cant wait!!!

They also need to give us a captains special.

Mind blowing to say the least, not what I was expecting to see tonight on First Contact Day!!!

I did think how could you one up and top last year's Season 2 trailer reveal with Q, well now we know, you just tease the whole TNG senior staff return.

Not sure how Brent Spiner will factor in with Data's goodbye in Season One finale. So either B4 returning or Altan Inigo Soong coming back. Hell with the time travel heavy Season Two Adam Soong could be coming to the 25th Century.

This also ask the question how Season Two going to end and how Q will factor into all this. Has Q done all of Season Two to show Picard he needs his old crew back? What does the TNG Combadge have to do with all this? Someone contacting him from one of this TNG adventures and needs there help? I don't know but I'm sure dam excited to see everyone back!!!

Just hope O'Brien, DS9 and Wesley make a cameo in this goodbye of a Season Three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"